Back! And with some move tips!

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
DaveOhare01
Apprentice

Back! And with some move tips!

Post by DaveOhare01 »

Hey all!

Yep, finally back to the news posting and chatting on CCC! For anyone who wants to know, the move went well -- aside from the usual car problems, lots of snow through Detroit and the, ahem, dietary issues from three days of coffee and 'road' food.

I, however, still don't have a job. AND, as the universe may have it, might be moving right back where I came from. *laugh*

So, on some castle-releated issues, moving large MOCs. I should have taken some pics to add to the article put up on the main page a while back, but I didn't. So, all you get is the text. yeah, how 80's.

To move the Black Tower, I broke it down into the 11 main sections. Three tower sections -- each about 5 feet tall. One top section, and a lot of lower tower bits and the landscaping. The small parts were easy to move, I just put them in boxes with a lot of padding -- no help to you there.

But, for the really big parts, I think I have some good advice. I wrapped the towers in a LOT of bubble wrap and taped the wrapping pretty tight. I figured this would help with the overall structural integrity of the building as it got bounced around by the movers, etc. I also used Saran Wrap (of Glad Cling Wrap if you've got it) to wrap the bits.

For packing, I had to buy wardrobe boxes for the three tallest sections. After bubble and Saran wrapping, I just stood the sections up in the boxes and packed pillows around the structure. I didn't put anything on the bottom of the box -- I figured a flat surface would be better than a pillow, etc, for weight distribution, etc.

So! After all that, the entire creation moved really well. Only a few small bits came off -- and they were easy to find in all that wrapping. The movers did comment that I was more than a little insane as the volume occupied in the moving truck by the Lego boxes was huge -- all total about 20 large boxes, plus the three wardrobe boxes. *laugh* And to think I need about 100 times that amount of Lego for the next MOC. Ah well.

Glad to be back!

Dave O
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Welcome back Dave, glad to know that your tower survived!

Good luck finding a job, and thanks for the posting on moving large creations.

freak
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Quote: "And to think I need about 100 times that amount of Lego for the next MOC."

Dude! You've got to start thinking bigger. Next up, a 1:1 scale replica of the Tower of London. Then on to the Great Wall of China. Sheesh. It's this small scale thinking that keeps your MOCs so unimpressive.

:wink:

Seriously, though, what are you planning on a scale bigger than the castle you've already made? Will your house hold all that brick?

Bruce
DaveOhare01
Apprentice

Tower Size

Post by DaveOhare01 »

Bruce!

Indeed, well, if you are going to be insane, you may as well be insane.

The current plan is based on 265 baseplates (16x16). I've planned a huge landscape, ocean, town and keep. I will finish the drawings I've started and upload them in a few days.

All told, I am planning almost a 40-brick rise from back to front -- so I suspect I am talking about another $10-15,000 in bricks. Ah well. Someone has to keep those folks at Bricklink in cookies!

Dave
David C.
Peasant

Post by David C. »

The current plan is based on 265 baseplates (16x16). I've planned a huge landscape, ocean, town and keep. I will finish the drawings I've started and upload them in a few days.

All told, I am planning almost a 40-brick rise from back to front -- so I suspect I am talking about another $10-15,000 in bricks. Ah well. Someone has to keep those folks at Bricklink in cookies!

:shock:

Well, folks, I guess I may as well hang it up now. I'll never see that many Lego bricks, let alone own them. What's the use any more...

Seriously, is that how many more bricks you will need? You could set up your own Brickfest at your house by the time you are done! 8)
David Cheramie

Acts 17:29-31
DaveOhare01
Apprentice

Heheh

Post by DaveOhare01 »

David C --

Well, I said this was my PLAN. *laugh* There is no way I can afford the bricks right now -- and for the near future. ;) But, I may as well dream! heheheh.

I will start a new thread tomorrow or so with scans of the plans and you all can tell me if you think the ideas will work or not. And did you like how I transposed the 265 from 256. Ah well, the god of squares is raising the price of a 2x4 classic gray brick as we speak....

Now, to go back to planning that bank robbery to fund my Lego habit .......

Dave O