Name to replace Rohanador, need help!

Discussion of Castle Themed stories

What should replace the name Rohanador

Kydon
59%
Venaria (The name of my moms landscaper)
21%
Monarth
14%
Reply to poll if you have any other things you think would be good.
7%

Total votes: 29

Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

footsteps wrote: For the general idea of naming conventions for your story, pick a language (LOTR "elvish" was based loosely on Finnish) and use that to influence your choices.

Alan
Actually I think it was based mostly on welsh. Aragorn or Arowen, have much welsh influence.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Prince Imdol wrote:
footsteps wrote: For the general idea of naming conventions for your story, pick a language (LOTR "elvish" was based loosely on Finnish) and use that to influence your choices.

Alan
Actually I think it was based mostly on welsh. Aragorn or Arowen, have much welsh influence.

P.I
That depends on which language. Sindarin clearly has a Welsh feel yes while Quenya is clearly based on Finnish (and Telerin for example is by some believed to have an Italian flavour).

Anyway, I will echo Footstep´s suggestion to "make up" a lanugage of your own (it needn´t be very advanced).

And if you want to lose the Tolkien connection you should probably change names as Cair Ithiln and Cair Amroth as well.....
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Maedhros wrote: That depends on which language. Sindarin clearly has a Welsh feel yes while Quenya is clearly based on Finnish (and Telerin for example is by some believed to have an Italian flavor).

Anyway, I will echo Footstep´s suggestion to "make up" a language of your own (it needn´t be very advanced).

And if you want to lose the Tolkien connection you should probably change names as Cair Ithiln and Cair Amroth as well.....

I have actually. It is mentioned in the Prolouge, which will be up in a few days. It has a couple of verbs, and some good words. This was maid up what the story was just a starter.
I have already lost both of those two towers, but Cair, in welsh means castle. I don't want to loose Tolkien, I just wanted to change my name.
Laso, you right about which form of elvish you mean. What I am referring to is the most common one, mentioned in the silmarrilion, movie, and the series.

P.I
Thomas C.

Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Prince Imdol wrote:
Maedhros wrote: That depends on which language. Sindarin clearly has a Welsh feel yes while Quenya is clearly based on Finnish (and Telerin for example is by some believed to have an Italian flavor).

Anyway, I will echo Footstep´s suggestion to "make up" a language of your own (it needn´t be very advanced).

I have actually. It is mentioned in the Prolouge, which will be up in a few days. It has a couple of verbs, and some good words. This was maid up what the story was just a starter.
I have already lost both of those two towers, but Cair, in welsh means castle. I don't want to loose Tolkien, I just wanted to change my name.
Laso, you right about which form of elvish you mean. What I am referring to is the most common one, mentioned in the silmarrilion, movie, and the series.

P.I
Quenya is about as common in the books as Sindarin is... in fact most longer quotes and poems are in Quenya (Namárië comes to mind...)

Most place-names are in Sindarin though.... (But Quenya is the most well-developed and known of the two)

EDIT: Not that it matters but castle in Welsh is spelt Caer..... ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Lawkeeper
Peasant

Post by Lawkeeper »

Spongey wrote:Good luck on your quest to get this published. I think that it's a great story. By the way, I voted for Venaria, because it sounds like a very mythical name, perfect for a vast country.
I agree, Venaria is a good name.

Lawkeeper
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Please do not bring up old topics, than post a two word post about it. This was already ended a long time wit the name Monarth.
Please do not do it, as it is anoying and a cheat to get posts.
I do not mean to be mean. Every new person does it, and so did I.

P.I
Thomas C.

DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

Prince Imdol wrote:Please do not bring up old topics, than post a two word post about it. This was already ended a long time wit the name Monarth.
Please do not do it, as it is anoying and a cheat to get posts.
I do not mean to be mean. Every new person does it, and so did I.

P.I
cheat? it is not a game to get the highest post count! :wink:
but i agree with you.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

DNL wrote:
cheat? it is not a game to get the highest post count! :wink:
but i agree with you.
Heh, I am just saying what somebody told me when I did that.

P.I
Thomas C.

Emp.Justinian
Archer

Post by Emp.Justinian »

When I wanted a name to use for a story I picked a name of one of the seraphim in madlen Le'ngal's many waters. The names are exotic enough to use as the names of people from other worlds, or the names of countries as the case may be, but come of the toung fairly easily. They also sound nice to the ear, and not like a climbing plant, of dangerous form of bacteria.

God speed

Emp.Justinian
Support the true king, Support SavaTheAggie!

A proud member of the Legion of Aggie

I Pledge Allegiance to SavaTheAggie
and to the empire for which it rules
one Empire under One Admin
invincible, with tyranny and injustice for all.
TheOrk
Master

Re: My Quest is done!

Post by TheOrk »

Prince Imdol wrote:I have picked the name. (Kind of unexpected) but I thought about it and I am saying Monarth is the best. I guess my site will be www.monarth.net.
I did like Kydon and Venaria a lot, so I will use them as other kingdom names in the story.
Thanks for all of your help.
Good choice P.I!

That's the one that I would have picked. It has a nice regal feel to it. The others are good too, but not as good.