LCC- Why did you choose your Faction?

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Lord Mercat
Laborer

LCC- Why did you choose your Faction?

Post by Lord Mercat »

So, I was going through the inner faction jibber jabber thread, and as that's mostly dedicated to insulting the other factions and the like, I decided to make this topic. I am curious, and I believe others will be as well- Why did you choose your faction? Please note, I'm not looking for some silly reason regarding frogs, sandy pants, snotcicles, or outlaw streakers. I, and hopefully others, are legitimately interested in why you chose your faction. Is it because your collection of parts or figs on hand best fits the faction you chose? Is it because you like the community of the faction you chose, or perhaps the setting, or the color scheme- or even something else entirely? If you would like to share, please post it here!

As for me, I waffled on joining for about a year before I finally chose Lenfald. I had seriously considered all of the factions at some point with the exception of Garheim- partly because I don't really have many figures or parts that would allow me to build properly for it. Also, Garheim felt too isolated for me to want to choose, it seems that when things happen, they happen in southern Roawia. I saw Garheim as sort of like the side character in that everything major that happens, doesn't ever happen in Garheim, it's always elsewhere, with Garheim kind of looking on from the sidelines (this is not intended as an insult, just my observations as an undecided).

Originally I had also dismissed Lenfald as being "too stereotypical" for lack of a better word. It seems most castle builders prefer to build in the classic European style that is Lenfald. In addition, I'm not a huge fan of Tolkien style elves, they've always had too much of a Mary-Sue vibe to me.

Then, looking at Loreos, I liked the faction, it was a different style of building than what I've seen most castle builders use, and Dark Red (I know officially its red, but dark red is close enough) is one of my favorite colors to use for armies and the like- (In fact my largest force of figs best suit either Loreos or possibly the outlaws). Ultimately, as attached as I was to the idea of being a Loreesi at the start, I discarded the idea because I didn't have the parts collection to suit building in the Loreesi style. In addition, I felt that initial like of the faction fade over time as I thought about it. I didn't really like the direction Loreos was taking- being one of the primary pushers of the magic isles crusades, and later attempting to invade Lendfald and install a puppet ruler, all contributed to that initial strong liking of the faction to fade.

Looking at the Outlaws, I almost joined them. I really liked the lack of a set civilization, the greater freedom, the color black, etc. These guys have the most opportunity, I could build in any style I wanted. So why didn't I become an outlaw? Because, when I finally came to my decision, I wanted to tell a story that was different from the stories being told. Most people's characters consist of such things as charming bacon-loving rogues, noble knights, expert archers, etc- good people who try to do the right thing and fight for justice, or roguish, but still noble-hearted bandits, and on rare occasions there are a few evil wizards. I also noticed, pretty much all of the characters who were anything other than 90-100% white knight were in the outlaw faction. The character I wanted to create was different. I wanted an amoral, coin driven mercenary that would show off the darker side of life in Roawia, someone who is anything but a good person, but neither is he a straight up villain. In other words, he would fit in best as an outlaw. So I deliberately chose not to be an outlaw. Strange? Perhaps.

I decided to take another look at Lenfald. As time went on, I liked this faction more and more- as I saw what the members were building it seemed less stereotypical and more interesting by the day. I liked the members, and my parts collection had always fit this faction best. Although I don't have many green soldiers, that was fine because its always more fun to have your enemies outnumber you right? Also, Lenfald's image fit in perfectly with the story I wanted to tell. My character, who was anything but a good person, had to be a member of one of the 3 "civilized factions". I wanted to show that corruption exists beyond mere faction lines, and I could do that best if I wasn't an outlaw. So I joined Lenfald, and have been very happy with the decision ever since. I realize my reasons for joining are a bit strange, but it's a fantastic faction nonetheless, and I wouldn't change my decision for anything.

Anyhow, sorry for the wall of text, and I'm interested to see everyone else's thought processes behind their faction choice!
Sir Erathor
Landlord

Re: LCC- Why did you choose your Faction?

Post by Sir Erathor »

Great idea for a topic man, I'm sure interested to find out why people chose their respective factions!

You all know I'm part of Loreos, but it took a long while for me to decide which faction to join. I'll go right back to the beginning...

In 2012 I found MOCpages, but I just browsed through the creations there, and I quickly discovered some builders I really loved, all of whom were (and are still), part of the LCC. Those builders were Mark Erickson, Matthew Oh and Simon S., amongst others. These three are members of Lenfald and Loreos, and upon hearing of the LCC I headed to this site to find out more.

Over time, I often read through all the LCC information threads, as well as the faction threads themselves, and I decided that I wanted to join Lenfald or Loreos. I didn't want to join Garheim or the Outlaws as my figure collection did not favour those factions, but I had plenty of red and green soldiers. Living in England, I seriously considered joining Lenfald as they build in a Medieval England style, but the Kingdoms Lions, the main Loreesi force, are my favourite LEGO castle army. Seeing that some Loreesi builders used light bley to build very appropriate MOCs, and that some awesome people were in the faction, persuaded me over to Loreos. This was after a few-month decision period, but by the end I was set on Loreos and the crusading feel it had to it. I loved the fact that I didn't need a load of tan to build in that style. I also felt that the Loreesi had a better spirit as a whole (don't hate!).

Well, that's my story, please tell us yours!
For the Glory of Loreos!
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/122904323@N02]Flickr[/url]|[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/92143]MOCpages[/url]|[url=http://thebricktavern.blogspot.co.uk/]The Brick Tavern[/url]
[img]http://www.roawia.byethost7.com/files/?file=Titles-Banners/Loreos/Loreos-Liaison.png[/img] [img]http://www.roawia.byethost7.com/files/?file=Titles-Banners/Loreos/Loreos-03-Militia.png[/img]
Jackson of Garheim
Villein

Post by Jackson of Garheim »

Good topic!

I heard about Classic Castle of Flickr, and it looked like so much fun I wanted to sing up as soon as possible! I chose Garheim because:

1. I like snow!
2. I have a lot of white bricks that are good for building snow :)
3. I had good Garheim minifigure parts. :) (and absolutely zero red or green minifigures!) :(
4. The only flag pieces I have are blue and dark blue. (Garhiem colors!)
5. I love doing rockwork, and Garheim has a lot of rocks!
6. I saw Garheim has some really great builders, such as AK_Brickster, General JJ, and Louie le Brickvalier. I saw some of their awesome work and decided I wanted to be a part of their faction.

So, therr's my thought process on choosing to join Garheim! :)
[url=https://www.flickr.com/people/111421927@N08/]My Flickr[/url]
Ronin Dragonslayer
Journeyman

Post by Ronin Dragonslayer »

Cool idea for a thread. :D

I found LCC the same way Erathor did and joined for a lot the same reasons: great builders, a cool community - reasons to make an AFOL build again. It was an easy tie for me between Lenfald and Garheim; I love the classic-medieval style of building, I love stealth and archery, and I love nature. Loreos seemed too hot for my tastes and, at the time, was a little overcrowded; it also boasted some of the best builders and I wanted to help tip the scales another way. The Outlaws seemed a rabble to me and I wanted to make more of a "good" character. I ended up choosing Garheim after seeing a few more builds and reading backstories, and the land of Garheim itself called to me. I love mountains and snow, pine forests, tundras, ice-choked seas, great wood-and-stone mead halls, and the overall Nordic and Celtic theme of the north; I've since come to love the Garhim way of life, too, and can't imagine being in any other faction... unless I got turned into a werewolf (I hear there is a secret bacon clan... :wink: ).

(allow me a little propaganda/school spirit)
For Honor, Loyalty, and Brotherhood! For Garheim!
Ryan "Ronin" Dragonslayer
josdu
Gentleman

Post by josdu »

Well, (BTW, nice topic) my an answer is pretty simple, when I joined, Lenfald and Loreos were both closed so even though I probably wouldn't have joined either anyway I still only had the options of Garhiem of Outlaws (the one thing I don't like about the Outlaws is Magic) . So I joined the Outlaws because:
1)I don't have good pieces for Garhiem. Like I didn't have either of their flags, I don't have too great of an amount of good Garhiem torsos and I don't have enough snow friendly bricks :tasty: .
2)I do have good pieces for the Outlaws. Like I have lots of red and black torsos, I (can rant on and on about it)*punto*.
3)I like (and have good pieces for) the Outlaws stile. Basically dark damp builds swamps ect.
4)And of course I like red and Black :twisted: :D !
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/98280612@N05/?details=1#]Flickr[/url]

Let [them] see your good works, and glorify your father which is in heaven.
Matthew 5:16
Sir Valiant
Archer

Post by Sir Valiant »

Great idea for a thread Mercat!

I joined the LCC and Lenfald specifically for quite a few different reasons. The first is probably that my collection centers almost entirely on a medieval, England style of building. I own barely any pieces that would fit either Loreos or Garheim, and being an outlaw just isn't my thing. The reason my collection is like this is because growing up I have absolutely loved the forest and river. (I live close by both!) Besides the pieces I own the characters and personalities in Lenfald appealed to me as a person, I enjoyed their builds and the storylines that went along with them.

Secondly, I needed some inspiration. I have known about Classic Castle for 5+ years and followed the LCC from the start. After adding to my LEGO collection, I really had the desire to make some of my own MOCs instead of always looking at others. Although, I have been MOCing since a child, only now that I have been involved in community have my builds vastly improved. I have to say thanks to you guys here, I've learnt a lot! :)

Also, the storyline of the LCC provided not only the inspiration for building, but also for writing. I love to write and actually have fourteen chapters of a book I'm working on. The main characters of my book live in a place not unlike Lenfald. Once again, Lenfald became the right choice. This reason is probably the biggest. I have to say that so far I have enjoyed my stay and hope to continue to keep building for the LCC this year.

Edit: I just remembered that I had to wait about half a year to join Lenfald anyway because it was closed to new members...glad I waited! :)

Sir Valiant~
"Soli Deo Gloria"
Sir Valiant~ ----------[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/93632612@N08/]Flickr[/url]
ludzik
Steward

Post by ludzik »

Being from Europe and being fascinated with the medieval history there really was only once choice for me..... Also I love forests more then desert (I live in the desert area now and I like it too... but forest rules !!)
GyustSil
Laborer

Post by GyustSil »

Very nice topic! :)

I found LCC quite by accident. One year ago, I guess, I decided to search from LEGO Catle on Google, and came across Mark Ericson (Mark of Falworth) gallery. I have simply found it amazing, with such awesome stories and characters. The, browsing around the gallery, I've found a link to LCC, and decided to see what was it about. I've been fascinated by the storyline, the builders and, well, everything. I've always liked to build LEGO, so I thought it would be a great way to both improve my buldings and build new things.

At first, I've thought about joining Loreos, as the first contact I had had with LCC had had been through a Loressi. But then, I analysed the others factions and something inside me said I should join Lenfald.

I guess the manly reason for this is that Lenfald is the kind of palce I would want to live in. Forests and a quite bland weather are thing I really like. I've felt that Lenfald was the right place for my character. And I dare say one of the manly things that attracted me to Lenfald was the sigil. I simply adore dragons. They're by far my favorite fantastical creatures ever. And green is a colour I'm really fond of, so it all converted in me joining Lenfald :)

I also do enjoy a little bit of froglicking once in a while... :lol:
[img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3834/95487351 ... 3d8e_m.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
"Dulce, et decorum est pro patria mori" Quintus Horatius Flaccus
For the Great Lenfald!
GyustSil
Laborer

Post by GyustSil »

Very nice topic! :)

I found LCC quite by accident. One year ago, I guess, I decided to search from LEGO Catle on Google, and came across Mark Ericson (Mark of Falworth) gallery. I have simply found it amazing, with such awesome stories and characters. The, browsing around the gallery, I've found a link to LCC, and decided to see what was it about. I've been fascinated by the storyline, the builders and, well, everything. I've always liked to build LEGO, so I thought it would be a great way to both improve my buldings and build new things.

At first, I've thought about joining Loreos, as the first contact I had had with LCC had had been through a Loressi. But then, I analysed the others factions and something inside me said I should join Lenfald.

I guess the manly reason for this is that Lenfald is the kind of palce I would want to live in. Forests and a quite bland weather are thing I really like. I've felt that Lenfald was the right place for my character. And I dare say one of the manly things that attracted me to Lenfald was the sigil. I simply adore dragons. They're by far my favorite fantastical creatures ever. And green is a colour I'm really fond of, so it all converted in me joining Lenfald :)

I also do enjoy a little bit of froglicking once in a while... :lol:
[img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3834/95487351 ... 3d8e_m.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
"Dulce, et decorum est pro patria mori" Quintus Horatius Flaccus
For the Great Lenfald!
DrakkVonLego
Villein

Post by DrakkVonLego »

For me it was mostly about the magic. Other reasons include: Having a morally darkish gray character fits in more with Outlaws, I like being the on the underdog in terms of competition, and I absolutely love the new dragon soldiers. Joining the LCC has provided me a chance to see some great creations, rp a little, learn new techniques, and motivate myself with competition. I do have to say that the jibber jabber thread isn't my type of rp (that type of discussion breeds animosity, not competitiveness imo), but it seems like a lot of people enjoy it. Very interesting thread, looking forward to what others have to say!

-Drakk
"The desire of gold is not for gold. It is for the means of freedom and benefit." -R. W. Emerson
"Mmmm, gold." -Drakk
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/101527150@N07]Flickr[/url]
animmortal
Villein

Post by animmortal »

When I read about LCC I wanted to do something different. Normally I pick good aligned characters, but I saw magic was outlawed and I LOVE magic so I decided to make a more chaotic neutral character. Thus Eldak the outlaw necromancer was born....or uh ?revived?
mpoh98
Justiciar

Post by mpoh98 »

Fantastic topic!

I remember how I first found LCC. I found Mark Erickson on MOCpages, and was totally awed by his creations. I decided I wanted to try a hand at castle. So at first, just at home, I started trying out different castle builds, they were all terrible at first. :lol: But as I got better, I kept looking at Mark Erickson for inspiration. That's when I saw what he was building for, this thing called LCC. I decided to investigate, since he had a link on his homepage. That's when I found The Lands of Classic Castle. I immediately fell in love with it, and joined!

Deciding which faction to join was a very easy decision. First, my pieces were all focusing on greenery, forests, Lenfald-y stuff. Second, I loved the idea of Rangers, mostly from the series Ranger's Apprentice. And Lenfald obviously is very Ranger-like. Third, I loved the lush Dark green color, it is one of my favorite. Fourth, the stories, I loved Lenfald's stories. Especially Caelan's stories and builds, they inspired me a ton. I wanted to be on his side! :lol: These and many other reasons helped my choice to join Lenfald.

I really wanted to join Loreos, due to looking at Mark Erickson's builds, but I have no desert colors basically, so that wiped out that choice. Garheim, sure it was cool (pun intended), but again, it did not suit my pieces. I have basically no white/snow pieces, so definitely can't join Garheim. And the Outlaws, they never really appealed to me, I prefer the valiant, noble, just side of things. Not the wild, crazy, law-breaking ones (although I might break a few laws if I need to, for the good of all ;) ). Robin Hood is an exception, as he was just, noble, and valiant.

So yeah, these are my reasons why I joined Lenfald, and I to this day never regret my choice. My faction is sweet, I have made new friends, and I love it! The other factions are awesome as well, but Lenfald to me is just the best! FOR THE GLORY OF LENFALD!
Last edited by mpoh98 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/75100]Mocpages[/url], [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/92459453@N08/]Flickr[/url]
Support [url=https://ideas.lego.com/projects/74333]Huckleberry Finn[/url] on Lego Ideas!
Philippians 4:13
gid617
Freeman

Post by gid617 »

Well, I was a Kaliphlin (which is similar to Loreos) guild member in Guilds of Historica, so that likely tipped the scale a bit. It was mostly through Mark of Falworth's builds that I discovered LCC, and one day I decided to go through the topics and see which guild I preferred. I pretty quickly narrowed it down to Loreos or Outlaws. I've never had the kind of pieces that would go with Lenfald and, though Garhiem is 'cool', it seemed a bit out of the loop - too high up north or something. And then the outlaws have too much of a focus on magic for me. So Loreos it was!

And there's a lake in Loreos named Genava. And my name is Geneva. I dare say that was a nudge in the right direction. :wink:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gid617/]Flickr[/url]
StephenB
Peasant

Post by StephenB »

I joined Lenfald because the building style was really fitting for my collection. I also do love the classic european style that you mentioned. I have a large (though not as large as Mark Erickson's) collection of dark and light bley/grey slopes, bricks, and a mediocre amount of green plates and foliage, so I thought my collection was best suited for this faction. I also chose Lenfald because of the Lenfel's way of living. They are archers, archery is a sport that I love, fueled by the awesomeness of Legolas, Hawkeye and Katniss Everdeen, of course. They live in the forests as hunters. I love building scenes set in forests.

Before joining Lenfald, I considered joining Loreos, only because everyone was saying it was the best faction while at this point had heard nothing of the other factions. So of course, I jumped in on the bandwagon and believed it. Then I did my research on the factions, and found out that Loreos was set in deserts, one biome I don't have a sizable collection to build for.
For the might of Lenfald!
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

This is a great topic idea. :D

As most of you know, I was involved with LCC from the earliest planning stages. As we started to flesh out the four factions, borrowing ideas from GoH as well as coming up with our own, I found myself more and more drawn to Garheim. I'm from Alaska originally, and the idea of building snowy MOCs seemed like a really neat change of pace to the traditional forest scenes that everyone seems to gravitate to.
Also, blue is my favorite color, and I came out of my dark age during the Fantasy line (Crownies) and also really liked the Black Falcons, so there was some appeal in that area as well. Norse culture and mythology also interest me, and I thought that doing a faction with Nordic/viking influences would be really fun.

When it came time to figure out who would lead each faction, I think I volunteered to lead either the Outlaws or Garheim, and I think I must have conceded the Outlaws to Lord of Orks because, well let's face it, he's an orc, haha.

As they say, the rest is history. I'm so proud of my faction and all of the great members within. I have no desire whatsoever to switch factions, and I doubt I ever will!

Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!