Large display guidance...

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
doc069
Bailiff

Large display guidance...

Post by doc069 »

:?:
I am starting the planning for a large Helm's Deep scene and am looking for some guidance into creating a 'mobile' structure.

As for an idea of the scale, this link shows half (sans the undead figs) of the orc army: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=262937.
The other half are still awaiting the painful twisting of the darn hands the right way around - I swear Lego turns them backwards to tick me off - so they can hold their weapons (mostly spears).

Hopefully, one day, I will be able to pack-up the display in the wife's van and bring it to one of the fine events that I have read about.

Other than technic pins, etc - are there other ways to create stable connections?

How do you keep the structure from ripping off of the baseplates when moved?

Hints on how to keep baseplates with minifig armies on them stable for transportation?

These aren't so much questions about packing (that I can figure out); rather, incorporating building designs into my creation that will facilitate it being moved - something that is difficult to appreciate from looking at others fine creations - in pictures only :(

Thanks in advance,

Lee.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools. And the guidance of wise men (& women)." Sir David Ogilvy (1911-1999)
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Re: Large display guidance...

Post by davee123 »

doc069 wrote:Other than technic pins, etc - are there other ways to create stable connections?
Heh, I've found that Technic pins really aren't that good for large scale modules. Lining up series of technic pins is very difficult, and in the end, they don't really hold much weight. If you've got modules that are on the order of maybe 16x32 baseplates or smaller, technic pins work ok to hold things together-- but I've found that anything bigger can get knocked apart very easily, and is very tricky to fit back together. Improvised connections are probably better. Think on the scale of latches or something.

For my hoth base, I used studded-down connectors that plugged into the landscape. So, effectively, I had a few 12x12 (roughly) bricks that snapped down and sealed everything together. If I had to do that over again, I probably would've made it lock together without actually studding down. That way, it's easy to remove the locking mechanism, while still providing a large degree of fastening strength.

A good module size (I've found) is somewhere around 48x48 or 64x64. I've done 48x96 modules a few times too, which worked excellently when they were just flat landscape, and not so well when they were substantial. The biggest one I did was a vehicle with one "floor" that was about 64x110, and that was just too big and awkward (and heavy!) to move around easily.
doc069 wrote:How do you keep the structure from ripping off of the baseplates when moved?
Heh, don't use baseplates :)

I think of baseplates as decorative playthings. They're meant to provide kids a quick-and-dirty way of creating all-brick floors. They're not meant for serious displays. If you plan on using baseplates, it's probably a good plan to:

1) cover them in a couple layers of brick (or more) to give them stability

2) don't attach them to your MOC-- think of them as the fluff that surrounds your MOC. Decoration to add to what you've built, but not part of the MOC itself. Effectively, build a castle (or whatever), and use baseplates as filler for the exterior and courtyard, but don't transport your castle on the baseplates.

Baseplates are really flimsy when they're protruding out from a model-- you'll have a tendancy to accidentally bump into doors and things during transportation, and they may fall off. Similarly, they'll give you a false sense of security when lifting your model. You won't be able to get a good handhold, because you can't as easily judge where the base of the model sits, since there's a smooth baseplate panel all around it.
doc069 wrote:Hints on how to keep baseplates with minifig armies on them stable for transportation?
Again, don't use baseplates! Actually, I should rephrase that. Use baseplates with a couple stacked layers of brick on them as landscape. Baseplates actually work quite well in that capacity, because they'll work as sort of a "shield" to prevent bricks from breaking off when you slide your model around on a display or transporting surface, or when just lifting the display with your hands.

Plain baseplates are particularly bad here, because they have that tendancy to bow when there's weight on them. Especially disperate weight like minifigs. That will also cause your minifigs to bend around and be slightly more likely to fall off due to collisions with each other and a looser connection to the ground they're studded on.

If your display consists largely of tons of minifigs, expect to spend a long time setting up, (because) there will be lots of tweaking during setup thanks to downed figs from transport. Usually, I think I often see people bringing in displays and putting on the figs after the main model has been set up. So, the figs aren't as often a part of the model itself.

DaveE
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Re: Large display guidance...

Post by Aliencat »

davee123 wrote:If your display consists largely of tons of minifigs, expect to spend a long time setting up, (because) there will be lots of tweaking during setup thanks to downed figs from transport. Usually, I think I often see people bringing in displays and putting on the figs after the main model has been set up. So, the figs aren't as often a part of the model itself.

DaveE
Hehe yeah I always just put all the figs in a tub and put it in a spare corner of my car, they're not as difficult to put back together than the MOC itself. Sure they'll lose a few helmets, weapons, horses, but at least it'll all be in the tub, so if you arrive early enough you can still put them back the way they're supposed to be. Transporting the figs on your model is just going to lead to more frustration, because they will fall off and end up in all sorts of places.

I like davee123's idea of large brick connectors instead of connector pins, I'm going to use that :)
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

I haven't had the pleasure of having to transport that much before :cry: ...although for BrickFest '07 I did learn ALOT transporting my Wolfpack Fortress Redux. It's basically broken into two sections, the landscape and the bridge/island/fortress.

I found that the landscape transported very easily, as it was built up much liek Davee's hoth base, with several layers at least of 'filler' brick. Since my intention was to bring this to BF '07 I only made that section 2x2 regular baseplates (that 64x64 studs). I would heartily recomend this size, as managable. however i took off all the trees, figs, animals, etc that was not part of the main structure.

For the tower section...whew...:roll:...I needed a sturdier base to begin with, the baseplates really don't cut it, protruding like that. This section is 64x80 studs (2x2.5 BPs) I should have made this be two seperate sections. Not only was it difficult to manage being so large, tall, and rather flimsy, but two sections would have made packing the car MUCH easier!

I made them connect with technic pins in strategic place along the MOC division, but looking back I should have made some overlapping sections to hold them together, or something...
...I'll have to work on that, maybe for CCCV!!! :shock: :D :D
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
doc069
Bailiff

Post by doc069 »

Thanks for the advise - it matches what I had thought for the most part.

Except for the idea of using brick connectors instead. I had thought pins would be the way to go, but looking at it now any time I have had to put something larger together with even 9 or so pins it has been a pain to line up.

I will likely go with a combination of the ideas for the figs: reinforced baseplates for the orcs/goblins as there is going to be about 1,500 of them I don't want to have to keep setting them up.

The warriors on and behind the walls (500) will just have to be set-up again after moving them. As will the horses and riders (200).

Your words of wisdom and experience are appreciated.

Lee.
"Rules are for the obedience of fools. And the guidance of wise men (& women)." Sir David Ogilvy (1911-1999)