Castle Layout at BrickWorld 2008

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

DaleDVM wrote:...I can only do this if Brickworld is in the Chicago area again next year.
From what we've been told, Brickworld will be at the Westin in Wheeling at least through 2009.
DaleDVM wrote:I have never built by CCC standards nor even been to a convention before; so maybe I will try to do some landscape work. Do the borders of your landscape have to be at baseplate level so it will interlock seamlessly with other features?
That would be the easiest way to do it. If friends/groups collaborate, they could, of course, have individuals build sections that were made to go up against another person's elevated landscape. We'll probably have some "plains" of grass between sections of raised landscape.
DaleDVM wrote:Do most people set up figures on their large castle MOCS?
Usually, yes. Setting up minifigs on your stuff makes everything look so much more alive and active. Animals are good too.
DaleDVM wrote:Do you reserve space by the table or can you use only half or more than one if your MOC is wider than 30".
When you register on the Brickworld website, there's a part where you can sign up for MOC table(s). If you've already registered, you can still add/edit the number of tables you'd like. On the BW site, go to "Registration" on the far right. Then on the right under "My Page" click "Edit Your Registration." From there you can use the drop down menu to edit the number of tables you need.
DaleDVM wrote:I don't know if I will bring my armies. I have about 1800 figs now and although I love them I don't expect people are impressed by sheer volume of figures.
Oh, I think you'd be surprised. :wink:

David
♪ "Whether I'm the last one alive, or ascend before my time
Better I'm the last one alive, than a soul denied" ♫ —Demon Hunter
Sibley
Foot Soldier

Post by Sibley »

Crazylegoman wrote:
DaleDVM wrote:I have never built by CCC standards nor even been to a convention before; so maybe I will try to do some landscape work. Do the borders of your landscape have to be at baseplate level so it will interlock seamlessly with other features?
That would be the easiest way to do it. If friends/groups collaborate, they could, of course, have individuals build sections that were made to go up against another person's elevated landscape. We'll probably have some "plains" of grass between sections of raised landscape.
David -

I'm not completely certain but I believe the Base8 standard has been used successfully at past conventions and would result in a more seamless landscape than what you've suggested. Of course it would require a bit more work from you as coordinator ;)

I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to make it myself but if I do I'll bring some Tudor houses and probably some landscaping as well.
~Dan Sibley
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=DSibley]Brickshelf[/url] | [url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/1225]MOCPages[/url] | [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsibley/]Flickr[/url]
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Sibley wrote:I'm not completely certain but I believe the Base8 standard has been used successfully at past conventions and would result in a more seamless landscape than what you've suggested. Of course it would require a bit more work from you as coordinator ;)
We have used Base8 in the Castle layouts at the last two BrickCons and it has worked very well. It is a lot more work for the coordinator, but it does work. The first time we did it, Brendan (aka Breadman) planned the entire layout on a map. It turned out awesome. Last year we went with a more free-form approach. We used Base8 but didn't do as much advance planning. It still turned out really well.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

Sibley wrote:I'm not completely certain but I believe the Base8 standard has been used successfully at past conventions and would result in a more seamless landscape than what you've suggested.
I suggested Base8 as part of the collaborative layout last year, but there were no takers. So the layout will most likely have some "seams". :lol:

To All: I've had only a few people contact me about what they're bringing for the collaborative layout. If you're planning on bringing Castle landscaping (or any other Castle MOC(s) that you want in the big display), please let me know so that I can get a better idea of how to arrange everything.

Thanks!

David
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

I will be bringing a small MOC, just to let you know, sorta like a small village. 16x32 Baseplate.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

Well I am an idiot. I signed up for the convention and ended up without a table to put my MOC on. :( If anyone signed up for extra space I need about 25" by 30" of a table for my large castle MOC. I guess I am already learning lessons from my first convention. I am looking forward to meeting you fellow castlers there.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

David,

I intend on bringing my shell keep and a number of new pirate mocs. Will Pirate creations be part of the castle display this year?

I also have a question about the fling things castle contest. Is non-LEGO string allowed in catapults and ballistae?

Ben
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

Yes, Pirate MOC's can go with the Castle MOC's. (Would you have need for a lowered "water" table?)

You can use nonLEGO string, as long as it's pretty close to the same size as LEGO string.

David
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

DaleDVM wrote:Well I am an idiot. I signed up for the convention and ended up without a table to put my MOC on. :( If anyone signed up for extra space I need about 25" by 30" of a table for my large castle MOC. I guess I am already learning lessons from my first convention. I am looking forward to meeting you fellow castlers there.
We could put our desplays together. I just have to check my measurements.

P.I
Thomas C.

DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

Prince Imdol you are a Saint. I will see how the table situation pans out over the next couple of weeks. I don't want to cause any hardship to anyone else attending. Maybe some space will open up as the last weeks approach.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

My display is 128 studs long, and 80 studs wide. I guess thats about 3 feet by a foot and a half.

Thats sound about right?

P.I
Thomas C.

Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

Prince Imdol wrote:We could put our displays together. I just have to check my measurements.
Just a quick reminder on measurements for MOC's--the tables we're using at Brickworld are 6'X30".

David
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

I think that might work. My MOC is a little longer than yours, but yours is wider. I will draw a diagram just to make sure.

See you all in a week and a half!

P.I
Thomas C.

Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

This isn't really information that has to do with the collaborative Castle display at Brickworld, but it is about a Castle-themed activity at Brickworld, so hopefully this post will be OK to put in this thread.

As seen in this LUGNET post today:

"There will be a 16 person bracketed chess tournament with the final match being playing on the new UCS chess board with the winner getting to take it home. This will be some kind of “speed” chess. So, start boning up your skills."

In addition to this sweet chess deal, LEGO is going to be doing a lot of generous things at Brickworld this year!

David
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Crazylegoman wrote:This isn't really information that has to do with the collaborative Castle display at Brickworld, but it is about a Castle-themed activity at Brickworld, so hopefully this post will be OK to put in this thread.

Just to make sure, I will take this to the PM's.
-Thanks

P.I
Thomas C.