Castle Displays and Contests at BrickFair

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
cabrad
Gong Farmer

Castle Displays and Contests at BrickFair

Post by cabrad »

Hi Everyone-

It's time for all of us to think about BrickFair this Labor Day weekend in DC. Who's coming?

I'll be coordinating the castle display this year, and I'd like to open this thread to start a discussion about the possibilities. I'd really like to hear everyone's thoughts so we can make the castle display truly reflect the community. We could have the classic castle city as we've done at other fests. We could also try the farming standard again that Ben initiated a couple years ago. Or a combination....or something else....

And contests, must have contests. Would you all prefer the standard trebuchet contest, or something a little different? Or both? Some ideas I have are:
- microscale castle contest
- contest for best incorporation of movement (using a motor) in a castle
- best use of water in a display

Please let me know what you think about these or any other ideas for castle displays, contest, games, presentations....Let's make the castle display at BrickFair this year amazing!

Cheers-

Cyndi
Jansen
Steward
Location: Pondering the paradox of organic American cheese...

Post by Jansen »

I'm coming! I think we should do something other than a trebuchet contest. Not a microscale castle contest though. I like the motor idea, but I don't think it should be limited to castles only, maybe to any castle related MOC.

On the displays, I think we should do a combination of the Classic-Castle City standard and the Classic-Castle Farm standard. Inside the walls, we could have everyone make tudor-style houses and make a marketplace. And someone who builds an actual castle could place it in the center, like a stronghold of the city. I think it would turn out excellent! These are just my suggestions.
"An apple a day keeps people deathly-allergic to apples away."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gusalagupagoo/]flickr[/url]
Munchy
Foot Soldier

Post by Munchy »

I'm coming!!!

Unfortunately, I'm still sorting and moving LEGO around, so if I do bring something, it will have to be small.

I can probably do the farm thing. I've never done that before. If we do the city, I can probably provide something as well.

I like the ideas for contests you put forward. :)

I'd like to put forward another one if I may?

Tallest free-standing castle structure.
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

This fits better in Displays (where the other cons are discussed), so I'll move it there. :)
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

Darkie wrote:This fits better in Displays (where the other cons are discussed), so I'll move it there. :)
The forum should really be called Events and Displays, there's just as much non-display talk if not more.
JCool
Apprentice

Post by JCool »

Hey Cyndi! Glad to see a thread started for BrickFair... it's about time! :-P

I will be there for the weekend, and am planning on bringing the castle I displayed over at Palooza in Feb. (your presence was missed this year). I'll have some updates to it too. I have some landscaping and pathways that go around it, can set those up too or not have them all depending. It should fit with a standard base 8 standard.

I like the idea of using motors to create some motion in the castle display... was actually thinking of that myself... if I think of a good way to do that I will try (actually could motorize a scene at the top of one of my towers).

As for water... I sadly built my castle on a flat plane, so there's no moat! (a tragedy, I know!)

Looking forward to seeing everyone there who can make it in August!
-Joe "Cool"
cabrad
Gong Farmer

Post by cabrad »

Thanks Darkie for moving the forum. I appreciate it!
Hey Joe- nice to hear from you. I miss NCLUG! It seemed prudent to wait until BrickWorld was over to start posting about BrickFair. One fest at a time...
It'll be great to see you and everyone else at BrickFair! Keep your ideas coming.
Cheers-
C.
WARork
Apprentice

Post by WARork »

contest suggestion:
funniest way to use troll :P
Umm, later. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=WARork it's it's.. full of junk!:D

''mah orcs are owks!''
JCool
Apprentice

Post by JCool »

Cyndi - good point, too many fests does tend to scramble the brain :)

WARork - would a big vat of troll soup count? I'm not sure how easy it is to dismember them, but a random troll arm sticking out of the soup would be funny! Regardless I like the idea of having a funniest use of the troll contest.... ... now I need to get a troll~!
-Joe "Cool"
Muskey15
Journeyman

Post by Muskey15 »

I'll be coming, but, alas, I don't have much by way of castle, so I would only be able to bring civilians or soldiers... :(

-Muskey
~His Lowness Seamus O'Callaghan of Lenfald~

"You call this archaeology?"

Lenfels ASSEMBLE!
Munchy
Foot Soldier

Post by Munchy »

I rescind my tallest structure suggestion and officially endorse the funniest troll suggestions from WARork. :lol:
dragonblade24
Apprentice

Post by dragonblade24 »

the DRAGON(me) will arrive of course. this will be awesome. 8)
1. work!
2. work harder!
3. When all else fails.....BUILD LEGOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we fly to victory!' said the dragon king.
Munchy
Foot Soldier

Post by Munchy »

Only 5 weeks away... :shock:

*runs in a circle chasing his imaginary tail*

Cyndi?

*crickets*

*gnaws on fingernails*
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I have been asked to take over the Castle Coordinator duties at BrickFair 2008 this August. Cyndi and I were the Castle co-coordinators at the last DC fest in 2006.

In the next few days I will post updates on contests, door prizes for attendees who reply to this thread, door prizes to those who bring a tudor building to fest, and castle presentations. Stay tuned!

Ben
cabrad
Gong Farmer

Post by cabrad »

Hi Everyone-

I have realized that I can't do the coordinator job this year. I recently started a new job in a new state and I am overwhelmed by it. I asked Ben if he'd be willing to take over for me and he has graciously agreed to do so. Thank you Ben!! We co-coordinated before as he mentioned, so I know he'll do a great job. Thus, I am officially stepping down and handing this over to Ben. Good luck and enjoy BrickFair everyone!

Cyndi