Castle MOCs at BrickFair 2008 (and prizes)

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hey, Ben! Is there going to be a certain color scheme/ uniform for the CCC walls? I'm wondering because I'm building a wall section and could probably put some flags and soldiers on it.
I am sorry for not seeing your post sooner. In my experience, the CCC wall sections have been light grey, dark grey, black and even bley. Bring what you have and we will use it!
miniflea84 wrote:Apologies if this is an obvious question, but should I bring my army if they're not part of a separate moc? I don't have a ton, but I do have a fair number of guys- maybe between 100 and 150 or so. Will there be a big display of figs that everyone contributes to?

I think what I'll do is just bring everyone, and maybe during setup on friday morning I can talk to a few of you other castlers and see whats going on.
You are welcome to bring your army and we will do our best to display it ;)

Ben
Jansen
Steward
Location: Pondering the paradox of organic American cheese...

Post by Jansen »

architect wrote:
Hey, Ben! Is there going to be a certain color scheme/ uniform for the CCC walls? I'm wondering because I'm building a wall section and could probably put some flags and soldiers on it.
I am sorry for not seeing your post sooner. In my experience, the CCC wall sections have been light grey, dark grey, black and even bley. Bring what you have and we will use it!

Ben
Sorry I should have made myself clearer. I meant uniform/color scheme for the soldiers. Well it might be to late. I'm gonna be at Brickfair around 2 PM tomorrow.
"An apple a day keeps people deathly-allergic to apples away."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gusalagupagoo/]flickr[/url]
Muskey15
Journeyman

Post by Muskey15 »

I can't believe it! I went all the way from Rockville, MD to VA :wink: , but once I got to Brickfair, I couldn't find the Castle area! :cry:
~His Lowness Seamus O'Callaghan of Lenfald~

"You call this archaeology?"

Lenfels ASSEMBLE!
Munchy
Foot Soldier

Post by Munchy »

Muskey15 wrote:I can't believe it! I went all the way from Rockville, MD to VA :wink: , but once I got to Brickfair, I couldn't find the Castle area! :cry:
Castle had it's own room across from the Great Ball Contraption.

I can't say I had a great time at BF. I missed the registration on Friday due to a home repair problem and subsequently missed all the seminars and store discount goodies. With the Terps Football opener on Saturday I spent a grand total of 30 mins at BF on Saturday. I did catch part of David Keith talking about the castle creations though. I came back on Sunday but got there during the public viewing time which was...interesting. I didn't get a chance to meet people as I was moving pretty quick and trying to see everything in the time I had available while keeping tabs on my youngsters.

My wife and I really liked the castle near the door. Especially the room with the chandalier. Guiseppi's(?) shire was a lot of fun too. Troll roast anyone? Unfortunately for me, my kids really liked the Great Ball Contraption so I spent a good bit of time walking around that room.

Oh well.

Brick Fair 2009 dates have been anounced already. I guess I can work toward that to keep the blues from settling in. :)
JCool
Apprentice

Post by JCool »

The castle room for BrickFair was indeed a bit aways from the other displays. It actually didn't even have a proper sign saying "Castle this way" until you got to the entrance to the room.... the signs up until that point just said "other displays" and had an arrow. That being said, having Castle in its own room was a nice return to the feeling of previous brick-type events, even though there seemed to be some extra space.

There are some picture out there already on BrickShelf and Flickr, go check them out.

Munchy, glad you liked the troll roast bbq scene and the shire. It was fun to put together.

There were a LOT of very cool castle MOCs at the show, I'd say we had a decent showing from newbies to experiences builders. I was certainly impressed with the models that people brought, the detail was insane! I didn't get to spend too much time in the room sadly as I was running the showing of BrickFilms during public hours, so I can't really comment too well on everyones models. Maybe Ben can comment as he spent a fair deal of time in the room.

If you're on the fence about whether or not to come to Brickfair next year... trust me it'll be worth the time and effort!!
-Joe "Cool"
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I was very pleased with the Castle / Pirate room display. It was great to hang out with old friends and new ones. Id like to say hi to Joe, Jenn, Mr. Red, Dale, Sean, the Feist brothers, and anyone else I forgot. You each made our room great :D

While we did not have a large collaborative display, many members brought their own large and impressive Castle mocs. The moc quantity and quality was much improved over the previous BrickFest 2006. I do know that some people could not find the Castle room. Next year the castle display will likely be in the main ballroom.

Ben
miniflea84
Laborer

Post by miniflea84 »

I had a great time, and I loved seeing all the other castle creations. Plus I was really pleased with the reaction I got from my orc siege tower, watching all the kids look at it during the public hours was a real pleasure.

Already planning what I'm going to bring next year, and it's for sure going to be much bigger.
Munchy
Foot Soldier

Post by Munchy »

I have also begun planning for next years Brick Fair. I have the preliminary sketches done for each of the four MOC's I've planned to bring and have already begun to acquire those few elements I think I will need. I'm not letting my sorting get in the way this time.