BrickCon08: Brickconburg Building Contest

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
Tedward
Squire

BrickCon08: Brickconburg Building Contest

Post by Tedward »

Brickconburg Building Contest

EDIT: LAST MINUTE CHANGE/ADDITION OF PRIZES

OK, so as usual I am building last-minute and it seems so are others. if you want to enter just a building or just a wall section you will eligible to win one of the two trophies Josh Mentioned. Just bring it to BrickCon and let me know you want to be considered.

PRIZES: besides the 2 trophies and the title "Lord Mayor of Brickconburg" there will also be prizes including:
  • Little Armouries armour and weapon set (still on sprues)
  • Good Wizard (5614) (NISB)
Prizes will be chosen by the winners with the Lord Mayor picking first and the two remaining flipping a coin.

---

(changes above not incorporated below)

In order to encourage a large Castle city and to recognize builders using the original Classic Castle City Standard I will be sponsoring the Brickconburg Building Contest at [url=http://www.brickcon.org"]BrickCon08[/url] in Seattle this coming October.

This is a contest for paired MOCs using the CCC standard. Entrants must bring to BrickCon both a wall segment (wall or gate or corner) AND a building for the town. Each will be judged individually but the two scores would be combined for a total to choose a winner.

RULES
  1. Entrants must declare their intent by PM'ing Tedward before October 1st, 2008 to be entered in the contest. Entrants are also encouraged to register with the Castle Display Coordinators to ensure adequate space is available in the display.
  2. A complete entry is two (2) stand alone MOCs: a CCC standard wall section of any type (corner, straight, or gate) and a CCC standard building for within the city walls. Partial entries will not be considered.
  3. DO NOT POST PICTURES or descriptions of entries before the event. (Let the judges be surprised at the event.)
  4. Only entries physically built and present in the City of Brickconburg as part of the Castle display at BrickCon08 will be judged.
  5. A grand prize will be awarded for the best entry as decided by the judges whose decision will be final. Other prizes or tokens may also be given by the judges for individual creations within the entries
  6. Multiple entries are permitted with the best scoring wall section and the best scoring building used to calculate that builders score towards the grand prize.
A note on scoring criteria: size is NOT a criteria. Humour and/or drama WILL be a criteria. Both creations in an entry will be judged seperately so they can be totally different or they can be jointly themed (ie: identifiably of one faction). Populating the entry will be part of the judging but no extra points will be awarded for wicked-cool custom whatnots riding awesome fantasy beasts (it might actually count against you if they are so large/garish they obscure the building/wall section.)

Questions about the contest should be posted to this thread and the rules above will be amended or clarified as needed.[/list]
Last edited by Tedward on Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Ted,

Great idea! Wish I could go I'd love to contribute! Good luck and I hope to see some great pictures of it once assembled!

R
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Hey Ted! That's a fantastic idea. I hope to contribute, but considering the addition to the layout I've committed to, I'm not sure yet. At any rate I'll see you there!
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

I, too, hope to participate, though I have most of my bricks already tied up. I'll try to bring at least a couple things up for Brickconburg, but I might not be able to do much.

See you there,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

When you say to build a wall segment and a building for the town, do you mean the building to be attached to the wall segment? Or do we build a bit of wall, with whatever we want against it, and build a building completely seperate from said wall and any structures attached to said wall?

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Robin Hood wrote:... we build a bit of wall, with whatever we want against it, and build a building completely seperate from said wall and any structures attached to said wall?
Yes. As the rules state they are, "two (2) stand alone MOCs". They may end up being close together in the display but that is not required and would simply be a random occurrence as the city is assembled on the day.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Tedward wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:... we build a bit of wall, with whatever we want against it, and build a building completely seperate from said wall and any structures attached to said wall?
Yes. As the rules state they are, "two (2) stand alone MOCs". They may end up being close together in the display but that is not required and would simply be a random occurrence as the city is assembled on the day.
I see. And to just to be perfectly clear, the two MOCs don't have to be on the same baseplate right?

I build, therefore I am.

Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Robin Hood wrote: I see. And to just to be perfectly clear, the two MOCs don't have to be on the same baseplate right?
That is correct.

For those new to the CCC Standard buildings are not attached to baseplates at all but are built on their own plates so that they may be placed wherever seems best within the city walls. This allows maximum flexibility of the layout and it allows for a wide variety of building sizes and shapes, which can be placed orthogonally or at different angles creating very "medieval" streets.
Last edited by Tedward on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Tedward wrote:
Robin Hood wrote: I see. And to just to be perfectly clear, the two MOCs don't have to be on the same baseplate right?
That is correct.

For those new to the CCC Standard buildings are not attached to baseplates at all but are built on their own plates so that they may be placed wherever seems best within the city walls. This allows maximum flexibility of the layout and it allows for a wide variety of building sizes and shapes, which can be placed orthogonally or at different angles creating very "medieval" streets.
Thank you. I becomes ever more clear. One last thing. Do you want any baseplates brought, other than the one under the wall segment?

I build, therefore I am.

Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Robin Hood wrote:Do you want any baseplates brought, other than the one under the wall segment?
Not that I am in charge of the actual layout but it is always a good idea to bring green and blue baseplates. [HINT: I am rather fussy so I actually write my name on the bottom in permanent marker which helps me remember what I brought.]
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Throwing my hat in the mix, if it's not too late Ted! Corner wall tower, and small home.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Thanks to all the entries (even the late ones Richard :) ). The individual awards were presented but the overall contest did not have enough entries. (My apologies for not doing enough to publicize the contest and I will do better next year. )

The winners: