BrickCon 08 Attendees: Help needed

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
BreadMan
Archer

BrickCon 08 Attendees: Help needed

Post by BreadMan »

Attention CCer's who are going to BrickCon 08. Josh, wunztwice, and myself are all working together on a large section of terrain for the display and we need some extra help to finish it.

Do you have 5-6 extra BURPs and a green 32x32 plate? We need 4 32x32 modules of double-high (16 bricks tall) Base8 cliffs. We need to recruit four people to build a section each, or 2 people to build 2 sections, or any mix to achieve a 4 baseplate wide cliff face.

I've gone ahead and built one section so that I could make these step-by-step photos for what needs to be done, but I'll be needing the brick used for my own section of the display.

1. Start with some 1x8 technic beams so that your module can be joined to the others with pins, and also for reference when building up your 8cres. The edges of your final product should look like this.

2. Build up your front cliff face. Feel free to get creative with the slope, remember that the 4-studs-green, 4-studs-cliff rule only needs to apply to the edges.

3. Lay down a base for the upper part of the cliffs. I use the Gerlach lattice as a basis for support.

4. Finish up the top half, ending at 16 bricks high and flush against the back of the baseplate.

Further images can be found here: http://www.copernicanstudios.com/landscaping/bc08/
Lots of more examples of Base8 cliffs: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=228884
The original Base8 article: http://www.copernicanstudios.com/landscaping/page2.html

If you can build one or more modules, please let us know by responding to this thread or PMing me, Josh, or Chris. Your efforts will go towards the creation of possibly the awesomest castle display ever. :D
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Hmmm, this could be possibe. I will invistigate this. But first two things. Is the cliff supposed to be 16, or 18 bricks high? You said 16 but I counted the ones in the picture and I think its 18 high, just want to be sure. Also, can we have stuff happening on the cliff? Or do you have a plan for it already?

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

I think I can do one of these. Is is cool to populate my section with any small buildings/creatures/whatever or do you need plain rocky cliffs?
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

Robin Hood wrote:Hmmm, this could be possibe. I will invistigate this. But first two things. Is the cliff supposed to be 16, or 18 bricks high? You said 16 but I counted the ones in the picture and I think its 18 high, just want to be sure.
I think you are just miscounting, I just counted on the one I built and it is definitely 16. :wink: Even if I'd built it wrong, a standard Base8 cliff level is 8 bricks tall so when in doubt, keep to the pirate's code..err..standard.

The display *is* meant to be all BPB though, so if you wanted to brick-build your ground level instead of using a baseplate your final height would be 17.
Also, can we have stuff happening on the cliff? Or do you have a plan for it already?
Tedward wrote:I think I can do one of these. Is is cool to populate my section with any small buildings/creatures/whatever or do you need plain rocky cliffs?
By all means get creative! I'm not sure what Josh and Chris are doing for their sections but I'm planning my side to be a little more rural themed, so buildings, farms, etc are just fine. Other Base8 features such as waterfalls might work as well, just check with Chris as his section will be coming to the upper edge of all these. In fact if someone wants to build a road going up their cliff I believe that might work with what he's planning.

Also, this is something usually added once we get the display all up and put together, but if you can plan to work in some trees...think "forested foothills."
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Hello all!

Hey Dan and Ted (and Brendan, and others!)

I dunno how I missed this thread, but Brendan pointed it out to me, so now I'm on the page at least... :roll:

So, you guys might be able to help with in front of my section, eh? Well, my idea originally was to have sloping green up to the foot of my section. Foothills and whatnot, with some buildings and rural-ness going on, transitioning into a castle/mountian area I'm working on. If you guys are better suited for cliff than green hills, that will suffice, but I think some mostly green sloping hills with a bit of rock/cliff would look even better.

Those are my thoughts, just let me know what y'all are thinking, and we'l work it out!
I'm super exited (but a bit behind in building... :oops: ) to work with all of you on this!
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

wunztwice wrote:Hello all!

I dunno how I missed this thread, but Brendan pointed it out to me, so now I'm on the page at least... :roll:

So, you guys might be able to help with in front of my section, eh? Well, my idea originally was to have sloping green up to the foot of my section. Foothills and whatnot, with some buildings and rural-ness going on, transitioning into a castle/mountian area I'm working on. If you guys are better suited for cliff than green hills, that will suffice, but I think some mostly green sloping hills with a bit of rock/cliff would look even better.

Those are my thoughts, just let me know what y'all are thinking, and we'l work it out!
I'm super exited (but a bit behind in building... :oops: ) to work with all of you on this!
I see. Thing is, how exactly can a green slope be universal? I mean is there a methood of making it fit with all the other cliff/slope pieces that everyone will bring. The way I am imagining things, the green slope would have a much bigger footprint on the 32x32, and thus, would not be flush with other cliff pieces. Unless there is something I am not getting, could be.

I build, therefore I am.

wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Robin Hood wrote:
wunztwice wrote:Hello all!

I see. Thing is, how exactly can a green slope be universal? I mean is there a methood of making it fit with all the other cliff/slope pieces that everyone will bring. The way I am imagining things, the green slope would have a much bigger footprint on the 32x32, and thus, would not be flush with other cliff pieces. Unless there is something I am not getting, could be.

Actually, there are several ways to do this. (Don't worry, it took me actually going to BrickFest to figure it out.)

You can simply make a cliff edge, then gradually transform it to a slope. You can use the Base8 universal slope section (up 3 bricks for every 8 studs). In which case it would take up the entire baseplate length. With Base8 you only have to make sure your edges (that is, only the single line of studs along your connection area) matches up with the other edge. Other than that as soon as you are away from your edge you can alter it however you wish. That's how I roll with these things. My whole display is all "wack" according to Base8, except it still works because my edges mesh up with the Base8 standard edges.

Well, I am sure you knew all of that anyways, but I figured I'd try to answer your questions in the most complete way I could think of. Hope it helps, and just reply, or PM me if you have anymore questions.

Thanks so far!
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

wunztwice wrote: You can use the Base8 universal slope section (up 3 bricks for every 8 studs). In which case it would take up the entire baseplate length.
4 bricks per 8 studs. Stupid article is out of date, been meaning to fix that for a while sorry. (edit: fixt)

And yes, this would mean an entire 32x32 baseplate of green slope, from ground to 16 bricks. I'll leave it up to you guys and Chris to decide, I can do either for the part that connects to my section, but imho cliffs are a little easier when you've got several people involved. Less brick intensive anyway.
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

BreadMan wrote:... imho cliffs are a little easier when you've got several people involved. Less brick intensive anyway.
I can do a cliff section. Sorry a sloping hill is out for me this time. If someone else can do the hill sections great but let me know soon so I don't build a pointless cliff section. :wink:
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

BreadMan wrote:
wunztwice wrote: You can use the Base8 universal slope section (up 3 bricks for every 8 studs). In which case it would take up the entire baseplate length.
4 bricks per 8 studs. Stupid article is out of date, been meaning to fix that for a while sorry. (edit: fixt)

And yes, this would mean an entire 32x32 baseplate of green slope, from ground to 16 bricks. I'll leave it up to you guys and Chris to decide, I can do either for the part that connects to my section, but imho cliffs are a little easier when you've got several people involved. Less brick intensive anyway.
Well, if it's a matter ob brick, then I'd say for everyone else to just do Cliff sections, and I'll worry about the sloping green for the other two sections.

Brendan &/or Josh, do you have a preference which sections are on your sides? I was thinking perhaps maybe I could just take the two closer to Josh's (the right-hand side, looking at the front), and Dan/Ted can work out who wants to be where with Brendan.

As far as rocks, I do mostly Dark Grey, with a touch of green, most often, but we can work out any of that, if need be. If you plan on any buildings we can work out the style, if you want as well, or we can just go with whatever, if you all prefer.

Thanks again, all!!!
in His grip, Chris

<><
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

Cliffs work good for my side. Ted / Dan, please go ahead with construction following the above example, and thanks for your help in this. I say take free reign for any features you want to add, keeping the "forested mountain foothills" idea in mind.

So Chris, you are taking on the other two sections, right? Here's what I'm seeing. J = Josh, C = Chris, R = Dan, T = Ted, B = Me, 1 letter = 1 8cre.

Code: Select all

JJJJCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCBBBB
JJJJCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCBBBB
JJJJCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCBBBB
JJJJCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCBBBB
JJJJCCCCCCCCRRRRTTTTBBBB
JJJJCCCCCCCCRRRRTTTTBBBB
JJJJCCCCCCCCRRRRTTTTBBBB
JJJJCCCCCCCCRRRRTTTTBBBB
Look about right?
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Okay, so if I understand this correctly, I have just one 32x32 right? And are we going with cliff or slope? And this whole thing here, just how exactly is it going to be laid out? Your maps are a touch vague. And just to absolutely clear, we are free to decorate the cliff as we see fit right? Oh, and now that I think about it........can I add a piece to the base of my cliff? I'm throwing around a couple ideas for stuff to build, and if I had the base of the cliff to work from, it would be good, but whatever works.

I build, therefore I am.

Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

BreadMan wrote:Cliffs work good for my side. Ted / Dan, please go ahead with construction following the above example...
Okelly dokelly builderino. (channelling a little Ned Flanders).
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Robin Hood wrote:Okay, so if I understand this correctly, I have just one 32x32 right? And are we going with cliff or slope? And this whole thing here, just how exactly is it going to be laid out? Your maps are a touch vague. And just to absolutely clear, we are free to decorate the cliff as we see fit right? Oh, and now that I think about it........can I add a piece to the base of my cliff? I'm throwing around a couple ideas for stuff to build, and if I had the base of the cliff to work from, it would be good, but whatever works.

Dan,

As to the cliff or slope, what can you do? I'm fine if you want to go with the cliff, and work out what you want at the base. You'll have more room to build on "flat" ground if you go with cliff, but I personally think as much slope as we can work out, would look better. Up to you, though. It's your section!!! :wink:
My section will be sloping, but I could transition to a cliff edge if you want to do cliffs. Either is fine.

The cliff can be decorated however you wish. My section above is heavy on Dk. Grey, with a little green in it, but I could mesh/mottle with whatever you have in mind, or you could into mine, just let me know.

So, how we sitting?
in His grip, Chris

<><
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

wunztwice wrote:Dan,

As to the cliff or slope, what can you do? I'm fine if you want to go with the cliff, and work out what you want at the base. You'll have more room to build on "flat" ground if you go with cliff, but I personally think as much slope as we can work out, would look better. Up to you, though. It's your section!!! :wink:
My section will be sloping, but I could transition to a cliff edge if you want to do cliffs. Either is fine.

The cliff can be decorated however you wish. My section above is heavy on Dk. Grey, with a little green in it, but I could mesh/mottle with whatever you have in mind, or you could into mine, just let me know.

So, how we sitting?
Sitting........still a bit fuzzy. I'll try to figure this out. First off, when I said decorate I meant things like people, houses and the like. Okay, so you are on my one side, who is on my other? I assume Ted. Also, how exactly are the corners going to be made? Just out of curiousity. I can do either cliff or slope, which ever makes for a better creation. And was a that a go for adding another piece to the edge of my baseplate? Glad this all makes sense. :D

I build, therefore I am.