Barnens Drömstad Uppsala

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Barnens Drömstad Uppsala

Post by Maedhros »

I wasn't really sure where to put this but I guess this makes the most sense.

Anyway, I was working for LEGO this past weekend with an event called "Barnens Drömstad" (Dreamcity of the children - rough translation). It took place in numerous places in both Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland at the same time and the general purpose was celebrating the 50 years of the brick. Basically it involved lots of kids playing with even more LEGO (I heard they had taken two kubic-metres of LEGO [that's 6-7 kubic-feet to you Americans ;)] to this event alone). When the kids were done with their creations we took pictures of them and their stuff (I think I've taken about 700 portrait pics of kids together with their creations this weekend!) and put it up on display. Some of them even won some really neat sets as prices.

I have to confess I wasn't that pumped up about it when I arrived in Uppsala yesterday (I was to get free LEGO for the trouble - that was the point ;)) but after these two days I have to say that it was a real blast! Not only the fun of hanging out with a bunch of fellow FOLs and two really nice LEGO designers down from Billund but seeing all these wonderfully happy and creative kids in action like this was just incredible. Their creative spirit, their pride as they came up to me to be photographed and the sheer happiness that they all showed really made me realize what LEGO actually REALLY is about. Sure, we grumpy AFOLs can make incredibly nice-looking MOCs but seeing all these children together with parents and grandparents was just.. wonderful.

Anyway, here be some pics (those famed 700 portrait pics weren't taken with my camera so I can't show any of those unfortunately)

The main room before the kids arrived today (there were more though)

And the same room full of kiddos (both young and old ;))

The grand winner of yesterday (the MOC that is - not the guy to the left, that's a LEGO designer)

Some of the result of today's building

Some more

...and more

And more people building

So, that's it. And now for some rest. I'm just totally exhausted.. but happy ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
rgurskey
Laborer

Post by rgurskey »

I calulate 2 cubic meters as over 70 cubic feet - that is a lot of Lego elements.
How many [url=http://www.librarything.com/catalog/rgurskey]books[/url] do you own?
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

rgurskey wrote:I calulate 2 cubic meters as over 70 cubic feet - that is a lot of Lego elements.
OK.. I'll take your word for it ;)
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
lord azreal
Goat Brigade

Post by lord azreal »

i love this pic:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Maedh ... 010578.jpg
just a huge tower and then a random tree on top, brought a smile to my face :D
If you are reading this it means I have posted! - congratulate your find and remember this day