Base8? Great? Arg...

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Base8? Great? Arg...

Post by LORD DOOM »

This is a question for more experienced convention attendees and veteran CC members.

I have a MOC in mind that I've already begun construction on. It's a project geared towards showcasing at brickcon10 next year, so I'll have some time. Th thing is, I don't have enough of the pieces I require to both complete my proposed MOC and make it base8 compatable. I don't want to build something that can't be included in the display, stand-alones don't interest me when it comes to a group setting. So is there some trick anybody can think o that's affordable for low income AFOL's like me that will help my MOC fit more seamlessly into the overall display?

Thanks for any assistance.
Yours of course,
DOOM :)
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: Base8? Great? Arg...

Post by plums_deify »

Build it on a flat baseplate--sticking pieces of foamcore under the baseplate brings it up to Base8 standard heigth.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

plums_deify wrote:Build it on a flat baseplate--sticking pieces of foamcore under the baseplate brings it up to Base8 standard heigth.
Yes but as Blue and I discovered and many of you likely already noticed as well, that foam-core stuff really doesn't work well, it makes the base-plates to flexible and fig posing and additional detailing can get rather difficult. I'm considering carefully measuring and cutting an appropriately thick piece of plywood to the exact dimensions of my MOC. I will build flat for now and see what I can fandangle. I may also be able to bring the borders of my moc to base8 height and have the majority of my MOC sort of lowered terrain, set into the overall display. Just some ideas.

Edit: Does anybody know in metric measurements exact height of two plates, studs included?
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

LORD DOOM wrote:... foam-core stuff really doesn't work well, it makes the base-plates to flexible and fig posing and additional detailing can get rather difficult...
Were you using the "full-size" sheets or the "economy-size"? The "full-size" (10"x10") sheets hold well enough for placing figs after installation. The "economy-size" (less than 10" x 10" to stretch the number of sheets possible) do not support the edges so I can see the issue. I wouldn't try to do a lot of building on top of these but the whole point is to build and then drop it into place. :wink:

You might also try the plate-built solution (plate + plate + tile) which can be seen on the bottom of this page. It allows the use of a mix of colours and can support the middle and edges without having to fill the whole space with brick.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I don't know if you remember what I did for BrickCon, but half of it was using the plate, plate, baseplate methood, and the other half involved a piece of 3/8ths MDF. Excellent stuff. Pretty much perfectly smooth and more than strong enough. I'd do what Ted suggests, for whatever you decide to do. Build it, and then set it on it afterward.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

Hey thanks you guys for suggestions. I'm sure I have enough plates to do as Robin Hood advised but if I can I'd rather use cheap home depot plywood so those measurements from somebody who already knows them would be great if not it's not a difficult task to measure them myself.

I like that idea because I think transporting my MOC would be a lot easier if it had a solid foundation to rest on.

Byt Cay, Ted and Dan, thanks so much for the ideas and instructions you all had excellent solutions and I may even end up using one of them.

Peace and tranquility.
DOOM :mrgreen:
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

LORD DOOM wrote:I'd rather use cheap home depot plywood so those measurements from somebody who already knows them would be great if not it's not a difficult task to measure them myself.
9.6mm or roughly 3/8ths of an inch. ;)

It doesn't matter if it's a little off, it's not very noticeable when a whole display is put together.
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

BreadMan wrote:
9.6mm or roughly 3/8ths of an inch. ;)

It doesn't matter if it's a little off, it's not very noticeable when a whole display is put together.
Thanks Brenden. Perfectly the dimensions I needed. Just found out I get to g to home depot on payday as well as the halloween store. The should be fun. My MOC is coming along really well, the terrain and layout is really taking shape. I now have 75 or so percent of it fully mapped out too in detail. :D
Is it that obvious I can't wait to see you guys next yeer? 8)

Take it easy dudes and lady dudes.
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

LORD DOOM wrote:Is it that obvious I can't wait to see you guys next yeer? 8)
:)
If you finish it by April you should bring it down to Cali for BBTB