VOTE: Bricks Cascade 2014 castle theme categories

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
SEdmison
Laborer

VOTE: Bricks Cascade 2014 castle theme categories

Post by SEdmison »

Okay, gang, it's almost time for me to submit the list of categories for the Castle theme at Bricks Cascade 2014. I'd like you to help me do that by weighing in on what categories are most interesting to you. We need to come up with a list of about 4 categories, so, drawing either from the list below or your own ideas, give me your 4 votes for interesting themes.

Procedural details
* Please indicate whether you're planning to attend Bricks Cascade 2014. I'll entertain votes from other folks, but I'll weigh votes from con-goers higher.
* Please list up to 4 preferences in order of importance to you.
* If you provide a new idea, please give a sentence or two laying out what would qualify for the category, and what criteria should be used to judge creations for the category; if you use one of mine, feel free just to list it by name.
* I reserve the right to reject theme ideas for any reason including inappropriate content, difficulty to build a suitable trophy, or capricious whim. I'm asking for your opinion, but the process may be a little more involved than just tallying the votes and submitting the list. :spin:
* You may post your vote or edit your post for the next several days, until the thread dies out, or until I get pressed for a final list of categories, whichever occurs first.

So, without further ado, here is a list of possible categories to start the discussion:

Best Architecture
This goes to the creation with the most distinctive architectural look and feel. Criteria include the creation's ability to capture a period, motif, or style; the creative use of parts in expressing the style; and the visual impact of the creation's architecture.

Best Building
This goes to the creation with the best single non-military castle-age building, such as a mill, shop, stable, smithy, tree fort, or bazaar. Criteria include the building's visual impact and the creativeness of the use of parts in the design of the building.

Best Fortification
This goes to the creation with the best fortified or military building, including a castle, keep, donjon, holdfast, fort, or tower. Criteria include the creative use of parts in the depiction of the fortified building in brick and the building's overall visual impact.

Best Contraption
This goes to the creation with the most believable or fantastic contraption, such as a war machine, siege engine, water wheel, water clock, forge, or golem. Criteria include the creation's ability to depict the contraption in an interesting, fantastic, or believably historical way and the creative use of parts in the design of the contraption.

Best Character
This goes to the creation with the best individual character, creature, or hero. Criteria for judgement include the character's visual impact, creativity, and importance to the overall creation.

Best Story
This goes to the creation that most effectively tells a story in brick. Criteria include the inventiveness in depiction of the story; the creation's ability to express the motivations of the character or characters in the story; and the creation's expression of comedy, drama, pathos, horror, or tragedy.

Best Faction
This goes to the creation with the most interesting army, group, clan, guild, or faction. Criteria include the distinctiveness of the faction; the creation's ability to express the
faction's unifying tenets and goals in brick; and the creative use of parts to tie into the group's garb, color scheme, armament, equipment, and/or decoration.

Best Peasants
This goes to the creation that best utilizes and depicts workers or townsfolk of low station, including peasants, servants, slaves, farmers, or artisans. Criteria include the creativity in depicting the peasants; the creation's ability to show their role, job, or plight; and the creative use of parts in showing their work, equipment, garb, dwellings, and surroundings.

Best Historical Creation
This goes to the MOC that best depicts a historical event, scene, or vignette from the classical period, the middle ages, or the Renaissance. Criteria include the recognizability of the creation's intended material and the believability of the depiction of the event or scene.

Best Fantasy Creation
This goes to the MOC that best depicts a fantasy event, scene, or vignette from the world of mythology, magic, and/or high fantasy. Criteria include the creation's originality; its ability to evoke emotions such as whimsy, wonder, awe, or terror; its ability to express the rules or tenets of its mythos in brick; and its ability to encourage a viewer to suspend disbelief and to become immersed in the fantasy.
All things in moderation, particularly moderators.

Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/sedmison/[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Re: VOTE: Bricks Cascade 2014 castle theme categories

Post by AK_Brickster »

I vote the following:

1 - best fortification (this is the 'anchor' of the castle theme, and should be included)

2 - best building (people who step out of the military box should be rewarded)

3 - best fantasy creation (could include floating castle, dragon's lair, wizard's study - a lot of MOCs will fit, so you'll have plenty to choose from)

4 - best faction (as a fig-hoarder, I'm partial to well-done factions ;) )
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Takkata
Deep he Delved

Post by Takkata »

Best Faction

Best Fortification

Best Fantasy Creation

Best Building

Order doesn't really matter I take it. These are definitely the top though. Looking forward to the con!
My Mocpages: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/92572 and my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/93970753@N05/
mpoh98
Justiciar

Post by mpoh98 »

I will not be able to attend, but here is what I would choose (more if I could)!

Best Building

Best Fortification

Best Contraption

Best Faction
[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/75100]Mocpages[/url], [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/92459453@N08/]Flickr[/url]
Support [url=https://ideas.lego.com/projects/74333]Huckleberry Finn[/url] on Lego Ideas!
Philippians 4:13
SEdmison
Laborer

Post by SEdmison »

Okay, I've been asked for the final list, so it looks as though we're going with

Best Building

Best Faction

Best Fantasy Creation

Best Fortification

Thanks for the votes (and, in AK_Brickster's case, the reasoning behind each vote)!
All things in moderation, particularly moderators.

Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/sedmison/[/url]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

No problem, buddy! I wish I could go, but one convention per year is about all I can squeeze in between work and spouse ;)

PS - I have some goods for you if you're going to be at the next ArchLUG meeting. :eyebrows:
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!