Kent, WA Canterbury Fair Display

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
Thomas
Peasant

Kent, WA Canterbury Fair Display

Post by Thomas »

This past weekend Dan Parker and I had a chance again to set up a display at the annual Kent Canterbury Fair. Some new items on the display but most of the same from previous years. I've got a few new items but I'm saving them for Northwest BrickCon. We set up armies for a large battle and realised we needed more room.

Image changed to link by admin. Please do not post images larger than 400x300 pixels in the forum. Use thumbnail links instead. Thanks!

Gallery http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=142336

Thomas
Dragonlord Esq.
Reeve

Post by Dragonlord Esq. »

That looks really good, especially the large castle in the background. Still, I'd place my money on the pitchfork-wielding giant.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Thomas,

Your display looks great. Many of the details are things I had not thought of. I especially like the holes in the thatched roof of a peasant's house to let out smoke. (LEGO really needs to make corner slopes in yellow more widely available). Is the pumpkin patch using basketballs instead of orange heads? If so, how are they held in place? The windmill, docks, and small buildings are all very nice.
I've got a few new items but I'm saving them for Northwest BrickCon. We set up armies for a large battle and realised we needed more room.
I look forward to seeing the new stuff. You do need a larger battlefield. Those armies are very impressive.

Ben
eNiGMa
Justiciar

Post by eNiGMa »

I especially liked the raised baseplates being used at different elevations on that hill. It looked really realistic, I'll have to try that!
Nathan Cunningham
[url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] | [url=https://www.facebook.com/nathan.cunningham.9]Facebook[/url] | [url=http://sly-pig.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html]MOCs[/url]
Thomas
Peasant

Post by Thomas »

First off sorry about the size of the original image and which forum I posted in.

Dan Parker runs various shows and when this one comes up he calls up me to help him out. About 3/4 of the layout is mine, pretty much an ever increasing MOC. We put together about 1/4 of the landscape at the show. That's the area from where the vikings(no not the official ones) are landing to windmill and the raised area in the center.

Thanks for the comments. The pumpkin patch in actually parts from the LEGO pens.

Dan kept telling me on Saturday that I better not even set my troops up because he'll win the battle. I wasn't sure how many troops I could set up so I went home that night and began gathering the army. Final numbers... Dan 234 myself 472 (I quit there, I still had more at home I didn't bring) :D

Thomas
Last edited by Thomas on Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Thomas wrote:First off sorry about the size of the original image and which forum I posted in.
No worries mate! Thats why we have mods and admins - to help people out with keeping their threads clean and organized. And especially when it comes to a veteran castler like you - always a good thing.

I feel a bit embarrased (because) I missed the "WA" and thought this was a festival in Canterbury, Kent, England. Haha, silly me.

Good stuff as always! Can't wait til we can hang again!

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

wow that is a lot of LEGO. I really liked the ideas you've got there too - especially dealing with the houses and other "everyday" items such as the fields and what not, and that Giant is AWESOME!

I would love to see your armies in a battlefield... that would just be glorious. :twisted:

One thing I was wondering, for displays such as this where people mix their LEGO together, how do you keep straight who's LEGO pieces/men are whos? :?:
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Ibzonder
Serf

Post by Ibzonder »

Wow...
That IS a good display. I Especially like that rather large 'mini'fig with the pitchfork. And a nice army you've got there too!
--oOo--
Thomas
Peasant

Post by Thomas »

Lenny,
Yep, put that WA in there to hopefully clear things up. Guess I should of put USA too huh? :lol: When ever I've Googled it the first few hits are always UK.

Wish I could of made the trek to Brickfest but didn't have any vacation built up yet. Only been back to work about 10 months now after almost 3 years of layoff. Looking forward to NWBC and then hopefully HOB 2006(if they have it again) and then Brickfest 2006(wherever it may be). I want to make sure I don't miss anymore!

ottoatm,
Thanks, both the giant fig and the giant attacking the wizard's tower are mine. The wizard's tower is Dan's. For keeping things straight we know who's buildings/figs are who's and we also label the baseplates. Dan and I are planning to do some huge battles.

Thomas