Medieval market question

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Rogue Shadow
Foot Soldier

Medieval market question

Post by Rogue Shadow »

I am trying to make a creation for the monthly contest on commerce/trade, and my setting is a market. What kinds of shops would there be? I have one 2 food stands, 1 drink stand, a fortune teller, a lady selling flowers, a letter carrier, and guards, but what other things would you see? I am having a mental block on the subject.
Rogue
What is the most resilient parasite?...An idea. Highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed-fully understood-that sticks; right in there somewhere. -INCEPTION
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Re: Medieval market question

Post by Remyth »

Possibly a glass blower... Other than that I'm sure you can find some things via Google.
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Rogue Shadow
Foot Soldier

Post by Rogue Shadow »

Great idea! Although I'm not sure how to make a glass blower... I'll work on that. Thanks!
Rogue
What is the most resilient parasite?...An idea. Highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed-fully understood-that sticks; right in there somewhere. -INCEPTION
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Here is my take from my market years ago: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tyrondurkn ... 811160276/ Its kinda hard to see from the picture but I think there is another in that set somewhere of the guy.
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Handar
Archer

Post by Handar »

In the spirit of brainstorming, there might be a cooper, some live animals being driven to market, some other animals randomly running around, a performance of a mystery play, a thief stealing money or food, a butcher, a baker, a candlestick maker, a pair of priests passing through, another thief in a set of stocks, a tinker's cart, a cobbler, a carpenter, or a weaver.

That list is obviously not anywhere close to exhaustive, but hopefully it will help to jump start the creativity. I'm looking forward to seeing what you put together. :)
Rogue Shadow
Foot Soldier

Post by Rogue Shadow »

It's going to be a 32x32 scene, so I want it to be colorful, crowded, but not so crowded as so you can't see the details. I wouldn't be expecting too much out of this, but I'm hoping people will like it. I like the thief in stocks idea, by the way.
*Edit: On this topic, what would be a better color for the pathways/streets? Tan, or dark bluish grey? My current street color is dark bluish grey, but I think if I looked through my bins I could find tan if need be.
Last edited by Rogue Shadow on Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rogue
Handar
Archer

Post by Handar »

Rogue Shadow wrote:On this topic, what would be a better color for the pathways/streets? Tan, or dark bluish grey? My current street color is dark bluish grey, but I think if I looked through my bins I could find tan if need be.
My suggestion would be to use a variety of colours for a pathway. Dark and light bley, reddish brown, tan, and maybe even black are all colours one would reasonably expect to see in a pathway. Nothing 'in nature' is ever just one single colour or hue, and mimicking this will lend a greater degree of realism to your market. This assumes, of course, that realism is what you're aiming for, it might not be.
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

How about the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker?
elondisc
Laborer

Post by elondisc »

Remember that back then a lot of things were barter systems or would be the selling and purchasing of raw goods (cotton, lumber, livestock, vegetables, etc.) and that there was often a pretty heavy religious influence in towns and castles (which is something Lego always leaves out). A good resource may be to watch some episodes of "pillars of the earth". Its a miniseries that was on starz. It has a lot of scenes of markets, and market towns in it.