Wudu-wása

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Wudu-wása

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

This is something totally random, but as much hasn't been posted in Medieval Life lately, I thought I'd mention something I recently came across. J.R.R. Tolkien is one of my most beloved authors. Another author P.G. Wodehouse (who perhaps has less, but yet something, to do with castles) is also a favorite of mine. I was reading a footnote in Unfinished Tales yesterday and came across the following explanation of the word "wose" which is used in a story.

The note says that wose is a modernization of the Anglo-Saxon word, wása, which was actually only ever found in the compound, wudu-wása which meant "wild man of the woods." This word survived long in English and was eventually corrupted into the word, wood-house. Although the footnote didn't go any further, I couldn't help but speculate that this might also have been the origin of the author's name, Wodehouse. But I can't be sure.