If you lived in castle times...

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.

...what rank would you be, given the option?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:35 am

King/Royalty
17%
Knight/Soldier
38%
Worker/Peasant
21%
Other
25%

Total votes: 24

Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Dragon Master wrote:I would like to be a Knight-General, who leads the troops into battle, no boring peasant stuff for me!
Since the troops have been gathered from thralled (?) peasents, the peasants had as much fun as their noble leaders in the battles....

I'd have been a charburner.

Bye
Jojo

Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

DM, I guess your right; seems you have a habit of catching my mistakes. :D Thanks.

mD
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Royalty all the way baby :twisted:

With this option you would have the closest chance to live like we are accustomed to living, ya know the real fancy stuff, a bed, toilet (garderobe), dishes, undergarments. Most of us wouldn't last a week in any vocation.

Real peasant life was a dreary Megablocks. Up through the 17th century the average European never went more than seven miles away from the place they were born. It was dirty, dark (even if you could afford candles) and dingy. No days off, no health care. Ever had a tooth pulled? That would have been a death sentence in medieval Europe. We have stylized the era through romantic stories, but it would not have been fun at all.

I'll stick with Coke, computers and cotton underwear thank you very much.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Í´ll have to go with Blueknight on this one!

A king is what I´m set out to be in LEGO-form any way...

But as we all know kings are pointed out by the allmighty :D and that´s that som I would probably be a peasant any way :wink:

But you can allways dream...

His lordship bids you good day :wink:
I'm back, and so is Castle!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Being royalty is a real pain in the neck - literally! Nobility sounds much safer. Too many assasinations happened. Just read about Edward II of England and I am sure you will change your mind. :shock:

Ben
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

architect wrote:Being royalty is a real pain in the neck - literally! Nobility sounds much safer. Too many assasinations happened. Just read about Edward II of England and I am sure you will change your mind. :shock:

Ben
You got that wrong, for Edward II it was a pain in the asterisk *. (In the Kurt Vonnegut illustrative sense - as I dance around being polite and being accurate)
:lol:
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I know perfectly well about the demise of Edward II at Berkeley Castle. It is amazing how many books do not mention specifics of his death. But you are right, this is not the appropriate place to post them.

Ben
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

I would be a paladin (a high ranking of a knight) named, well obvisouly (spelling?) Sir Terrance.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I would be a tailor, because I think that's what my last name signifies. I'm not completely sure though.
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

I would have been a Miller. (My last name "Muhl" is the americanized version of Muehler, or Miller in German). The Miller was typically the richest man in town, since every person had to pay him to have their grain milled into flour for bread.

My second choice would be a pub owner of some sort. I would have made the best honey mead around..... 8)

Heroic battles and combat are fun to imagine, but I probably would have avoided hand to hand combat if possible. :D