Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby SSchmidt » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:48 am

I am absolutely fine with Uruk. Lets get this going!
PSN: SSchmidt-
Image
Image
User avatar
SSchmidt
Councilor
 
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:53 am
Location: A pilgrim passing through Roawia

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby AK_Brickster » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:23 am

I just ordered the max of 5 from Amazon. I guess I have to wait until tomorrow to order the other 3 :cry:

(Maybe ill use my wife's account when I get home ;) )

After tax, comes to $27.30 each

My Paypal is: jordan.perry.ak@gmail.com
Please send as for "friends and family" so I don't get hit with transfer fees.
(And don't forget to include your screen name in the notes!)

EDIT: Got the remaining 3 using my wife's account :D
Image Image
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - - - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
User avatar
AK_Brickster
Visconte des Paysans de Gong
 
Posts: 3219
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Mushing through the Great Driftplains of Garheim

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby bronx » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:48 am

AK_Brickster wrote:I just ordered the max of 5 from Amazon. I guess I have to wait until tomorrow to order the other 3 :cry:

EDIT: Got the remaining 3 using my wife's account :D
Had I seen this sooner I would have told you they were imposing a limit. I had to order from two accounts, as well.

Glad you got it squared away, though.

AK_Brickster wrote:After tax, comes to $27.30 each
Tax? What is that? Amazon Prime ftw, sir.

Payment has been sent, as well.
User avatar
bronx
Apprentice
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:34 am
Location: Wherever I'm needed.

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby RichardAM » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:59 am

AK_Brickster wrote:After tax, comes to $27.30 each

My Paypal is: jordan.perry.ak@gmail.com
Please send as for "friends and family" so I don't get hit with transfer fees.
(And don't forget to include your screen name in the notes!)

Maybe missed it (sorry if so) but is that price just for the brick?

Because i'm international my ship costs will be a little higher- i'm paying you that afterwards presumably or once we've got a weight of all the pieces i've picked out? :)
artificial snow

-richard-am.net /lego-
Image Image
User avatar
RichardAM
Merchant
 
Posts: 1258
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby SSchmidt » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:12 pm

Money sent.


Thanks Jordan for running this!
PSN: SSchmidt-
Image
Image
User avatar
SSchmidt
Councilor
 
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:53 am
Location: A pilgrim passing through Roawia

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby AK_Brickster » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:17 pm

bronx wrote:Tax? What is that? Amazon Prime ftw, sir.
Shipping was free, but I still have to pay state sales tax :(

RichardAM wrote:Maybe missed it (sorry if so) but is that price just for the brick?

Because i'm international my ship costs will be a little higher- i'm paying you that afterwards presumably or once we've got a weight of all the pieces i've picked out?
That's correct. Everyone's shipping will likely vary a bit depending on what you pick :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While we are waiting for payments to be sent and the sets to be delivered, we should figure out how picks will be made. The easiest way would just be to rank all of the parts in priority, and then I would go through each list and give you your highest-ranked remaining parts, but that takes a lot of the interaction out of it, which is at least half the fun, in my opinion. :eyebrows:

I'm thinking that I sort everything and take a picture of the lots, labeling them with numbers from 1-88 (or however many lots we come up with). I'd then post it as a private photo on Flickr, and we could take turns commenting on which lot number we're choosing. I could then update the photo by putting an "X" through the lots that had been already chosen for easier visual clarity.
This method would be considerably slower, but more fun, I think.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Image Image
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - - - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
User avatar
AK_Brickster
Visconte des Paysans de Gong
 
Posts: 3219
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Mushing through the Great Driftplains of Garheim

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby SSchmidt » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:15 pm

I think the slower method would be a whole lot more fun. I personally believe it will make me get my 27 dollars worth, just for the sake of the interaction. That is where I shall cast my ballot!
PSN: SSchmidt-
Image
Image
User avatar
SSchmidt
Councilor
 
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:53 am
Location: A pilgrim passing through Roawia

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby bronx » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:46 pm

RichardAM wrote:Because i'm international my ship costs will be a little higher ...
I'm "international," as well, AK.

My payment had additional funds to reflect the increased shipping fees for me. I don't think I mentioned that explicitly in the payment notes.

AK_Brickster wrote:While we are waiting for payments to be sent and the sets to be delivered, we should figure out how picks will be made.
I like your suggested idea for having a photo of the lots and allowing people to make their selection on the photo. To avoid overlap or someone getting skipped, after a selection the person can leave a comment, "Round 1 Draft Pick: Elaborate Spear," or something along those lines. Might make things easier for you, to alleviate searching for comment boxes.

Regarding the lots, would it be easier to only photograph one set? Personally, I do not need to see 169 of the same part in a pile. A single image with its quantity somewhere (in the photo or photo description) would be fine for me. You could have the other seven sets already separated and sorted for draft picks. Just a thought.

My only concern now is the estimated timeline for all of this. I know it'll be another day or two before the sets arrive and possibly the same amount of time to separate and sort, but I was just briefed on an upcoming op in the next several days.

The primary location I'm heading to had their Morale, Welfare & Recreation (MWR) center annihilated prior to my last route through there a couple of weeks ago. So, if that's still down, I'll only be reachable via e-mail (over my phone). We can discuss it further over private messages, if you want to work up viable solutions to this possible obstacle, if anything.

EDIT: My vote is also for the more interactive route, regardless of speed. I'm in no rush.
User avatar
bronx
Apprentice
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:34 am
Location: Wherever I'm needed.

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby Forestboy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:16 pm

Alright, I sent in my payment. I'm saying a slower approach. It'll be more fun.

It might be possible just to complete it in one day/night/block of time, though. If we hollow out some time that works for everyone we could go through it pretty quickly online. (Although, we are international and in different timezones).

~FB~
User avatar
Forestboy
Steward
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: In the treetops learning from Robin himself...

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby AK_Brickster » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:23 pm

bronx wrote:My payment had additional funds to reflect the increased shipping fees for me.
Drat. And here I thought I was just getting a nice "thanks for running this" tip! :spin:

bronx wrote:To avoid overlap or someone getting skipped, after a selection the person can leave a comment, "Round 1 Draft Pick: Elaborate Spear," or something along those lines. Might make things easier for you, to alleviate searching for comment boxes.
I would suggest that all picks be done via comment, not a note on the photo. Comments show what order things are being done in, whereas there is no way to tell who's note was added first. Notes could be added as well, but a comment would be the "official" way of announcing your selection.

bronx wrote:Regarding the lots, would it be easier to only photograph one set? Personally, I do not need to see 169 of the same part in a pile.
I don't think it's that much more difficult to photograph larger piles, and it will give people a better feel for total quantity. For example, there are going to be 128 light bley 1x2 bricks, which is a pretty impressive amount. I want people to be able to see that "mass", as that can often help you choose between lots.

This sort of brings up the discussion about what lots need to be split. We'll have a better idea about it once everything is sorted, but to me, it looks like the only thing that definitely needs to be split are the orc heads, torsos, and legs (piles of 16 instead of 32). One goal is to make sure that everyone gets at least one really good pick, and I think that having all 32 of any of those parts in one bin is pretty disproportionately valuable. If it's only 16, then it's a MUCH tougher choice for the first overall pick.

bronx wrote:My only concern now is the estimated timeline for all of this. I know it'll be another day or two before the sets arrive and possibly the same amount of time to separate and sort, but I was just briefed on an upcoming op in the next several days.
I won't have all of the sets until next week (only my wife has a "Prime" account), and probably won't have everything sorted until after the 4th of July weekend. Sshmidt is about to have a baby, so I'm sure he'll be in better shape to actually draft after a week of getting into a new routine. I foresee this whole thing taking a bit of time, but that's part of the fun :)
Image Image
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - - - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
User avatar
AK_Brickster
Visconte des Paysans de Gong
 
Posts: 3219
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Mushing through the Great Driftplains of Garheim

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby soccerkid6 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:42 pm

I like the picking method that AK suggested, definitely would be more fun than just making a list! How is the picking order decided, everyone receives a random number 1-8?

p.s. @AK: Will have payment sent shortly :wink:
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
My website: http://brickbuilt.org
Image
User avatar
soccerkid6
Sheriff
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:41 pm
Location: NY (not NY city)

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby AK_Brickster » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:10 pm

Draft order would be determined by assigning everyone a number 1-8 using www.random.org :)
Image Image
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - - - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
User avatar
AK_Brickster
Visconte des Paysans de Gong
 
Posts: 3219
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Mushing through the Great Driftplains of Garheim

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby bronx » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:17 pm

AK_Brickster wrote:I don't think it's that much more difficult to photograph larger piles, and it will give people a better feel for total quantity.
I continuously forget you civilians back home have the room to do that kind of stuff. :P

AK_Brickster wrote:This sort of brings up the discussion about what lots need to be split. We'll have a better idea about it once everything is sorted, but to me, it looks like the only thing that definitely needs to be split are the orc heads, torsos, and legs (piles of 16 instead of 32). One goal is to make sure that everyone gets at least one really good pick, and I think that having all 32 of any of those parts in one bin is pretty disproportionately valuable. If it's only 16, then it's a MUCH tougher choice for the first overall pick.
I've never participated in a draft like this. Would you mind providing an example of the breakdown and subsequent picking? I guess I'm not quite following the idea behind splitting the Uruk-Hai legs into two even piles, and how that would affect choices.

I'm not against the idea. My question is solely for the purpose of understanding.

AK_Brickster wrote:I won't have all of the sets until next week (only my wife has a "Prime" account), and probably won't have everything sorted until after the 4th of July weekend. Sshmidt is about to have a baby, so I'm sure he'll be in better shape to actually draft after a week of getting into a new routine. I foresee this whole thing taking a bit of time, but that's part of the fun :)
That is seriously excellent news.

I'm scheduled to leave this greater area of Helmand Province around the first weekend of July back up to Bagram. Internet up there is pretty great, so I'll be fairly accessible for a week or so following my return.
User avatar
bronx
Apprentice
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:34 am
Location: Wherever I'm needed.

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby AK_Brickster » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:44 pm

bronx wrote:I've never participated in a draft like this. Would you mind providing an example of the breakdown and subsequent picking? I guess I'm not quite following the idea behind splitting the Uruk-Hai legs into two even piles, and how that would affect choices.


OK, let's do an example to clarify...

Image

We are doing an online version, but typically everyone shows up with one copy of the same set. All of the parts from all of the sets are dumped onto tables and sorted by type. (all black 1x2 bricks in one pile, all dark tan 2x6 plates in another pile, etc). Each ENTIRE PILE is considered ONE PICK, so if you pick "Elaborate Spear", you get ALL of the elaborate spears from all 8 sets.

With the Uruk Hai Army set, this would mean that each set contributes 4 orc torsos, 4 orc heads, and 4 orc legs - multiply by 8 sets to get 32 of each total.

Now, if the draft order was:

1. AK_Brickster
2. Soccerkid6
3. Eklund
4. Forestboy
5. SSchmidt
6. RichardAM
7. StrongBad
8. Bronx

Then presumably the first three picks could be something like:

1. AK_Brickster - 32 orc heads
2. Soccerkid6 - 32 orc torsos
3. Eklund - 32 orc legs

If we divide the orc parts (or any other part, for that matter) into multiple piles, each pile becomes a single pick, so the first three picks might instead be:

1. AK_Brickster - 16 orc heads
2. Soccerkid6 - 16 orc heads
3. Eklund - 128 light bley 1x2 bricks or maybe 8 brown new horses

All of a sudden, the orc parts are not so ridiculously valuable as to overshadow all of the other lots in terms of perceived value. You don't want the first 1, 2, or 3 picks to be ridiculously superior to what participants 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 get for their first pick.

There will always be different perceived values for different piles, but usually an attempt is made to allow everyone to get a good pick up front. At the end of the day, someone has to take the pile of technic pins, so you can't make all piles equal, but you want the desirability of each subsequent pick to diminish somewhat gradually.

The other fun part about drafts is that, assuming you don't go into it with a price list from Bricklink in hand, everyone's perceived value is different. Maybe I LOVE orcs, but you don't really care and would rather have bricks. When I take orcs ahead of you, you still feel like you got a great deal because you scored a bunch of sand green bricks. If you make your picks based on what you want/need instead of worrying about dollar value, you will usually walk away pretty happy with what you've scored :)

I hope that clears it up a bit :)
Image Image
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - - - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
User avatar
AK_Brickster
Visconte des Paysans de Gong
 
Posts: 3219
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:02 pm
Location: Mushing through the Great Driftplains of Garheim

Re: Online Parts Draft - SIGN UP IS FULL

Postby bronx » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:12 pm

It does.

I did not realize a pick equated to a pile or lot. :o That is where my confusion was.
User avatar
bronx
Apprentice
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:34 am
Location: Wherever I'm needed.

PreviousNext

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest