Winter Jambalaya 2016 - Sign-up List

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items
bronx
Foot Soldier

Re: Winter Jambalaya 2016 - Sign-up List

Post by bronx »

AK_Brickster wrote:Just my unsolicited 2-bits. :)
Unsolicited, but warranted and appreciated.

There was a lot of truth to your words. I am not sure I could have said it any better, and I am glad an outside party saw it as I did (perhaps I am not so crazy ...).

Even better is that your words reached their target audience, maybe even others just reading, and they reassessed and remedied the issue. That not only improved this Jambalaya but likely all others moving forward.
AK_Brickster wrote:To quote a very wise man, "In trades, four quarters does not equal a dollar", meaning that 4 mediocre parts doesn't equal one really coveted one. You can't substitute quality for volume.
This quote is something I certainly stand by when it comes to Jams. It does not seem right to exchange a hard to find licensed or out of production piece with several Pirates. The intent should always be to constantly pay it forward because at the end of the day, this is on honor. Your honor. There is no constant haggling or negotiating as there is during an active trade. So look at what you've taken, then look at what you're giving. Then look at what you've taken, then back at me. I've got [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE]two tickets to that thing you love[/url]. The tickets are now Rohan Soldiers. But, seriously, if you look at what you're giving and what you're taking, and it is easy to choose what you're taking, guess what? You're probably doing this wrong. There should be at least some internal struggle.

With that aside, to Dog Ironbones, I would like to move you up in the list. With Schmidt dropping out, it moved me up and away from the middle of the Jam. Moving you up, to receive the box after soccerkid, allows an even amount of people before I potentially receive Blue's box and the same amount of people before she potentially receives mine. I will message this to you as well, but if you see this first, please coordinate with soccerkid and provide your address. And then you can contact me whenever you are ready for mine.

I'm on a horse.
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Really nice secondary "gives", Ludzik!! :D
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
JCool
Apprentice

Post by JCool »

So I'm not sure if the recent posts about gives/takes was directed at me (we have 2 boxes going), but since Blue's box has only passed through me so far I'll chime in with a few comments.

Firstly, when doing the puts / takes I try to do a balance of what I'm taking vs. what I'm giving. Yes I try to put a bit more in than I take, but in this (and recent Jams) it's been a bit tougher because I've been first to receive the box. Here's why: there's not a ton in the box that I really want. This mainly is due to the fact that it's mostly newer parts/figs in the box and not too much in the realm of older / rarer items which I favor in collecting and using.

The next thing I try to do is look up the relative value of everything I'm taking and make sure I'm putting at least that much (usually a little more) value back into the box. That's one of the reasons why I put the Magic Shop set in there. Sure it's not the flashiest set, but I can just acquired it and thought it would be perfect for the jam as there are a few rarer parts in there (mainly the brown corner panels). In looking up the parts I took I found them all to be recent parts easily available for low prices on bricklink, yet they represented items I didn't necessarily have hence my interest in taking them from the box.

So, net-net, it's a tough balance in these jams. Do the next people in line want newer parts / figs or older ones? Sometimes people have expressed interest in advance of a box being received and I've been able to include items that they are wanting - win-win. Other times though it's harder to guess what people might want. In the case of the box from Blue, I tried to include some parts which I didn't see in the box in order to round out what she included in the parts bag. Does everyone need those part, no, but they might help someone. Again, it's one of those things that's impossible to know.

I'm happy to be in the jam, and I'll likely sign up for future ones as well. I think it's nice to have some mystery as to what's in the box, though maybe we should take some input in advance and stock the box with items that people requested? Just a thought, could go either way on that. I know it's a big undertaking to those that put the box together, so I don't want to add to that already big effort :)
-Joe "Cool"
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Post by soccerkid6 »

And here are my gives (Blue's box), that's a printed white owl by the way, it tipped over :oops: :
[img]http://www.brickbuilt.org/wp-content/upload ... -gives.jpg[/img]
Takes:
[img]http://www.brickbuilt.org/wp-content/upload ... /Takes.jpg[/img]
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

JCool, my comments were not directed at you. Great feedback though!

Soccerkid, awesome gives!
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Post by soccerkid6 »

The box is on its way to Dog Ironbones!
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/
ludzik
Steward

Post by ludzik »

Eagle has landed - looks like Curt should have the box in his posession.
Lil_Curt
Steward

Post by Lil_Curt »

Yep box landed. Will be going through it this weekend :)
So Many Hobbies So Little Time....
Come Visit me on Facebook @ Atavistic Creations
Dog Ironbones
Peasant

Post by Dog Ironbones »

Picked up box last night.
Dog Ironbones
Peasant

Post by Dog Ironbones »

Shipped.
ludzik
Steward

Post by ludzik »

Pics?
bronx
Foot Soldier

Post by bronx »

Lil_Curt wrote:Yep box landed. Will be going through it this weekend :)
Any update? It's been a week.
Dog Ironbones wrote:Shipped.
ludzik wrote:Pics?
Dog Ironbones
Peasant

Post by Dog Ironbones »

Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

HEY!!!! An ant!!!! I love those ants! :D (Says the lady with something like 800 of them and always looking for more)

Wow...each time my box moves, a nice selection of the hidden gems I slipped in leaves it. Yay for making people happy!
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Lil_Curt
Steward

Post by Lil_Curt »

Real life interviened. Haven't had an opportunity to go through it yet. Have another long day tomorrow but plan on having it packed and ready to ship sat morning. I believe I am posting to rbboy or dog ironbones? I am a bit confused as to who to ship to.

Update: have done my sweep of the box. Lots of good stuff. I will be doing my sweep through my collection for trade outs tomorrow. Will have pictures in a couple of days.
So Many Hobbies So Little Time....
Come Visit me on Facebook @ Atavistic Creations