How do you get most of your bricks?

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items
Sir Terrance
Councilor

How do you get most of your bricks?

Post by Sir Terrance »

Do you buy them from S@H, Bricklink, or just collect them from alot of sets?
J1A3L5
Steward

Post by J1A3L5 »

The bulk of my bricks are from sets. Lately I've been getting a few from S@H (GREY!) but mostly now I get pieces from bricklink. Only sets if their on sale cheap - I get pieces I wouldn't normally buy individually from bricklink. But I've just found that bricklink can get you only the pieces you want, in larger amounts, for less money than buying a set would that gets you some pieces you will likely never use.

Also, I have enough pieces to make most things I want to, so if I need to I make it using off-colour pieces and then bricklink the pieces in the colours I need to finish it.
AoErat
Villein

Post by AoErat »

I buy friend's collections, build any sets I don't have, and use the rest for whatever.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I used S@H for all the old light gray bricks I could afford and I use bricklink for all the other colored bricks I want. Sets are not a great source of brick, but some of the tubs are and I buy them when I can.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I buy most of my sets on sale :wink: They may be online or at a store. I also buy on ebay now and then for older sets and bricklink occasionally for moc needs.

Ben
LEGO_KNIGHT
Artisan

Post by LEGO_KNIGHT »

Hi :)

I got mine from BrickLink. :D Sometimes I buy sets from retail stores and eBay.

Erwin
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

What would you suggest for someone like to me, who doesn't have too many grey bricks, to get a good start. I will probably want to get the new greys, since I don't have much of the old, and will soon be unavailable to us. I was thinking S@H, since you always know they will have lots, unlike bricklink, and is fairly good with prices, since all colors cost the same thing. So, what would suggest?
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Sir Terrance wrote:What would you suggest for someone like to me, who doesn't have too many grey bricks, to get a good start.
Try to get your hands on 6080 King's Castles, possibly from garage sales or friends or from your friends' older brothers. Buy the last remaining Castle Expander Packs 3732 from Shop-at-Home for old grey arch bricks. Be patient. When the older members here were younger they didn't have that big collections, either.
I will probably want to get the new greys, since I don't have much of the old, and will soon be unavailable to us.
New bricks in old grey will soon be unavailable. But on the secondary market there are millions and billions of old grey bricks from over twenty years that are much more than we will get new grey bricks within the next couple of years. (Erm, that turned out to be a weird sentence, I hope you get it nevertheless ;) )

Tschüß
Jojo

Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

I buy bricks from S@H and from lots of sets. I've never bought bricks on Bricklink although I was planning to a while ago.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Sets. I buy sets for pieces. Although I may expand into Bricklink for a few fig pieces. Its just too expensive to buy a $100.00 set (plus GST and all that garbage) just for one golden centurion helmet. Although it probably works out to less per piece. :D
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Like Formendacil, I get most of my parts from sets. Sometimes I will go to Bricklink if shops are having sales.

Over the past few years, the set designs have become kinda lame so I mostly bought sets for the parts. But now with the colour change, I won't be buying sets for the parts anymore! The only set I'll buy now is one with a GOOD design - which is becoming rare nowadays...

(Latest purchase: 10152 Maersk Sealand)
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Do you mean bricks, or lego parts in general?

For actual bricks, I get most of them in bulk packs from LEGO Shop@Home or from tubs I buy in town.

For parts in general, I get most of them from sets. I will buy multiples of any set I see (if the price is right) that has a good number of parts I will use, and then I will put whatever parts I don't think I need into my bricklink store.

I buy some parts on BrickLink if they are not easily available from sets in the quantity I want. Usually this amounts to various slopes in various colors.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well all of my pieces so far have come from sets. I have only just disovered the magic of buying pieces online. Question, can you buy pieces at S@H?
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Robin Hood wrote:Well all of my pieces so far have come from sets. I have only just disovered the magic of buying pieces online. Question, can you buy pieces at S@H?
On http://shop.lego.com there is an Exclusives and Accessories tab at the top which has links to all of the bulk bags they sell. Generally it will be something like 50 2x4 bricks, or 100 slopes, etc. You can't pick exact quantities, you can only buy bags and the bags aren't always available the way you might want.

If you want hard to find parts or small quantities of a bunch of different parts, BrickLink is probably going to be better, but if you want large numbers of certain elements, Shop @ Home is pretty good.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Most of my Lego now comes from BrickLink, but I'll buy from the retail stores when possible and if the prices are cheap enough.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]