So you have $150...

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items
Lady Val
Villein

Post by Lady Val »

Oh yuck! MEGABLOCKS? I chuck megablocks in the dustbin if I find them on bags of loose stuff. I would never pollute the purity of my Lego with inferior plastic. It`s bad enough when the kids cover my ...errr....their Lego in wargaming figures.

No, take your $150 and spend it wisely on Castle Lego on eBay, jamitjames. You can get some fabulous buys there if you`re careful.
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

Save it until you find something you really want. In december, prices are high because many people buy Lego (both new and used) as gifts. I would wait a few months when prices are low to buy an old set, or use the money to go to Brickfest! :wink:

-The Josh
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

Ok i know it was a Little of subject :lol:

Dave
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

if i had a 150$ i guess i would save them fore something that migth happen in th future, of just spend it all on lego :D
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

I would not spend it on sets from BrickLink (BL). BL is a great ressource for parts but iit's a bad ressource for sets. Most people selling sets on BL have $$ in their pupils. And I'm even speaking about used sets without box here, I'm not speaking about old sets in unopened sealed box that would be worth the high prices some sellers ask for used sets.

Bye
Jojo

Tedward
Squire

Actually have $245 (cdn)

Post by Tedward »

Funnny you should be thinking about it because I have $120 now and expect to get another $125 in the next few days if things work out. (All amounts Canadian)

So that seems like a lot until I go through the latest catalogue and my wish list @ Shop@Home and come up with like $1000 worth of wishes. I think I will take one of the Spiderman cable cars on special but I just find it hard to spend money on full price sets. (Although I have always wanted a train set and the Motorized Hogwart's Express looks cool.)

I find things at Winners (Cdn version of TJ Maxx) almost weekly lately like a Gringotts Bank at 40% off and no shipping charge to pay! So I am thinking maybe use the rest to spend on a shopping spree on Brinklink bits and pieces and/or save for further Winners purchases.

Anyway I can totally sympatize, if I had come up with a plan of what to get in which order I could just spend the money right away. Hmmm, I could even have targets for my savings, but I'm a cheap bastard and planning on Winners or closeout specials won't work.

Good luck!
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

(After throwing a few megabites and pixels)
Duke_Dave wrote:In fact, you cant even tell the difference between legos and Megablocks,being the only difference is slight color and they don't say LEGO.

Dave
thats not true, at least if the tiny bit of mega I got ten years ago is any indication. The plate pieces are thicker and any kind of piece will not hold together as well as lego. they work, but they don't work as well. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
xxbattosaixx
Foot Soldier

Post by xxbattosaixx »

I would save up enough to buy a Black Knights Castle,A Black Monarchs Castle,and perhaps,if I had enough,a King's Castle from someone I could trust here.Yeah,I've been here for a month,and I trust a lot of you guys.

EDIT:Come to think of it,forget the King's Castle!I'll get that later.Give me another Black Monarch instead!One for each side of the Black Knights Castle.
Last edited by xxbattosaixx on Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Tom
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

Robin Hood wrote:

thats not true, at least if the tiny bit of mega I got ten years ago is any indication. The plate pieces are thicker and any kind of piece will not hold together as well as lego. they work, but they don't work as well.

the older ones are diferent, But on the new ones they are identical to lego. There are plates that are 2x as thick as as lego plates, but most are the same thikness. I know I'm making everybody mad by keep talking about Megabloks, But I really don't see whats so wrong w/ them... I mean just cause they cost less.....

Dave
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Hmmm, I don no, there is something about mega that isn't lego, I think it could be the figs. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

I'll agree with you there, I only use the blocks :wink:

Dave
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

Duke_Dave wrote:Robin Hood wrote:

thats not true, at least if the tiny bit of mega I got ten years ago is any indication. The plate pieces are thicker and any kind of piece will not hold together as well as lego. they work, but they don't work as well.

the older ones are diferent, But on the new ones they are identical to lego. There are plates that are 2x as thick as as lego plates, but most are the same thikness. I know I'm making everybody mad by keep talking about Megabloks, But I really don't see whats so wrong w/ them... I mean just cause they cost less.....

Dave
I think it is the weight and feel since they aren't made of ABS. Why, oh why do they have to be a Canadian company! It gives Canada a bad name...
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Sir Terrance wrote:I think it is the weight and feel since they aren't made of ABS. Why, oh why do they have to be a Canadian company! It gives Canada a bad name...
They're Canadian?

I didn't know that before. Interesting.

Still, they have been doing a better job lately of giving Canada a good name than Lego has been doing in Denmark. (Although if things continue to change, so long Canada!)
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Megabloks being from Canada is nothing to be ashamed of. They may have started off as a clone brand, but they have proven that their designers are much more capable of creating fun exciting sets that people will buy. At a time when TLC has seen their company steadily lose money, Megabloks has only become a stronger brand and their sales are reflecting that. Even now that the sets have been out for quite a while, the Dragon line is selling decently well. TLC should steal some designers from Megabloks, maybe then they could make set with the quality of Lego and the design qualities of Megabloks. They almost stole Megabloks dark grey, so why not their designers? :lol:

I may not buy Megabloks for myself, but I certainly don't look down on people who's cash flow means they have to buy Megabloks to satisfy their brick building cravings. Personally I think Megabloks could kill off TLC if they were able to make their parts from ABS.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.