looking for old castle sets complete.

Buying, Selling, or Trading LEGO or Castle related items
jason
Gong Farmer

looking for old castle sets complete.

Post by jason »

I'm new to the forum but am surprised to see people exist in my age group who love lego castles (i'm 27) but I used to own the black falcons fortress, kings castle, and the black monarchs castle, I had the best time, but this was back in say 1988-89 time frame, now I have a son myself and he's turning 5 and so you know what that means....it's Lego time. well a trip to the local toy store turned out to be a joke....what the Megablocks has lego been doing? the castle selection is WEAK!!! I mean Kings castle was 700 some odd parts ok? the new castle is less parts and also has peices that practically make up whole sections of wall instead of all the small peices like back in the late 80's. Where are the pirate ships? All I see now is movie themed sets and a few other sets that look ok. What I'm looking for is a place where I can purchase my old castles to play with my son, I mean Lego has to have an over stock collecting dust somewhere, Ebay is my only other choice at this point and can I trust someone to send me a lego castle with all 700 some odd parts? You guys seem like the experts on this so can you please help? Plus I wanna say major props to who ever it was that had that Flower castle he custom made with all the photos....holy cow man that thing is awesome, if I can't get these old sets like I want, then I think I'll just have to order a ton of parts from bricklink.com and custom make my own castles, the problem is getting the figurines and horses to go woth it...anyways, you guys rock and I can be reached at Navysquid4life@yahoo.com if you want as well.

sincerely,
jason bruce
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Jason,

Welcome to Classic-Castle.com. I moved this thread to the Buy/Sell/Trade forum because it belongs there. I am sure some people here can trade or sell items to you. For the most part I have found ebay pretty reliable. Just be patient to find good deals and make sure the more important pieces like figures are present. If any basic bricks are missing, these can usually be picked up cheaply from bricklink. Good luck with finding older castle sets.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
jason
Gong Farmer

thanks!!!

Post by jason »

hey i appreciate your insight, thanks, I never thought too much about all this until I went to the store looking specifically for lego's and realized how much had changed and how much I had really loved my lego's. anyways I'll take your advice on the ebay, i guess I can just replace the bricks if their not present huh? You rock!!!!

Jason Bruce
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Welcome to CC Jason! I hope you'll like it here.

First off, it is generally agreed that the quality of Lego sets (most notably castle) has gone down quite a bit in recent years. Another thing is, that this year The Lego Company changed the colors of light grey, dark grey and brown. So, if you buy any sets from this year that have those colors, you will probably notice any "olds" that you have won't quite match up.

As for places to get lego, you have a few options. For sets, I would reccomend www.ebay.com - if the seller has good feedback, I would have no qualms buying something from him. For individual parts you might need, go to www.bricklink.com as Ben recommended. Also, you could trade parts here in the buy/sell/trade forum. Everyone here is very friendly and trusting here. Hope you and your son have fun!

Nick
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Welcome to CC jason!
my son just turned six, and has been into lego ever since he could sit up. (literally - I lost a few smaller pieces thanks to the whole "stick everything in your mouth" phase)
I think you and your son will find this to be a great place for advice on castles/castle building/parts finding, etc.

:D
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

Hey, for sets and parts I recommend www.ebay.com and www.briclink.com .
You and your son have lot's of fun.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Welcome to Classic-Castle Jason.

I won't recommend any more sites, since I don't know of any, about where you can get Lego. I will, however, point out that you are unlikely to get much Lego out of the group here. We'll give you tips on building, encourage your hobby, and point you to BrickLink and such, but we won't sell our Lego. That's why we're here in the first place. :D
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

We'll give you tips on building, encourage your hobby, and point you to BrickLink and such, but we won't sell our Lego.
This isn't necessarily true for everyone. I do not have a problem with selling sets I have doubles of or pieces which I do not find particulary useful. They might be perfect for someone else's project. Trading on cc is also nice. For the most part it has been great. Perhaps we should start a "safe sellers" list like what www.fbtb.net has.

Ben E.
CC Sets Admin
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Hi,

You can find old sets on eBay and BrickLink which you seem to already know about. Generally eBay will be cheaper for sets, especially if you are patient. If you're looking for an unopened (MISB) copy of an old Castle set, it will probably cost 3x - 8x the original price, but used sets tend to be close to their original price on average. There are some exceptions, like 6060 Knight's Challenge, which I would consider an extreme case.

If you want to just buy lots of grey bricks and build your own castles, you can find instructions for old castle sets on BrickShelf:
http://www.brickshelf.com

Getting the minifigs is the most difficult part. Most of the classic castle figures are highly sought after, and auctons for such figures tend to end around $2-$3 per figure. Be prepared to pay that much if you are going to try winning these figures on e-bay. If you just want specific figures, then can often be found on BrickLink, but they will probably cost a bit more.

Also, take a look at LEGO Shop @ Home:
http://shop.lego.com
There is a castle accessory pack with swords, helmets, etc. There is also a castle expander pack with lots of arches that is probably useful, but it is fairly expensive per part. Unfortunately, most of the brick packs use the new shades of grey, but there is an assorted brick pack which still uses the old color... while supplies last.

Also, some of the new LEGO sets are decent for building castles. I think the new Harry Potter Hagrid's Hut, Sirius Black's Escape, and Hogwarts Castle sets have a lot of useful castle building parts, but they all use the new grays.

Well, that should help you get started.
Last edited by rogue27 on Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

LegoFreak Said
my son just turned six, and has been into lego ever since he could sit up. (literally - I lost a few smaller pieces thanks to the whole "stick everything in your mouth" phase)
Bad Lego freak, I certainly hope those were duplo blocks he was shovin in there otherwise someone didn't read the "Warning small parts" hehe.
Dreams are only unrealized realities.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Draygen wrote:
Bad Lego freak, I certainly hope those were duplo blocks he was shovin in there otherwise someone didn't read the "Warning small parts" hehe.
nah - they were 1x1 round plates... I found 'em later... but decided not to keep em. :wink: