Cameras

Discussion of photography, editing and publishing techniques
Adam
Laborer

Cameras

Post by Adam »

Hello. I was thinking about buying a digital camera to show off my LEGO collection and that sort of stuff. What do you guys use?
"if its stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."
Jansen
Steward
Location: Pondering the paradox of organic American cheese...

Post by Jansen »

For me, a Canon G9. :P
"An apple a day keeps people deathly-allergic to apples away."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gusalagupagoo/]flickr[/url]
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

I use a digital SLR, specifically the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D. DSLRs are on the high-end of digital photography, but they certainly allow for a lot of features and control. Konica Minolta took itself out of the camera business, but sold thier designs to Sony, so I believe the currently available version of my camera is the Sony A100.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

You can get decent quality out of a mid-price camera. This is good for starters who have a desire for features but perhaps not very much experience.

I use an Olympus C-765 UZ (4.0 Megapixel), which features the all-important MACRO MODE for shooting close-up. This particular camera also records movies with sound and has an LCD screen for viewing scenes live and viewing shots and movies. It's a few years old now, but a worthy option. Prices vary from as little as 129 to around 287 USD. Camera media is called XD, and you can get a gig of memory pretty cheap. I recommend you buy a second battery, so one is recharging while the other is in use. Avoid third party brands, since they aren't as reliable and die out faster.

I also use an Olympus Evolt E-500 (8.0 Megapixel), which is more of a traditional photographer's camera, though digital, with nicer quality results and a formal lens system. This model allows you to view your photos on an LCD, but does not use the LCD for live shooting. For shooting you need to use the viewfinder. If you intend to buy a camera of this caliber, you will need to also purchase a macro lens. The camera can cost approximately 400 to 500 USD, though newer models of this line are available at 10 megapixels. Macro Lens is approximately 200 USD, though a higher quality model exists for double that. I actually do not own a macro lens for this camera yet, but I really want one for a big lego project. Always consider adding a UV lens to protect the main lens of the camera. Uses XD and two other types of memory.

Additionally, a tripod would be useful...

I believe my model is a Sunpak, which cost me about 49 USD. It sports a smooth feeling 3 way pan and tilt with a quick release system (this means there's a pad that you screw into the bottom of the camera, which can then be quickly attached or detached from the tripod frame itself. It's built out of aluminum, with a crank lever in the center shaft to raise or lower your camera position, can raise the camera to about... seven or eight feet max, but you can shorten the legs to make it about 2 feet tall. Also comes with built in retractable spikes if you need to set up outdoors on uneven terrain. Came with an extra mounting pad and a carrying case. Great all around tripod at a great value. Ordered mine from B&H Photo.

NEVER buy tripods at the mall, and be cautious of other brick and mortar retailers. They'll sell tiny tripods for more than what I paid for my more than capable Sunpak tripod.
Adam
Laborer

Post by Adam »

Well I'm on a pretty tight budget and I am hoping for something around $50..
But from what I'm hearing I'm expecting to pay around $100.
"if its stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

In that price range I'd look for a used digital compact, maybe a few years old, with macro mode and manual white balance. And a tripod.

Something in the Canon Powershot A-series, perhaps.
Danielas
Steward

Post by Danielas »

Definitely get a tripod.
God Bless. Danielas

Procrastinators Unite!!!!

(tomorrow)

Proud soldier of Classic-Castle. As in, I fight against the Legion of the Aggie.
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

My Olympus C-765 came with a tiny flexible leg tripod that was about 6 inches tall...

Anyhow, you probably don't have to spend more than 30 on a tripod, but it depends how big you need it to be...

As for cameras, you REALLY want to get one with macro, and I'm not sure how many point and click cameras sport that feature. Good luck.