My new camera

Discussion of photography, editing and publishing techniques
The Green Knight
Reeve

My new camera

Post by The Green Knight »

Ok guys here's my problem: I while back my digital camera broke down and just yesterday I finally got a new one. It's great. Five megapixels, clear pictures, the works. Only problem...it only takes snapshots in 2580 x 1932 pixels. This is a little big for brickshelf as you can see and I'd like to be able turn them into 800 x 600. it's really agrivating because I have like fifteen new mocs (no kidding) Waiting to be photographed and a bunch of CCRP character picks as well.

Any help?
Let us stop for a moment and ponder the signiture...

Ok, enough of that!
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I would suggest getting a nice image editing program to resize it without losing image quality. I know that GIMP is a free download, and I've seen people use it pretty well.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

If you read your manual, you can probably set it to a different size picture.

Also, software sometimes comes with cameras, which include a basic photo editing program.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

If you use windows you can resize the pic with their Picture manager. Thats what I do most of the time since my camera takes large pictures. Also, you can adjust the image quality on the camera. What kind of camera is it? Cannon? Nikon? Kodak? Sony?

GIMP is a good program, yet I haven't used it much, due to it complexity :wink: If you want some GIMP help, ask Graynar, for he's very good at using the program.
The Green Knight
Reeve

Shadow wrote:If you use windows you can resize the pic with their Picture manager.
Do you mean paint? I can resize the dimentions with paint, but it's really sloppy and hard to keep the height/width ratio. Meaning, they usually end up too wide or too high.
Also, you can adjust the image quality on the camera. What kind of camera is it? Cannon? Nikon? Kodak? Sony?
Kodak
ottoatm wrote:I would suggest getting a nice image editing program to resize it without losing image quality. I know that GIMP is a free download, and I've seen people use it pretty well.
GIMP sounds interesting. Can it resize pictures while keeping their shape unaltered?
Darkie wrote:If you read your manual, you can probably set it to a different size picture.
Well my camera has quality controls that change the megapixels from five down to like one. Do you think that's the same thing?

Ok, enough of that!
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

The Green Knight wrote: but it's really sloppy and hard to keep the height/width ratio. Meaning, they usually end up too wide or too high.
See if you can lock the proportions within whatever program you use.
Well my camera has quality controls that change the megapixels from five down to like one. Do you think that's the same thing?
Effectively, yes. When in doubt, experiment. It doesn't waste any film. :-)

When all else fails, read the manual. :-)
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

The Green Knight wrote: Do you mean paint? I can resize the dimentions with paint, but it's really sloppy and hard to keep the height/width ratio. Meaning, they usually end up too wide or too high.
No... with the office edition you can get a program called Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Thats what I use, its pretty much self explanitory and very easy to use. I would see if you can purchase office for a cheap price, supposing if you don't have it. :wink:
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

The Green Knight wrote:Do you mean paint? I can resize the dimentions with paint, but it's really sloppy and hard to keep the height/width ratio. Meaning, they usually end up too wide or too high.
If you have nothing else, you can use paint, but I wouldn't recomend it. You can resize pics in paint while keeping the same dimensions, but the quality is terrible. But if want know how, let me tell you. Select the entire image, right click, go to stretch/skew, and in there change the vertical and horizontal stretch to something smaller than 100. Make sure they are the same though. Ignore the skew half of it. This is however only for drastic means. I would suggest getting GIMP.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
The Green Knight
Reeve

Ok guys, thanks for all the help. My camera still doesn't want to take small pictures, even after reading the entire manual, but...I've discovered at least two programs on my computer that can alter dimentions and I haven't even downloaded GIMP yet. So it looks like I'll be able to finish all my picture taking. Thanks again guys.

Ok, enough of that!