Alternate Model Review: Wolfpack Renegades

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Alternate Model Review: Wolfpack Renegades

Post by architect »

Join the Classic Castle alternate model review discussion. Please post your opinions on the model play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which models stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6038 Wolfpack Renegades.

Wolfpack Renegades was released in 1992 and has two alternate models. The first image features a corral and hand cart scene. This cart is similar to later sets including 1736 Wizard's Cart and 1463 Treasure Cart. A Wolfpack chariot is the second model. It is very similar to 1794 Dragon Master's Chariot which was released in 1994.

Additional Images:
http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/imag ... /6038c.jpg
http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/imag ... /6038d.jpg
http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/imag ... /6038e.jpg
Last edited by architect on Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I like this idea for alternative models...

The first model, with the horse stall, is my favorite. Although both have carts (which I am gagging on), the horse stall is a pretty unique little creation. Sure, a lot of us could make better stalls, but isn't it nice to see TLG doing it? Nice little set, you could make all sorts of little things with it.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I like the second model best - the chariot is good, and we need more of them in Castle. Mind you, this is such a good set that I don't think it matters all that much...all the models will be good.

- Matt

BTW, this is the 666th Sets topic :twisted:
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

This is a pretty good wolfpack set in general. I like the first alternative model better.

Whatever happened to the days when you got a horse and wagon and it happened to have a saddle too?
It's a Christmas Miracle!
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Ah, the days when you really could make some very decent alternates from sets...

I like the horse stall idea becasue it is fairly unique, but both are alright. This set had alot of decent parts and it's always easier to come up with good alternates with a selection like this set has. So, not too shabby.

I like that you decided to start up the alternate reviews again too!
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

wunztwice wrote:I like that you decided to start up the alternate reviews again too!
Thanks! I will probably make the alternates from most sets given away in the CCC IV. The nice thing about 6038 is the large amount of small plates which can be used for alternates. Other smaller sets do not have the best alternate models. Larger sets like the Yellow Castle have great alternates but take a long time to duplicate each model.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

What always struck me about Lego alternate designs was the figures. They look good in the model and then somebody changes the legs/head gear just for the sake of change... why not leave the better looking figs with the all ready nice alternate design?

God Bless,

Nathan
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Oh, I don't know, the one on the right in the horse stall/handcart model picture doesn't look too bad.

As for the models themselves, I quite like the look of all of them. The Wolfpack were never very numerous to begin with, so it's nice to see them with some versatility.
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

I prefer the hand cart to the chariot, as the hand cart simply looks more like something that the Wolfpack would use, while the Royal Knights look more like chariot users.
zac_schmitt
Freeman

Post by zac_schmitt »

why not leave the better looking figs with the all ready nice alternate design?

maybe someone might like the "alternate" versions of the figs better? i don't see how it's a forgone conclusion that the figs in the original are better looking. besides, if they want to show all the different combinations, why stop at the figs?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

zac_schmitt wrote: maybe someone might like the "alternate" versions of the figs better? i don't see how it's a forgone conclusion that the figs in the original are better looking. besides, if they want to show all the different combinations, why stop at the figs?
I think you are correct. LEGO is showing kids that various minifigs can be made and you do not have to stick to the instructions. Sometimes these new figs do not look as good, but they do add variety. Of course in the Wolfpack universe there aren't too many different figures. 50% of the population has an eyepatch ;)

Ben
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

zac_schmitt wrote:why not leave the better looking figs with the all ready nice alternate design?

maybe someone might like the "alternate" versions of the figs better? i don't see how it's a forgone conclusion that the figs in the original are better looking. besides, if they want to show all the different combinations, why stop at the figs?
I understand why they do it... I just can't help but noting how ridiculous it gets in many old sets, obviously the policy was no fig remains unchanged, but sometimes the swopped round figs look very poor... Just an opinion...

God Bless,

Nathan
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

I would have to say I like the first one best. Mainly because a horse stall seems more civilian, which is what Lego lacks.
Norro wrote:I understand why they do it... I just can't help but noting how ridiculous it gets in many old sets, obviously the policy was no fig remains unchanged, but sometimes the swopped round figs look very poor... Just an opinion...
I agree. Many times they seemed to change figs just for change. However, sometimes the changes were good. It depends on the set.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
supernova
Journeyman

Post by supernova »

I must say, although I never really liked wolfpacks and their lego sets, the alternative models seem pretty cool ideas, that can be adapted into a lego village/medieval life setting :)
so i actually like the alternative models better than 6038 itself
~~ Supernova ~~

Good trades with: Chrislad77, kelderic, Strider, Unknown Knight and ZIGGY!
Lord Nev
Reeve

Post by Lord Nev »

Aaaahararararararrrrr! We finally have the yellow bricks! The kingdom is ours!

Ooh! Nice army builder. Plenty of broadswords. I'd buy 6 of these for a raiding party.
Beware the day my soul is unleashed. Not even Megablocks itself will rival its fire!