They've done the unthinkable

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Barbapple
Steward

They've done the unthinkable

Post by Barbapple »

They've taken spider-man!
http://www.brickset.com/search.aspx?query=4860
That's right........jack stone.........stoner-man I suppose....
Anyone but spider-man...........why :(
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Apparently Children like the Jack Stone scale. I for one am not against it, Spider-Man is likely to be huge movie with a large kid audience. Anything TLC can do to bring kids into the fold young is a good idea from a financial standpoint. The sets as a whole compared to the Jack Stone line don't look that bad and we still have some more than decent system scale sets. Now if they had done what they did with pirates and ignored the system scale altogether, then I'd be really bothered by it.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

wlister wrote:Apparently Children like the Jack Stone scale. I for one am not against it, Spider-Man is likely to be huge movie with a large kid audience.
Ahhh, but this is a point I keep bringing up here. Why do kids need big fat juniorized pieces like this? It just doesen't make sense. My brother amd several of my cousins started lego when they were around five and the whole choking on pieces thing at this age is a bit overated. Younger then that and duplo works pretty well. This inbetween stuff just isn't needed.

There's my 2 cents, oh well.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

It isn't the choking hazard, because really, that ends about age 2-3.

It is that younger kids are less dextrous than teens/adults - meaning their small hands have difficulty working with the teeny tiny pieces. TLG's concept with Jake Stone is to provide less time between 'building' and 'playing' - for example, if you bought 3739, it would take you an hour to build it - Jake Stone sets take only a few minutes, which means that much faster the kids can be smashing the car together or doing whatever kids do.

The idea is that eventually these same kids will grow up and get the system sets, then the technic, etc etc.

Aside from all the kids here at Classic-Castle, most LEGO kids are boys between eight and twelve. TLG is trying to expand that to include boys and girls, ages two til twelve (thirteen-year-olds, as we all know, are undergoing puberty and have other things to worry about, like zits and stuff).

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Puhlease, I was at that age when I was worrying about zits (never had much of them) and yet was still able to collect and build with bricks.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Man, I've been playing with SYSTEM Lego non-stop since I was like, old enough to know I was playing with something. I never even had any Duplo, cause my older brother had System stuff already. He got his first TECHNIC set at like 6. If they'd give em a chance, I think they'd find that kids today are quite capable of working with system sets just fine at a young age. Ah well..better this than no Lego at all... :wink:

Cm2
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

I have to say my son (5) plays with system bricks, and finds the jack stone stupid.

He saw the new spiderman sets and complained about them. Then he saw that some spiderman were still the appropriate size and he was somewhat mollified.

He did mutter the whole way around the store about stupid 'baby size' spiderman....

freak
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I suggest to any AFOL parent here who have KFOL children to send a letter to Lego telling them about your children's complaint against the Jackstone sized figs and sets. I suggested the same to Anita (The_Lorax), and she sent a letter or email to Lego about her son's complaint.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

IT BURNSSSS USSSSS.....
Well, I wasn't a fan of the Spider-Man theme in the first place, but now Lego is trashing every single line they have! This is sad! In the end, they'll end up regretting this. and if they don't I'll make them.

Why? Why do they torture us? It is not fair!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
(Undergoes mental breakdown and screams curses to the tool who ever created Jack Stone)
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
AoErat
Villein

Post by AoErat »

I predict TLC will only loose more money due to this venture.
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

wlister wrote: I for one am not against it, Spider-Man is likely to be huge movie with a large kid audience.
Will

AHhhhhhhhhhhhh, but you miss, spider-man 2, the movie this lego is based off of, Is rated PG 13, so I doupt the movie will be the next 'snow white' for the small childern...
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

When I saw the first one, there were literally hundreds of kids in the 3 - 6 year range in line for the movie. Parents don't always look at ratings when taking kids to big hero films like Spider-Man. I remember being in line for the first Batman movie and thinking there were some really young kids in line then. Batman was much darker than Spider-Man and all the bright colors make the parents forget ratings to some degree.

I won't buy any, but the Jack Stone scale can't be as unpopular as we think it is or they would have dropped the line by now. I never said I liked the line, but at least it didn't replace System scale Spidey sets the way the new pirate sets did.

That was the point, at least they didn't replace System scale. Personally I find the peach skin colors to be a much bigger issue than Jack Stone scale Spider-Man sets.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
LEGO_KNIGHT
Artisan

Post by LEGO_KNIGHT »

I have a strange feeling about this whole "Jack Stone stuff".

First, there was "Jack-Beard" in the Pirates theme. Now, there is a "Spider-Jack". What next?!
"JACK-KNIGHT"?! :x

The thought of it makes me sick. :(

Erwin
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

LEGO_KNIGHT wrote:I have a strange feeling about this whole "Jack Stone stuff".

First, there was "Jack-Beard" in the Pirates theme. Now, there is a "Spider-Jack". What next?!
"JACK-KNIGHT"?! :x

The thought of it makes me sick. :(
Oh, please don't even think of it. :x :x
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

Ladies and gentlemen, we have only one choice...
REBEL AGAINST THE SYSTEM! JACK STONE IS A DEAD MAN!
Grabs telephone and calls best hitman he can find...
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"