Weekly Set Review: Royal Knight's Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Itzik
Serf

Post by Itzik »

Sir Kohran wrote:I'm not sure I can review this set...

I loved this set so much back in 1995, but sadly I never got one. I'm still sad about that, and now that there aren't any on eBay/BrickLink I've given up hope of getting one. But I still have a Royal Knights poster with this set in the background, so all is not lost...one day, I hope, I will get one.

10/10, just by its looks alone

- Matt
Me too hope to get one, it is my favorit lego castle set... but 250$ it's a high price.... :(
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

Definitely one of my favourites. And one of many (to understate) that I lost, unfortunately, a few years ago. That said - I had it, and I loved it. I think I was 11 or 12 when I got this set - it was pretty new and I had most of the Castle sets that existed at the time. My grandmother bought this one for me - early Birthday present, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, it is one of the better castles. I don't remember a whole lot about it, except that it took me about an hour to build it, that I played with it for days on end, and that my little brother smashed it shortly after (I subsequently rebuilt it, of course). So all I can say is that it must have been a great set.

I know I really liked the side-facing drawbridge. And the tower it was connected to was really nicely designed. The gate/portcullis behind the doors was also a really awesome-looking feature. And hey, all the walls were an acceptable distance from the floor, which made an 'assault' on the castle look even more convincing.

And, of course, one can't review an old larger set like this without pointing out the awesome fig-count. Just terrific.

I have to say the one negative thing about this set, the only thing I can think of - is the knight without armour. What was TLG thinking? Even as a kid that really bothered me, because the head looks silly and overlarge without the armour. That guy needs some armour. Besides that - this is, in my opinion, one of TLG's best Castle sets ever.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Horak the Great
Peasant

Post by Horak the Great »

Among my favorite castles. The gargoyle heads and towers are beautiful touches. More palatial/fantasy than previous castles though. Great colors.
Good number of minifigs.

The only flaw I see in this castle set are the minifigs and their equipment. I never liked the cartoonish lion on the shields, torsos, barding, etc.

I've modified mine by adding most of 6091 onto the set. Works fairly well, I think.
DS9
Laborer

Post by DS9 »

one of the best castles, unfortunatly i dont have it. The rear end doesn't have high walls which makes it a weak castle, but hey... i dont mind!
Crazy.. i was crazy once.. once they put me in a round room with a dot in the corner i liked that dot i counted that dot... one.. one..one..one ..it drove me crazy!! Crazy?!? I was crazy once!!
teraflop122
Peasant

Post by teraflop122 »

I had always desired this castle, and I will forever kick myself for not getting it.

Hey, a hundred bucks was a lot for a little kid to fork out!
DanDanLegoman
Freeman

Post by DanDanLegoman »

I think this is my favorite castle. It looks awesome with it's high pinnacles and flags. I think the main draw for me are the colors. The black and grey look really cool with the blue rooftops and red flags. The colors on the minifigs are cool as well -- white shirts with red and blue sleeves and pants.

I agree that the set could use some chestplate armor though.
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

I prize this set, since I have but two from this series skeleton suprise and crossbow boat. Well what can I say! High piece count, huge army the cape, flags, rare hero minifigs and rare horse barding, exellent unqiue design and 8 triangular shields and 5 oviod shields, a catapult traps, and suprisely cool looking alterative models!!! :D :D :D
11/10 I almost never give extras, only for the best of lego
I am leniet to all lego sets :) gooday to all :wink:
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

I have to say, my love for this set has slightly dwindled after seeing King's Castle and Black Monarch's Fortress, as it seems to employ to many specialized pieces. However, it is still a masterwork. The great tower and the high fig count make it a great set.
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

The only thing missing from this set is a maiden.

9/10
gormadoc1
Artisan

Re: Weekly Set Review: Royal Knight's Castle

Post by gormadoc1 »

I know this is a review from 3 years ago but I would like to comment on it because its my favourate castle ever built. First of the minifigures are great, especialy the king which I think is the best king and if its any constolation the lion knights are my favourate faction as well, what I like about the king is his torso and face, also his great cape. The design of the castle is realy appealing, with two entrances and a secret entrance its perfect for creating a seige MOC, I like the towers as well but I especialy like those little doors at the front they just look excellent. The baseplate is something that is marvellous, they dont have them any more but they should do because they are great for building. overall I would rate the castle 10/10 because of its design and minifigs and its easy to customise. So overall this is the best castle That I have ever come upon.

gormadoc1
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
Nicker
Peasant

Post by Nicker »

I picked this one up on ebay recently. It's the last large castle to have a proper gate house and it's probably the biggest castle put out by Lego. I like the fact that the main gate doesn't have a drawbridge for a change and has double doors and a portcullis instead. Having a second large entrance with the drawbridge around the side is a very nice idea that sets this castle apart from others. This was also the last large castle to come with a decent amount of knights on horseback. The castle doesn't feel like it really has a well polished design and is a bit rough around the edges but it is very unique and has some nice features so I give this castle 8/10. :)
Classic castle fan to the core!
My Blog http://nicksbricks.blogspot.com/

My collection http://www.brickset.com/search/?owned=1
wallgorn
Freeman

Post by wallgorn »

This is my favorite Castle set of all time. I never got the set, though. The Royal Knights were and are my favorite Castle faction. If I could get this set I would in a heart beat.
Vilmar
Villein

Post by Vilmar »

not bad at all
with little customazation, I could do something with this.
Vilmar the Drow lord
Tyranus
Serf

Post by Tyranus »

I love this set.
One of the few LEGO System castle sets I own. The color scheme works very well for me, it has a good amount and variety of minifigures and accessories, and the raised baseplate is cool if you can find a way to work with it.

I'd say:

8/10 design (those stairs at the back are weird)
8/10 for figs
7/10 for parts (could have had some more wall elements, and I might have liked gray better)
10/10 for accessories
7/10 playability

So overall 8/10
When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth -- George Bernard Shaw