Village Layout

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Village Layout

Post by Dragon Master »

Sorry again for my stupid questions, I got to go to a library of B&N and get some reference material.

But untill then I have a question about castle layout (again directed to our "historians" :wink: )

Ok here is the dilema. I'm in the process of creating a city or village (3Cs style). Presently I'm in the planing stages for the main keep. I just would like to know this, would the keep be outside the city? would it be attached to the walls? would the town buildings go inside the castle walls? And a kind of off topic question, which noble would watch over the city (a baron? a count?)? And also were the Tudor style buildings common in a walled town?

This will help me in my layout. I'm trying to make a somewhat realistic (yet scaled down) British Town from about the 15th century.

If you have layout pics, or just some info, it would be largely apperciated.

Sincere Regards,

Dragon Master
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Legomaat
Laborer

Post by Legomaat »

Not much response to your questions so far, is it?
BTW, a question is never stupid, only a answer can be stupid.

But you are asking to write a kind of a book about building trough the centuries.
Okay, I try to keep it short.
One way (but certainly not the only way) in which a city can develop is as follows;
At first a wooden motte and bailey castle was erected. (1000-1100). At certain moment this castle could be replaced by a rectangular stone keep. (1100-1200). If the owner is rich enough, he can add walls, towers and gatehouses to this keep. These walls could be built either around the keep, or somewhere against it. In that case, the keep was a part of the curtain wall. Then, additional buildings were risen. A chapel. Stables. A blacksmith. Al these additions resulted in a lack of space within the castle walls. Thus other houses were built outside these walls. But these were very vulnerable to enemies of the castle, of course.
If the lord of the caste thinks this group of houses as important to him he has a second, mostly lower, wall built around them. Thus, a citadel is born.
But it can also be that at first the city was built, and a castle was added in later times.
The Tudor style is a late English gothic style and can indeed be found in walled cities.

I am not very familiar with the noble picking order, so I hope for you that an other CC-member can answer that question.

I hope, this is of any use for you. And as you said yourself, it is advisable to go to a library or something to get some more specific information 8)
"Too low they build, who build beneath the stars".

Edward Young / Night Thoughts.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

In the Middle Ages, I believe that the English (post-Hastings) pecking order was as such:

King
Duke
Earl
Baron
Baronette (Hereditary Knight with own lands)
Knight

The English had no Counts, and I believe (although I could well be wrong) that the titles of Marquis and Viscount didn't enter the English pecking order until the Renaissance, or later. A prince, would of course, be just under a king, and would probably have an additional title (usually that of a Duke, as in the Duke of York).
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Thank both of you for the help! What frustrates me with lego is that it is very hard to make angled building foundations and curved walls. I know it can be done but it is hard for an average builder. An I dobut any city had perfectly level and straight walls like those in the 3CS standard.

Well maybe I'll make a castle, and buildings without a walled city, maybe I'll add one someday.

I appreciate your responses!

Thanks,

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

There have been a few fine examples of angled and landscaped 3CS walls since the inception of the standard. You might want to check Brickshelf for Brickfest folders. I know Portland's Brickfest had some excellent castle buildings and it did have some 3CS walls that might help you find the autheticity you are looking for. Robert Carney's site has a lot of fine examples of Lego built castles. I am sure one or more on his site would help you get an Idea how you could make a 3CS styled town. His site is here: http://12.223.136.182/index.htm Good luck!

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

wlister wrote:There have been a few fine examples of angled and landscaped 3CS walls since the inception of the standard. You might want to check Brickshelf for Brickfest folders. I know Portland's Brickfest had some excellent castle buildings and it did have some 3CS walls that might help you find the autheticity you are looking for. Robert Carney's site has a lot of fine examples of Lego built castles. I am sure one or more on his site would help you get an Idea how you could make a 3CS styled town. His site is here: http://12.223.136.182/index.htm Good luck!

Will
Thanks, will. I know of Dr. Carney and usually visit his site 2 or more times per day. Personally I think the guy should be cannonized as a saint.

DM
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

Dragon Master wrote:Well maybe I'll make a castle, and buildings without a walled city, maybe I'll add one someday.
And when you do, you will have to post your pictures. I have a very similar to yours, in that I want to build a walled city, with keeps and towers, and all things medieval. But as I don't have enough pieces. I am planning to do it in a very modular way, that you can create and re-create various parts of the city (ie inner walls, market place, south gate, outer defenses, etc), by simply moving all the pieces around and reconnecting them with technic pins, just like the original Lego castles had. I will post pictures when I get a little bit further into my project.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

g2, he hasn't posted here for more than two years. It is extremely unlikely that he will respond.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

Thanks Keldric. I will be more careful with my postings. : :oops:
evilnailman
Peasant

Post by evilnailman »

I know this thread is just a little on the old side but I just came across it.

A Viscount is the eldest son of a Duke, i.e. next in line.

Matt
Knight David
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by Knight David »

i did not know too much before this, thanks guys you've really filled me with ideas!!!

Thanks agin,
David
Legendary_Corsair
Archer

Post by Legendary_Corsair »

Usually if you built a large wall with houses in it you could add stuff,keep church,etc.But if a town ran out of room and houses were built outside they would be open to enemies then the owner could build another smaller or larger wall to guard those and over and over till they reached their limit of property.
I am.......a....Future Legend