Weekly Set Review: Siege Cart

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

I think that this set is very impressive. It is a bit blocky, but I can tell you that about 4 of these all lined up together pointing towards the enemy is very impressive (I am sure the enemy does not think so).

I have several of these, which I have built from spare bricks and I have given them to my other factions, they do look good on the battlefield. I think with the introduction of some new pieces in the Lego range, I will probably be tweaking this design a little bit.

Overall it is a great set, and I wish I had more of them. Especially for the minifigs.

Rating: 9/10
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I have to say that this set is very overrated.

Ok it had two Crusaders, which is nice. However a lot of sets in the classic era were just as good army builders. Spears are the worst weapons as they are so easy to obtain.
But back in 1986 weapons were more evenly distributed. You were just as likely to get a bow as an axe, a sword, a lance, or a spear. Spears as ballista bolts (back then or today) are realistic. They are probably too dangerous today which is why the new ballista set does not use these pointed objects :wink:
Other than the spears it has a bow, which is nice, but I feel that Battle at the Pass is a much better weapon builder, and it's a modern set (it is only relatively around 5 times more expensive than this set and has a much greater variety of weapons and a LOT of weapons).
Battle at the Pass is a mid range price set which probably has the highest weapon to minifig ratio of any castle set. Comparing 6012 to 8813 does not make sense as they are completely different sizes. 6012 should be compared to Vladek Encounter or Viking Warrior Challenges the Fenris Wolf which have similar sizes and piece counts.
There is also no shield which places it behind a lot of other army builder sets from this era.
There is a shield on the front of the set
If this were released today with say Shadow Knights, bley and new-brown, I wonder how many people would rate this so highly.
The set only has 5 grey pieces and is mostly black.
I can't give this set more than a 3/10, and only that high because it has a low price point for two desirable figs.
I agree that better ballistas could be developed with today's elements. Nathan Well's Ballista is an excellent example: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/4839

The true advantage of this older set compared to modern sets is the excellent brick and plate selection. You can actually build other things out of this set. Check out the inventory here: http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/i ... thpics=yes

Ben
smegged
Freeman

Post by smegged »

architect wrote:
I have to say that this set is very overrated.

Ok it had two Crusaders, which is nice. However a lot of sets in the classic era were just as good army builders. Spears are the worst weapons as they are so easy to obtain.
But back in 1986 weapons were more evenly distributed. You were just as likely to get a bow as an axe, a sword, a lance, or a spear. Spears as ballista bolts (back then or today) are realistic. They are probably too dangerous today which is why the new ballista set does not use these pointed objects :wink:
Good point. I'm approaching these set reviews from a "if this set was released today, how would I rate it" point of view. I would probably like this set a bit more if spears were not so common these days (which they really are - you can get spears in pretty much every single set these days, and they're probably my least favourite weapon).
architect wrote:
Other than the spears it has a bow, which is nice, but I feel that Battle at the Pass is a much better weapon builder, and it's a modern set (it is only relatively around 5 times more expensive than this set and has a much greater variety of weapons and a LOT of weapons).
Battle at the Pass is a mid range price set which probably has the highest weapon to minifig ratio of any castle set. Comparing 6012 to 8813 does not make sense as they are completely different sizes. 6012 should be compared to Vladek Encounter or Viking Warrior Challenges the Fenris Wolf which have similar sizes and piece counts.
One of the points that a lot of people have made is that there are lots of weapons in this set. Vladek encounter has one less weapon than this set (unless there are hidden ones which I cannot see). The Fenris set has a higher weapon/fig ratio. The reason that I made the comparison was that both sets are really nothing more than army builder sets, and if released today would have a similar fig/cost ratio. BatP has really raised the standards of what army builder SETS (not minifig packs) can do.
architect wrote:
There is also no shield which places it behind a lot of other army builder sets from this era.
There is a shield on the front of the set
Oops, should have checked multiple photos.
architect wrote:
If this were released today with say Shadow Knights, bley and new-brown, I wonder how many people would rate this so highly.
The set only has 5 grey pieces and is mostly black.
Fair enough.
architect wrote:
I can't give this set more than a 3/10, and only that high because it has a low price point for two desirable figs.
I agree that better ballistas could be developed with today's elements. Nathan Well's Ballista is an excellent example: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/4839

The true advantage of this older set compared to modern sets is the excellent brick and plate selection. You can actually build other things out of this set. Check out the inventory here: http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/i ... thpics=yes

Ben
Yes it does have a good plate/brick selection, which makes it more attractive as a parts pack. The model itself is what causes me to give it a low score. There are two nice figs and a good selection of generic parts, but nothing which really jumps out and screams "buy me". At least to my mind :). After all, reviews like this are about taste, and this set really doesn't take my fancy. Possibly because I have no nostalgia towards it, and possibly because I've not seen it on a good angle. Pieces and minifigs are really the only plusses to this set (which admittedly makes it pretty attractive). Still, compared to other sets of the time I feel that this one was lacking.

cheers,

Smegged
Sir Brithead
Apprentice

Post by Sir Brithead »

I am pretty sure I had it, I had most of that faction back in the day. I like it and still do, a ballista, and two Minifigs. It is nice it is not a Catapult, seems LEGO favors the Catapult. Nowadays they would have used a rubberband or something to make it actually shoot. Anyway cool set, maybe I will buy more.
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

I faintly remember owning this set as a very young boy. It's a great set.
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

i think this is a good army builder:

2 minifigs
1 shield
3 spears
1 bow
not very expensive
a siege cart
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Re: Weekly Set Review: Siege Cart

Post by J_MAN »

I love this set! It's probably one of my favorites. I really like the ballista and the two soldiers it comes with. Unfortunately I don't own a copy. :cry:
veevers24
Newbie of the Month

Post by veevers24 »

This was my first set as a kid and at the tender age of five or six I thought it was a battering ram and always used it as such.
Not the best set for parts looking back now but a nice model on its own - I still have one built up now
Sir Prog
Laborer

Post by Sir Prog »

This is another set I owned that worked as a fantastic companion piece to the King's Castle. First of all, this set has a lot going for it that too many modern sets DO NOT, in that it was a minor and extremely inexpensive set that came with 2 figs instead of one. On top of that, 3 spears and bow and arrow to boot.

The cart has an original if not authentic look to it, not copied very often since. The makeshift yellow barrel predates the brown barrel, so while it doesn't actually hold anything, it is aesthetically interesting.

Finally, I cannot say enough about the simplicity yet sleek and awesome look of the classic blue capes. I LOVED those capes as a young child and any knight/soldier/etc who wore one was extremely privileged! : )

For quaint size to price to goods, this piece was a STEAL yesterday as it would still be today.

9/10
For the King's Castle!
Papy.G
Laborer

Post by Papy.G »

I managed to sort and build it up from random figs and parts bought off ebay, from the same bunch I have build 6061 wall and figs, groups of parts from the ballista were still stuck together, and the grey pants made the job of finding wich set was there easier.
I don't feel the need to complain about it, since it is a unique design, figs are quite diversified, and not badly equipped. Perhaps just little weels would have suited the ballista better, since it is a hand-cart after all.

If I was in a mood to complain, perhaps, I would ask for a sword and shield for the "captain", in an other coulour than the ballista's, or rounded. In the name of diversity, I would ask for another coulour legs for one of the two, and an axles or breastplate torso too.

Architect> 6016 had a very high Weapon/Fig ratio too (5/1) does BATP beats that? ;)
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
veevers24
Newbie of the Month

Post by veevers24 »

can you imagine a 200 strong army of these bad boys?