“Through Time Series” Books - Source Material

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
g2
Sir Postsalot

“Through Time Series” Books - Source Material

Post by g2 »

Hello All

I saw this book (A Port Through Time), in a bookshop here in Melbourne today, and I was quite fascinated with it’s contents. The book had some fantastic illustrations on medieval ports, and the street life around these ports. These lovely illustrations showed “cut-away” buildings as well as street-scenes and a large variety of ships as well.

I did a search on the large online book-store and found that there other books in this series (see list below).

I would really like to know, if anyone on this Forum has actually got any of these books, and if so, what do they think of them? Are they a good source material for building castle/medieval structures?

A Port Through Time by Anne Millard

A Street Through Time by Anne Millard

A City Through Time by DK Publishing

A Farm Through Time by Eric Thomas
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

I would not get one bacause it's only 32 pages and 19.99. If the pictures were excellent I might get it, but it seems like a waste of $ for such a short book.
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

Hob Took wrote:I would not get one bacause it's only 32 pages and 19.99. If the pictures were excellent I might get it, but it seems like a waste of $ for such a short book.
You know what. I wouldn't purchase one either (especially at full-price). But if a copy exists in a library, or you can borrow it from a friend, it is a good resource book.
Emp.Justinian
Archer

Post by Emp.Justinian »

I own the city and street. The street one is very good and fun. It is located in central gual/france (probably) and travels through a couple thousand years. The city (located in greece) is also very good though not quite as good. I havn't used them for MOC ideas personally, but I think that they could be used for that purpouse. They are very fun. I would say that they are a good buy.

God's speed

Emp.Justinian
Support the true king, Support SavaTheAggie!

A proud member of the Legion of Aggie

I Pledge Allegiance to SavaTheAggie
and to the empire for which it rules
one Empire under One Admin
invincible, with tyranny and injustice for all.
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

Emp.Justinian wrote:I own the city and street.
I am so glad that someone actually owns these books. I was surprised to find that my post sat here on the Forums for ages and no-one had any comments about it.

Thank you for a being an owner of these books.
Emp.Justinian wrote:I would say that they are a good buy.
Hmm...you are making me want to buy them now. :D
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

I saw this the other say at my library, but was in a hurry and didn't stop to look. I think I will go back and check it out.

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Shadowviking
Councilor

Post by Shadowviking »

I stick by the Compendium.
These sound pretty cool, though- might have to look into them some more. (I actually might have city- it sounds familiar.)
...and that's how Equestria was made!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/people/shadowviking/]flickr[/url] | [url=http://receptacle.tumblr.com/]tumblr[/url] | [url=http://tellers-tales.wikidot.com/]teller's tales[/url]
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

Shadowviking wrote:I stick by the Compendium.
This looks good, I think I will buy it, when I get some money. Thanks for sharing the link.
The Shadow Knight
Archer

Post by The Shadow Knight »

I wouldn't buy it either, but thanks for showing us this!
-May your winds be fair !