Water Aqueducts

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Hob Took
Reeve

Water Aqueducts

Post by Hob Took »

Does anyone know about how people got water to a city/town? Were the citys/towns just built really close to the water? Did they have aqueducts, or some kind of run off system to bring the water? I would be interested in a response. :?
Last edited by Hob Took on Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

Both.

Cities like Rome(large cities) had aquaducts running to them. They needed these to get enough water for the whole population.

Most small villages and the like where built near water sources, as they did not have enough money to build adiquit aquaducts. Therefor, they needed to build need a stream, river, pond, lake, or some other form of water. SOme villages and the like also had some wells and such.

Hope it helps,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
Tedward
Squire

Re: Water Aqueducts

Post by Tedward »

Hob Took wrote:Does anyone know about how people got water to a city/town? Were the citys/towns just built really close to the water? Did they have aqueducts, or some kind of run off system to bring the water? I would be interested in a response. :?
Actually if you look at virtually all medieval cities or towns they are built right next to a body of water. Usually a river or where the sea meets the river. This was because water was the main transportation system for heavy goods. This also provided a ready supply of drinking water for most towns. Although larger towns and citizens who could afford it would pay for better quality water to be piped through aqueducts or brought up from private wells.

The grand aqueducts for the public were an almost entirely Roman phenomenon and mostly ceased to be built and maintained after the fall of the Western Empire. The skill of Roman engineers was such that some aqueducts still work to this day!
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

Thank you Remyth and Tedward for your replies. :D

Hob Took
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

Remyth wrote:Most small villages and the like where built near water sources…
I would even say that the water supply near a village would definitely be a drawing card for more people to live within the village. Thus making a small village into a bigger village, and then probably into a city. – I don’t really have any historical evidence to back this up, but that doesn’t mean it can not be true. 8)
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

g2 wrote:
Remyth wrote:Most small villages and the like where built near water sources…
I would even say that the water supply near a village would definitely be a drawing card for more people to live within the village. Thus making a small village into a bigger village, and then probably into a city. – I don’t really have any historical evidence to back this up, but that doesn’t mean it can not be true. 8)
G2, thats exactly how cities evolved.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Knight David
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by Knight David »

They moastly got water from lakes or wells, as far as i know!!!

David
Legendary_Corsair
Archer

Post by Legendary_Corsair »

I think if you were near a water source and couldn't afford aquaducts you could build a stream or a clean trench,but as for big cities you would have to have both.I think they built those first because water is the main thing you need to build a city.
I am.......a....Future Legend