Castles in England

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Aidan
Foot Soldier

Castles in England

Post by Aidan »

Hey all,

I am taking a week vacation to London in April and was wondering what I should see for castles. I will actually be staying at a flat in Knightsbridge so I plan to see the tower of London of course. Beyond that I am looking for suggestions. Anyone from England? Anyone been there? I haven't.

I also am planning to take an overnight trip somewhere else and was looking for suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help!
-AidanCole
Let them come...
They will break upon this fortress like water on rock!
---King Theoden

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=the6717
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Let's see...

Near London, my favourites are probably Warwick and Leeds Castle. Of course, there's also Windsor Castle where you can also stop by Legoland U.K., and Hampton Court Palace is also recommended if you're into extravagant architecture and stuffs. As for your overnight stay somewhere, I highly recommend the town of Chester (near Manchester) which is one of the best preserved medieval town in the world; but then there's also the town of Bath out west which should need no introduction, and if you go by car, you can actually stop by to see Stonehenge on your way back (tip: the entrance fee to stonehenge will be less if you see it on your way BACK to London, instead of the other way around). And last but not least, there's Tintingel (in Cornwall) which some believe to be Camelot itself. Despite being just a ruin nowadays, who can resist the charm of King Arthur, Lancelot, and the holy grail...

Be warned of a costly trip...

R. B.
Aidan
Foot Soldier

Post by Aidan »

Thanks a lot RB! Great stuff :D . I have been too busy to give the trip much thought, but now I am getting excited :D :D

I be sure to report back after I get home!
Let them come...
---King Theoden

The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Chepstow is my favorite. Near Cardiff is south east Wales right at the border with England. Never beem there but my sister has! (curses her with foul epithets) :twisted:

Dr. Carney is building it right now go over and have a look
http://12.223.136.182/index.htm

Richard
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Aidan
Foot Soldier

Post by Aidan »

Red Bean wrote:Let's see...

Near London, my favourites are probably Warwick and Leeds Castle. Of course, there's also Windsor Castle where you can also stop by Legoland U.K.,
R. B.

Finally getting a chance to do some research. Windsor is a must! Warwick looks great but I wonder about getting there by rail? A lot of walking? I will have an infant.

How is Legoland U.K? The website is not all that informative. If its all kiddy rides shaped like Lego I can live without it. But if there are giant MOCs it will be a must visit!

Thanks for all the input!
-AidanCole
Let them come...
---King Theoden

Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

Two words: Windsor Castle
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Hi Aidan,

The distance between Warwick Castle and the train station is approximately 1 mile. But the problem is not that, as once inside the castle, you can expect even more walking because of the sheer size of the place with so many things to see. You might also want to consider renting a car and driving from London, but if so do be careful about driving on the 'wrong' side of the road when in England.

As for Windsor, my own personal feeling is that while it's nice, it's not really worth the entrance fee (compared to Warwick and others) because so many parts of it are closed off to the public. Besides, for stuffs to do with the Royals the Tower of London has a much better collection anyway. As for Legoland UK, there'll be giant MOCs for sure but I don't know if your kid will enjoy the rides there very much, I took my cousin there once and he didn't like the rides one bit, 'childish' is his description of them.

R. B.
visit my website: www.redbeanstudio.net
Aidan
Foot Soldier

Post by Aidan »

Hi ho all,

Well I have returned from my London adventure. Very nice! I covered london by foot from the tower of london to the British Museum to Buckingham and back to the flat in Knightsbridge! Whew, and most of time carrying my 18lb 6 month old.

Tower of London was very cool! Saw it late in the day and did not get to spend as much time as I wanted though. Made the same mistake at Windsor. I thought Windsor was excellent as well (it was my wife's favorite). For a yankee with very little real castle experience it was thrilling just looking out over the Thames about 100 feet below.

We also made a day trip to Warwick. The trains are very well put together over there! We got there early and really took our time at the castle. I am proud to say that I climbed all 250 stairs to the top of Guy's Tower with my Baby strapped to the front of me! This was an excellent castle because it has it all; from tall towers to dungeons, to living quarters, and, best of all, a barbican with portcullis and the works. It is a little bit Disney-esque in parts, but I was willing to overlook that.

On the whole, an excellent trip! I must return without the baby to really do it right! Thanks for the tips Red Bean :D ! I have so much to incorporate into my castle now! It will truly never be finished :(
Let them come...
---King Theoden