"Extra Curricular" Castle Activities

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.

What Extra-curricular Castle Activities do you do?

Make armor
13%
Make weapons
No votes
Use weapons (i.e. archery)
46%
Other
17%
None
25%

Total votes: 24

Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

"Extra Curricular" Castle Activities

Post by Sir Smittens »

Do any of you do things that you'd really do if you lived in castle times? For example, I have a bow and arrow that I practice with a lot.

Oh, forgot to mention that I don't practice on any live game.
Philosophies of my life:

"A PC turned off is better than a PC turned on"

"It's not about who wins...it's about who gets to gloat after they win."
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

I voted "Use Weapons". I enjoy sparing with my wooden swords (also known as wasters), and I would also enjoy archery (if I had a bow).
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Er... The extent of my medieval-style activities is sparring with a couple of my friends using sticks... :oops: :oops: :oops:

I would do all of the above if I could.... But I don't really have the supplies or money to get them.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Devari wrote:I would do all of the above if I could.... But I don't really have the supplies or money to get them.
Well, you could make some nice looking wasters with some strait sticks and a knife; they wouldn't have a hilt, but would still work well. I made my own wooden sword by carving and sanding down both sides of most of a 1" dowel to 1/2". Then I took a piece of wood 2"x6" and about 3/8" thick, drilled a one-inch hole in the center and used Gorilla glue to fasten it to the dowel, forming the hilt.
Very inexpensive, but it works well and looks nice.
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

I miss the option "none" ;)
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
SirCumferance
Laborer

Post by SirCumferance »

I make maille, and realy want to buy a dagger and sword. Some shuriken would be cool too. I would cut watermelons in half and stuff. :D
I am the queen of France!

... Maker of Castle Crusade

Mail me! kullvox03222@yahoo.com
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I have a replica of a Scottish Claymore that I used to practice with. Now that I have kids it had to go in storage so lately I guess the option was none, but I had to remember my younger days hacking at a giant bean bag with the sword. And no it wasn't a replica of the Mel Gibson sword, I bought it back in '91 as a gift to me for my high school graduation.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

I know of this site that shows you how to make a life size suit of chain mail. If you type 'tutorial create chain mail' or something like that under www.google.ca you should get that site as one of the first few. I would like to try archery, but need some instructions how to make a good long bow and arrows.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

I miss the option "none"
I figured if that was your answer, you wouldn't choose one. But, I am the (relatively) new guy.
I would like to try archery, but need some instructions how to make a good long bow and arrows.
Neither bows nor arrows are very expensive. I can't remember where I got my bow, but it's really nice quality and it wasn't very expensive. Big 5 (US only, I think) has un-medieval like arrows for I believe a little less than a dollar (again, US).
Philosophies of my life:

"A PC turned off is better than a PC turned on"

"It's not about who wins...it's about who gets to gloat after they win."
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

I have a bow that I practice with and I am saving up for a sword. My friend though has about six swords and is still building up his collection.

I myself also like fighting with sticks. It is really fun :D
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I chose 'use weapons', but I would have liked to choose two or more options.
In my town, there is a medieval/fantasy roleplaying group, and though I haven't participated with the whole group, I have sparred with a couple of the members. I plan on taking both European and Oriental style fencing classes when I get more money to do so. An archery class is also offered at my local community college.
I collect medieval style clothing, and I also have somewhere around 15-20 swords and a crossbow.
As for actually producing medieval items, I have made two tunics (both of which are no more... they were destroyed after a couple of uses) and two shields.
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

As for actually producing medieval items...two shields.
:shock: How do you do that?

--Caleb
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Sir Smittens wrote:
As for actually producing medieval items...two shields.
:shock: How do you do that?

--Caleb
I basically just got some half inch ply-wood and cut out the shape that I wanted (I have a 2 and a half foot round and a diamond shaped shield). Then I put 4 thick bolts through it, to which I attached the straps, which were made out of childrens' leather belts. Then you just paint them. I'm not sure how accurate they are, but they look nice, and they are somewhat functional. I've never used them, as they aren't padded on the back so it would probably hurt my arm a lot if they were hit. However, I have tried hitting them as hard as I could with a baseball bat, striking them with the edge of a sword and thrusting with tip of the blade (two handed, with all of my strength), and they hold up pretty well... just a couple of minor knicks, which I filled up with wood putty.
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

And how historically accurate was wood putty? :lol:

I got to try this soon...

--Caleb
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

If I read a lot of book about Medieval History is this consider as an castle activity ?
I think it is.