Things you did with your Lego when you were younger...

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Sir Dillon
Man-At-Arms

Post by Sir Dillon »

I was very good about not breaking or painting the pieces, so the main thing I wish I didn't do was just playing roughly with my Lego. A good number of them are worn down, and/or scratched up.
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Dunechaser wrote:I also did a bit of painting, of both accessories and minifigs (yes, that's a white Classic Space minifig painted as a skeleton).
And suddenly I understand why you are a purist nowadays ;)

I don´t remember mistreating my LEGO though, I was always a very careful child. But almost all my white bricks became yellowed though...
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

I cut, painted, twisted, and other wise folded, spindeled and mutilated them. When I was a kid the piece slection was pretty limited, no minifigs back then. I built rough approximations of cities (just the buildings) and stomped them after my favorites movies; Godzilla! I once built a neat Hogan's Heroes diorama with white (snow) on top of the tunnels. I spilt a coke all over it. Some of my white bricks still have the coke on them, probably a solid 30 years later. Wow, I haven't thought about that is years.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Rusty Brick
Laborer

Post by Rusty Brick »

Oh man if I could have all my childhood legos back in good condition...

I regularly took all the figures into the bath--be careful! Their faces can wash off with soap.
I lost loads of pieces in my sand box and yard.
I painted several to make them match eachother.
I would grind pieces into unusual shapes with whatever I could find--I especially liked to use the motor from the lego monorail, it would leave nice gashes in minifig heads.
But most painfully--I melted several (included some of the original lego women) to make mutants.

On that note, anybody interesting buying/trading for some used lego? :wink: Just teasing, but really most everything is okay but I wonder what it would have been like to be a little more gentle to my colletion.
~R. Brick

Got Lego?
forseti
Villein

Post by forseti »

I used to shoort darts at minifigs with an Indonesian blowing pipe. Lined them up and shot until the last man was down.. Other than that I was a pretty tidy kid (tidier than I am today, heh).
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

I painted, cut, glued, rasped, broke, bit, blasted, lost my Lego.

Particularly all the rare and cool parts were due to be stressed a lot:

First thing that happened when I played with my 6067 Guarded Inn? The clips from the inn sign broke. Later I even added a few more black framework beams to the red timberwork corners…

First thing that happened when i played with my 6041 Armour Shop? Yeah, the clips of the Lions’ flag broke. Also the print vanished. And I really seriously considered making a black cutlass out of the black sword. I literally had the blade of a carpet cutter already touching the blade of the sword, but I refrained…

Needless to say the first thing to happen when I played with my 6040 Blacksmith Shop was that one tooth of the pitchfork broke…
And so on.

I deliberately broke the handles off some shields to get pistols. Back when there weren't any official Lego pistols. I also cut quite a lot of helmets to make Roman legionnaires’s helmets (cassis), I cut the arrows out of the arrow-and-bow-pieces. I cut the blades of the precious swords to get cutlasses and epees for my pirates, before there was the official Pirate line. I painted additional pieces of stone on the castle wall parts. I drilles holes into the pointy tops of the nose-guard- and chin-guard-helmets to be able to stick plumes into them.
And so on.

And I lost the stickers of my 1592 Town Square. That’s pretty bad. I got a bunch of these Castle guards back, though. A friend of mine owned the yellow Castle 375 then, and we peeled off the stickers from the knights’ vests to get cool grey ”armoured vests“ for our Town’s police officers. I'm almost glad I didn't own that yellow Castle myself. What would I have done to it!

And of course I used my teeth to separate 1×2 plates from each other. There was neither a Brick Separator nor did I have the wits to use two 1×2 bricks to separate the plates. Toothmarks all over.

And of course i glued custom made stickers, hats and bandanas to my pirate figures, also before there was an official Pirates line, but still when there was one.

The Lego from my childhood was used as used can be. I don't exactly regret that. I had lots of fun.

Bye
Jojo
Last edited by Jojo on Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
MaxiVisVires
Squire
Location: San Diego, CA If I was any closer to LEGOLand, I'd be living there

Post by MaxiVisVires »

I mixed mine with Mega Bloks. :cry:

Seriously, one birthday I got a Mega Bloks set (my only one ever) and I didn't notice the difference at first and just mixed the pieces together. Then I would run across a brick every so often and wonder why they were so different.
"The Wise Warrior, When he moves, Is never confused; When he acts, Is never at a loss."
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=kaylinda]Vis Vires Toys[/url] | [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... xivisvires]My Brickshelf[/url]
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

Rusty Brick wrote:I melted several (included some of the original lego women) to make mutants.
Gah! It's people like you that have influenced Lego to stop making as many female minifigs nowadays! :wink:
Jojo wrote: The Lego from my childhood was used as used can be. I don't exactly regret that. I had lots of fun.
Well I think that yeah, no matter what we did to violate and damage our Lego, we all probably had a lot of fun doing it at the time. I'm sure some of these decisions made sense back then! :lol:

Anyone have any stories of younger siblings destroying their Lego?
brody
Laborer

Post by brody »

On one or two occasions I filled the head of a minifig (never a castle one—I always took excellent care of those) with red dye and placed it loosely on the minifig's torso. I would then drop it on the ground from ever-increasing heights until the head popped off and the minifig began to 'bleed.' I'm pretty sure I melted a few minifig body parts to create 'mutants' as well.

The only modding I ever did was to remove the head from a horse, by seperating the two halves of the horse's body with a penknife, and replace it with a minifig (sans legs) to create a centaur. (To attach the minifig's torso just glue a round 1x1 plate to the horse body where the head used to be, and attach).

I've never liked sticker's, they seemed cheap, and even as a kid I never used them.

Cheers,
Brody
Shadowviking
Councilor

Post by Shadowviking »

I cut plates, tiles, etc. into smaller plates, tiles, though I can thankfully get most of them back together and hold them in place with bricks...
But my older brother was worse..Glued a cracked torso, but the legs were put on too soon, and they got glued, a head suffered the same. Coincidentaly, they were both the same print, the Majisto/Blue Peasent shirt thing... I saved them, though, and they are still usable. Oh yeah, he also glued a turntable to a red boat... he did some cool stuff, early customizing, like putting a second axehead on an axe to get a double-bladed, trimmed a shortsword to make a much more vicous looking short sword, (I'm actually using it for Sting) All that I can understand. (Except for the boat thing, I mean what on *earth*?)

But melting minifig parts in the microwave?! Match-singing a Bat lord head black?! :evil: Grrrrr....

Eh...
Oh, and I tried to actually *sail* the Longboat in the tub, using a fan... but it just sunk it, causing the mast to get wet, causing me to vow to never do that again...
...and that's how Equestria was made!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/people/shadowviking/]flickr[/url] | [url=http://receptacle.tumblr.com/]tumblr[/url] | [url=http://tellers-tales.wikidot.com/]teller's tales[/url]
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

None of you deserve to own lego ; ) I always took good care of mine, except for the sunlight part. Beyond that I can't complain... of course some would say opening the sets was going to far so everything is relative ; )

God Bless,

Nathan
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

Somehow I managed to tick my brother off royally and in reprisal he smashed my Carribean Clipper. I mean SMASHED, I never could find all the pieces after that (or find the instructions once I discovered BL) Still got the yellow bird though.

My neighbors were from Holland and had ALOT of lego. Occasionally I'd bring all my knights over to his house for a tourney. One day we got bored with charging each other holding our favorite knight we got the genious notion to take 5 2 x 4's and make that into a shot which we threw against his super fortress (really just a long wall with all our troops hiding behind it, yes both mine and his) Needless to say, we lost alot of spear points that day (along with brick from that giant wall)

I also did something else but I'm kinda proud of it (sorta a custom) so I'll wait 'till I got a digicam. (Okay I'll give a hint; Lance + Nailfile = ?)

Peace and long life,
Ser Loktar
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM
Shadowviking
Councilor

Re: Things you did with your Lego when you were younger...

Post by Shadowviking »

RichardAM wrote:...that you wish you hadn't? :(

•I coloured in my skeletons. For some reason I decided they'd look better if they had blood on them. :roll:
Come to think of it, I put rotting flesh on mine, in other words, teal sharpie that I apparently thought had a similar look. :?
I soft scrubbed them, though, and all was well... except for one of their faces, which came off as well... :cry:
...and that's how Equestria was made!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/people/shadowviking/]flickr[/url] | [url=http://receptacle.tumblr.com/]tumblr[/url] | [url=http://tellers-tales.wikidot.com/]teller's tales[/url]
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

I BUILT a BARBIE DREAM HOUSE for my sisters barbies. Then my little pirates attacked. I'm so ashamed.

At least I won. :P

Oh yeah, I forgot the Microwave. Poor lil' jailbreak joe will never forgive me.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I used to bite them to separate parts... :cry:

I used markers to "paint" a helmet, and this Blacktron II jet pack to make a "Vorlon encounter suite" (from Babylon 5).
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]