Weekly Set Review: Dark Dragon's Den

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

I wasn't a big fan of the Freight Knights in general. Their sets usually had large rock wall pieces that I didn't use much. The dragons were cool for a time, but after a while they got old. This set has some good figs though (which is just about the only reason I got the sets) and a good accessories.

Overall: 6/10
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

This was an ok set. Sure, there are lots of burps, et al. but as a kid this was still an alright parts pack. I got it because of the dragon and it was one of the larger sets (more figs!) I'm not going to say I love this set, but neither am I going to say it completely stunk. It not just sentiment either, I like the brown tree and the fact that it was a half baseplate sure didn't hurt! When I got it I really htought it resembled a rocky peak or section of a mountain and altered it several times to suit my mountain needs! It was even a forestmen outpost at one time or another.
There's more details that both help and hinder the set, it sits somewheres in the middle-ground as far as I'm concerned.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Rusty Brick
Laborer

Post by Rusty Brick »

I'm a fan of BURPs. I don't care for the dark dragons den. Yes, a bit of a parodox but here is why--even though I think BURPs can be useful in small doses, using them as the corner piece of a set or MOC is a mistake. While the DDD set brought new pieces in large ammounts, it didn't bring much else.

Still, I liked it when it came out, 6/10.
~R. Brick

Got Lego?
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

nice set!
i own one, it has great parts, two knights with horses, one archer,
another majisto, a dragon and a lot of BURP's and LURP's.

overall: 8/10
Chrislad77
Foot Soldier

Post by Chrislad77 »

I think this is definately the best set of the dragon masters line. It's suppose to be "dragon den" and to me that suggests a cave. In that context they pulled it off nicely. The figures are excellent, getting 2 fully equipped knights is nice. Now a lot of these parts are common but they were brand new and somewhat rare then. So yes if I saw this in stores today I'd quickly buy it.
leaf_of_lire
Reeve

Post by leaf_of_lire »

I wanted to get this set... A green dragon, a cape (I think), and other good stuff like that. I would not mind having that tree also. Overall: 8/10.
PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

This is a hidden mountain outpost/dragon den, not a fortress, and when you analyze it from that perspective it's so much better. I don't understand why you guys hate everything that's not a typical plain castle. I love this set because it adds diversity and playability to the castle realm. It also makes sense within the castle kingdom, unlike some of the crazy Fright Knights stuff.

Parts: 7/10
Playability: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 8/10
Design (then): 6.5/10
Design (now): 7.5/10
Nostalgia: 7.5/10

Overall Score: 7.42/10
ericgizmo
Freeman

Post by ericgizmo »

I never got this set :x but it looks cool
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

This is pretty good for a Dragon Master's set. I think the use of BURPs is very good in the den, and it has a very natural feel to it.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Dragon Master wrote:Its a Den! For a Dragon! Who is Dark!
I always assumed it was a dark den for a dragon... :D

I like this set. It was a nice little cavern thing for a dragon to live in. Sure, it is a little burp-y, but we all get that way sometimes, especially when we've had too much soda to drink...

I like the little moving rock on the bottom that hides, what I always used as a Wizard's laboratory.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

This set is a good parts pack, but as a playset, it's a stinker. No bricks to speak of, and among the weakest torsos in the entire castle line. I like the parts themselves, but they just don't add up to a good set.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
Tjsingle
Serf

Dark Dragons Den

Post by Tjsingle »

Im not a dragon masters person i like blackfalcons

Well thats just me :D
Brickzone
Bailiff

Post by Brickzone »

This set is on my mental list of ones to get; I think design-wise the overall effect of it is fairly smart. I would have considered it overpriced at the time of release (I'm not against BURPs but I don't think they are worth as much as the same weight in bricks). I'd still say it mostly goes for too much on ebay; but I intend to pick it up sometime for say €20 including postage (there's the catch - postage for Ireland can be pricey).

I don't really have any Dragon Masters yet, I'd like to get some. I like their knights (dragon helmet decoration and horse head armour!).

I also would like this for the brown tree trunk parts and the BURPs - I've few of the latter due to my pre-dark ages dislike of them. I'd now consider them very handy and useful (just like say, castle wall parts are).
Coatsy
Laborer

Post by Coatsy »

It is really very fun to read everyone's opinion on the Dragon Master's Line. I completely missed this line during my own "Dark Age". Looking back on the line it is not half bad. I like the series torsos and I like the fact that the Dragon Masters make a fairly decent cavalry troop or dragon borne air force.

The set itself, as mentioned by many, is not a castle. I see it as a good action set. Dragon Hunters going to a lair, or the place where the dragon riders keep their steeds.

Yes I tend to be look at the brighter side of sets, but I think the Dragon Masters Line is far better than some of the castle sets that are currently out in stores.

I give the set a 8 of 10 because you can always use more dragons.
Herb Coats

"Chimichanga!"
zac_schmitt
Freeman

Post by zac_schmitt »

I give the set a 8 of 10 because you can always use more dragons.
quoted for truth. this is not a set i'd want, really, beause i'd rather spend my money on a castle, but i rather like the dragon masters as figs and as an idea for a line. the set itself does what it sets out to do well, although it's the sort of set you'd expect to see mega blocks put out, not lego - this is not to say there shouldn't be any sets like this, it's just not what i'm looking for as a castle fan.
79% of Classic Castle hates KK2. If you're one of the 20% that loves it, paste this into your sig. Started by Danju.