Weekly Set Review: Royal King's Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Coatsy
Laborer

Post by Coatsy »

I have waited on posting my opinion of this castle set until I actually got one. This past weekend I found one for half off at the Atlanta Lego Store (which is actually in Duluth, Georgia, funny eh?) so I took the plunge and got it. It was a good thing too because as I looked around the store at the other products the remaining three castles were snatched up. Good timing on my part I guess.

Now it is onto the review! I like the color combination of this set. It is good mix that is pleasing to the eye. I actually wish the towers were a little taller. With this raised base plate caste set I feel that the towers need to be taller. It looks better in my opinion, but your mileage will vary. I like the breast plates for the Bull Knight and the King’s Knight. I also like the King’s armor as well. But I actually miss the painted motifs of the old castle line on these soldiers. Everyone having a breast plate (except the dwarfed black smith) seems to be out of place. In keeping a sense of realism the soldiers should not have the heavy plate armor, but something lighter. But you can’t win them all.

I am not a big fan of the stickers for the shield heraldry and the flags and the midget black smith is annoying. I do not like the non moveable “Jawa” feet that the smith has. However having a blacksmith as a functional support role is great. Medieval castles had more than just soldiers and knights.

I am glad I waited for the price to come down on this set since I did not want to spend the full amount on this one. Overall I give it a 6 of 10. It is above the average set, especially the Knights Kingdom II sets, but it is not quite there with the older sets.
Herb Coats

"Chimichanga!"
The Trojan Rabbit
Peasant

Post by The Trojan Rabbit »

I recently got this set from Lego SaH at a discount and there is couple of good and bad things about it. Nevertheless the price (50 USD) is a good deal. The good things in this set are a decent number of minifigures, 2 skeletons, a ghost, a dog and 2 old style gray castle parrots :D . The set also includes a large number of weapons and euro armors. The downside is that some colors of the armors could be different, for example 2 red euro armors. Whatever happened to the good old gray pieces. Another downside are stickers. The design of the castle is average. It looks good from far away but up close it reveals gaps in the walls right by the portcullis! This can be easily fixed, but Lego should have thrown in a couple of extra pieces and make the actual wall a wall. The set is not bad, although there is room for improvement.

7/10
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

Alas this set is now no longer available from Lego shop at home to Australia, I got two of these sets one at the reduced price to store unopened for prosperity.

I would rate this set together with set 8813 Battle at the Pass the best of the Knights Kingdom 2 sets, they make a good pair.

It is interesting that Blacksmith Shop set 3739 also came out at the end of the KK1 line and has proved to be quite an expensive sent now, this may be future for this set.

I think this set captures the asymmetrical castle massing of the 6090 Kings castle set very well and when I put it side by side with King Leos castle 6091/6088 you could see just how pyramidical the other Knights Kingdom castles using the same base plate had become.

The dog of war(king’s faithful dog), return of a generic majisto wizard, racked skeleton and blacksmith were very well considered by Lego.

Some negatives the set seems to lack arches in a big way and I would have liked not seeing baddies attacking the castle and more mounted knights with barding like the original 6090 and 6091/6088.

I like this set.

Mario
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

This set frustrates me, because it along with my PAB order are 9 days late shipping. When I bought Vladek's Fortress off of SAH it came almost 2 weeks later than the site informed me. Oh well, patience...must be patient.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

LORD DOOM wrote:This set frustrates me, because it along with my PAB order are 9 days late shipping. When I bought Vladek's Fortress off of SAH it came almost 2 weeks later than the site informed me. Oh well, patience...must be patient.
I too eagerly await my order. I got one for me, one for my 5 year old and I also got her a Arkham set at 50% off. I'd like for them to get here today, as they are coming back from a camping trip this eve and I'd have a harder time trying to get that box into the basement past the 5 year old. It will be her birthday soon.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
The Shadow Knight
Archer

Post by The Shadow Knight »

The designing of this castle is horrible! You can't even lift up the bridge!!!! The castle wouldn't block many enemies. Haha!
-May your winds be fair !
Blue Head
Steward

Post by Blue Head »

Oh, I like this. Brings back to me memories of me trying to save up for it when I was younger. :)
menono
Villein

Post by menono »

I just bought this set for 50% off on S@H and was wondering if you guys think I should keep it or sell it.
The Shadow Knight
Archer

Post by The Shadow Knight »

I just bought this set for 50% off on S@H and was wondering if you guys think I should keep it or sell it.

Sell it!!!
-May your winds be fair !
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

I like this castle! It's not the best design but it comes with a lot of good parts. I for one like the blue.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

Is this in old gray?
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

PunkRockCowboy wrote:Is this in old gray?
Nope. :/
PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

LORD DOOM wrote:
Then I'm not buying it. I have little dark gray, hardly any bley, and none of whatever this new gray is, it would be almost pointless to buy this if I wanted to build a big-er castle.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

PunkRockCowboy wrote:
LORD DOOM wrote:
Then I'm not buying it. I have little dark gray, hardly any bley, and none of whatever this new gray is, it would be almost pointless to buy this if I wanted to build a big-er castle.
New grey is bley.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

Count Blacktron wrote: New grey is bley.
Oo, still pointless. I do think this set has a lot of good unique faces, good blue roofing pieces, black helmets, etc. but when I added up all those parts that I want/need it's still only $17.35 worth of stuff (bricklink) and that's not worth me paying $50 for. Sad, because $50 for a castle this big is a good deal.