Castle Team: The New Role of Fan Feedback

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Lamanda2
Merchant

Post by Lamanda2 »

You must have had the time of your life. What an experience!

"All kinds of different colored pieces exist...
...The red hat and shield were actually easier to find than a green hat and dark grey shield."

Wow, It must have been awesome being able to use those pieces. As a collector of rare colored LEGO, I think I would have a hard time keeping from nabbing some. :wink:

Just to see any forestman cap now is cool. I do hope they bring that piece back into production. (Dark green would look very nice.)

Wonderful article.

~Amanda
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Lamanda]Bricks & Customs[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamanda2/]My Flickr[/url]
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

Nice...
Escape The Fate
Foot Soldier

Post by Escape The Fate »

thats so cool, did you get to keep any of the prototypes that you constructed?
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I'm curious, I noticed the old round generic shields. Do they still have the molds to make new ones, or do they belong to the ages now...?

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Thanks to all of the AFOLs who helped in this new castle theme- you really made it one to remember. I can't wait to see the new factions this year. By the way, I noticed a black short sword in your montage. Any news on a return? As well, how receptive were the designers to replacing crossbowmen with longbowmen? Thanks again for your hard work.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Lamanda2 wrote:
Wow, It must have been awesome being able to use those pieces. As a collector of rare colored LEGO, I think I would have a hard time keeping from nabbing some. :wink:

Just to see any forestman cap now is cool. I do hope they bring that piece back into production. (Dark green would look very nice.)

Wonderful article.

~Amanda
Elements in other colors are cool. What was really fun was to see the prototype elements first seen in the LEGO Monty Python movie. These include the Chicken Knight's visor and mace.
thats so cool, did you get to keep any of the prototypes that you constructed?
No, all of my prototypes were destroyed. I could build copies from memory but then I would want to improve the designs ;)
I'm curious, I noticed the old round generic shields. Do they still have the molds to make new ones, or do they belong to the ages now...?
Many old castle elements could be made again. I do not know about this shield mold. The main problem with it are the raised rings which do not allow for printing. This is why they were not used for Vikings or Skeletons.
By the way, I noticed a black short sword in your montage. Any news on a return? As well, how receptive were the designers to replacing crossbowmen with longbowmen? Thanks again for your hard work.
No there hasnt been any news on a black sword return. Even if it did, the current short swords are Poly and not ABS. Personally I think the black sword was supposed to be wooden for practice. I would like to see a new set with two squires practicing with brown wooden swords.

Some of the designers are in love with their crossbowmen. It took much convincing to include the archers. Thank you! I know how much fans appreciate archers and I hope to see more in future castle sets.

Ben
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

architect wrote:
Many old castle elements could be made again. I do not know about this shield mold. The main problem with it are the raised rings which do not allow for printing. This is why they were not used for Vikings or Skeletons.
Seems funny because the viking shields (at least the hand sized ones) weren't printed anyway... They had those lousy stickers... Though I guess stickers wouldn't fit on the raised ridges either...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Gumby
Steward

Post by Gumby »

Thanks for the article! It's awesome that LEGO is as transparent as possible, allowing fan submissions, and letting us know what goes on behind closed doors wherever and whenever possible.

Assuming that's you Ben, I love your picture with the MISB 6067, and I saw Mark Sandlin with the Galaxy Explorer (which I assume are your all-time favourites). :)
-Bryan
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

After a long (and continuing) hiatus, it is encouraging to check back and see the fruits of the ambassador program. It is neat that a sort of happy medium is being sought after and found between TLC and AFOLs. Hopefully these kinds of sets will sell as good as they look.

Please do keep up the good work. Quality craftsmanship like this turns people's heads.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
robin
Serf

Post by robin »

Thanks for posting this, Ben! It's nice to be able to finally talk about the experience, isn't it? I'm really glad that your Billund experience was great. I was just there a few weeks ago (LCP stuff). It's really an exciting place to be, isn't it? Gotta love that vault!

I'm really happy with the way castle turned out this year, and of course, there's more to come!

I'll see some of you guys this weekend at NWBC,

Robin
Brickville DesignWorks
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Nice avatar, robin :)

Anyway, thanks for doing this trip, and for posting this. It's great to know we have some influence within the actual company and that we can contribute towards the creation of greater lines; the days of the appalling Fright Knights are clearly (and thankfully) long gone.

- Matt