New BBC Robin Hood series

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Saaz
Freeman

New BBC Robin Hood series

Post by Saaz »

I haven't seen this show mentioned here, so I wanted to bring it to everyone's attention. My GF and I just finished watching season 1, and really liked it. Be warned, it's not historically accurate, and it's mostly mindless entertainment, sometimes cheesy. But it is fun. :D

It looks like BBC America is about to rerun it:
http://www.bbcamerica.com/tvschedule.jsp?showsList=195
Shadowviking
Councilor

Post by Shadowviking »

I saw a few episodes at my Grandma's, it was pretty cool. Unfortunately, I don't get BBC America where I am... :cry:
...and that's how Equestria was made!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/people/shadowviking/]flickr[/url] | [url=http://receptacle.tumblr.com/]tumblr[/url] | [url=http://tellers-tales.wikidot.com/]teller's tales[/url]
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

An excellent show from the creators of Doctor Who. Not at all historically accurate - but my kinsman Erol Flynn would be proud. I especially like the Sheriff, his dialouge is very well written & he is a great actor. My other favourite aspect is that Mulch the Miller's Son is a main character - an original character from the stories who very rarely makes it into modern interpretations.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I don't feel like repeating myself, so here's my earlier post in a different topic...

I'm sorry to rain in on things, but I watched this series when it premiered on BBC 1 and I have to say that it was frankly awful (and most people I've talked to share that opinion). It was political correctness gone mad - there were ethnic minorities everywhere*, Robin used a curved Eastern bow instead of a longbow, and Friar Tuck himself was removed for being offensive to other religions! :roll: Also, the endless 'satire' of the War on Terror through the criticism of the Crusades got very boring. And it was full of bad production; Guy wore a leather jacket, and everyone had lovely clean faces, teeth and clothes, despite living in a forest for weeks. They couldn't even get an English actor for Robin!

So yes. I really disliked this show. I'd rather take Costner's American Robin over this.

- Matt
The Shadow Knight
Archer

Post by The Shadow Knight »

It looks like a sweet show, and you could probably get some good Lego ideas.
-May your winds be fair !
evilnailman
Peasant

Post by evilnailman »

Series 2 started last Saturday.

I think it's getting more tacky than last year and not a patch on Robin: the Hooded Man from the 80's.

A bit like lego castle then!

I'll still probably watch it as there is not much fantasy stuff on TV at the mo and its better by far than reruns of Hercules

Matt
doodstormer
Bailiff

Post by doodstormer »

Sir Kohran wrote:I don't feel like repeating myself, so here's my earlier post in a different topic...

I'm sorry to rain in on things, but I watched this series when it premiered on BBC 1 and I have to say that it was frankly awful (and most people I've talked to share that opinion). It was political correctness gone mad - there were ethnic minorities everywhere*, Robin used a curved Eastern bow instead of a longbow, and Friar Tuck himself was removed for being offensive to other religions! :roll: Also, the endless 'satire' of the War on Terror through the criticism of the Crusades got very boring. And it was full of bad production; Guy wore a leather jacket, and everyone had lovely clean faces, teeth and clothes, despite living in a forest for weeks. They couldn't even get an English actor for Robin!

So yes. I really disliked this show. I'd rather take Costner's American Robin over this.

- Matt
That's what TV is, never true. you're screwed. even the news isn't really "live". You'd be having spasms if you tried to watch monty python, kingdom of heaven, possibly lotr. no, I'm not flaming you, just saying you can't be picky in the movie/TV department.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

I just wish my cable company offered the "BBC America" chanel so that I could see what all the fuss is about. :?
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Tower of Iron Will wrote:I just wish my cable company offered the "BBC America" chanel so that I could see what all the fuss is about. :?
-Tower
LOL - I agree. Although I will say that taking Friar Tuck out is going a bit too far, I don't mind some of the other things (based on what it sounds like, anyway). I do think it's a bit silly to have people of all ethnic backgrounds in a show just for the heck of being PC, but if they did it in a tactful way, then it could be really cool writing/plot in the works.

Ah well, maybe I'll find a cheap pirated DVD somewhere over here and watch it! :P
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Adam
Laborer

Post by Adam »

Tower of Iron Will wrote:I just wish my cable company offered the "BBC America" chanel so that I could see what all the fuss is about. :?
-Tower
haha I agree.
ottoatm wrote: Ah well, maybe I'll find a cheap pirated DVD somewhere over here and watch it! :P
you could just download it..
"if its stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

ottoatm wrote:
-Tower
LOL - I agree. Although I will say that taking Friar Tuck out is going a bit too far, I don't mind some of the other things (based on what it sounds like, anyway). I do think it's a bit silly to have people of all ethnic backgrounds in a show just for the heck of being PC, but if they did it in a tactful way, then it could be really cool writing/plot in the works.

Ah well, maybe I'll find a cheap pirated DVD somewhere over here and watch it! :P
The problem is that it's just pandering to the PC brigade. In the last decade or so, there's been an increasing trend in (apparently) historical movies and television - Christianity and Christian characters are either ridiculed (Kingdom of Heaven) or removed (this show), and ethnic minorities are introduced when they simply wouldn't have been there (there was a recent episode of Doctor Who where they visited Shakespeare, and black people are seen in the crowds and streets, this show did the same). None of this is addressed - apparently England in the middle ages was multicultural and atheist. It's not a matter of racism - I'm all for equality and respect towards other cultures and religions - I just don't like how our own history and religion are shunted aside in shows like this one just so that political correctnes can have its way.

- Matt
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Oh come on, surely someone has *something* to say? :roll: