Dragon Lance (movie)

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Dragon Lance (movie)

Post by Quickblade22 »

Hey! I just wanted to let any Dragon Lance fans out there know that a movie based on the first book, "Dragons of Autumn's Twilight" is coming out direct to DVD on Jan. 15th. It will be animated instead of live action which is kind of a downer, but I'm just happy that they are making it. There are a few name actors that will be doing some of the voices, namely Kiefer Sutherlund doing the voice of Raistlin. I'm not so impressed with the graphics however :( . I know that there are a few Dragon Lance fans here besides Lego Freak, Kelderic, and myself. And since this post is missing some Lego, here are links to some customs by a few AFOL's.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=201471
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=132713
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=211478
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=130692
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
boses
Man-At-Arms

Post by boses »

Thanks for the tip. I always enjoyed the Dragon Lance fantasy books. My favorite character is Tanis the traveler. I also like the Grayhawk books.
"Life is a blooming miracle, all wrapped in a package of light, and the hands of God are ever strong for doing what He might..."
---brickshelf---

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=boses
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Thanks for the info. I also enjoyed the books, as well as some of the D&D modules from Tracy & Laura Hickman. Hopefully we'll see Lord Soth as well if the sales are high enough.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
wizardgrl
Gong Farmer

Dragonlance Review

Post by wizardgrl »

Hi

I am a HUGE Dragonlance fan!!! I work in Hollywood in the entertainment business and I have a few buddies that got me a hook up to see a free screening. Other than it being animated, it pretty much follows the book, this one is a MUST SEE!!!
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Re: Dragonlance Review

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

wizardgrl wrote:Hi

I am a HUGE Dragonlance fan!!! I work in Hollywood in the entertainment business and I have a few buddies that got me a hook up to see a free screening. Other than it being animated, it pretty much follows the book, this one is a MUST SEE!!!
Welcome to the site and thanks for the review. Its good to know that at least someone from this site recommends it.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

Welcome to the site widzardglr. I'm honored that your first post was in my topic about the movie. I know for a fact that the authors were very involved with the screen play, and while the story is changed a bit, it remains close to the original story. Oh, add Pikeman, The Blue Knight, and DARKspawn to the DL fan list :wink: . Hopefully this movie will inspire a few DL MOCs. I'd love to see a custom Lord Soth, or more impressivly Lord Soth's Charge.
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
wizardgrl
Gong Farmer

Post by wizardgrl »

Quickblade22 wrote:Welcome to the site widzardglr. I'm honored that your first post was in my topic about the movie. I know for a fact that the authors were very involved with the screen play, and while the story is changed a bit, it remains close to the original story. Oh, add Pikeman, The Blue Knight, and DARKspawn to the DL fan list :wink: . Hopefully this movie will inspire a few DL MOCs. I'd love to see a custom Lord Soth, or more impressivly Lord Soth's Charge.
Thanks Quickblade22 I love the book.

I was able to get a clip of the movie from my friend. Click here check it out.

I am trying to get another on so I will lat you know.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

I watched this movie yesterday. I was pretty disappointed with it. This movie would have worked in 1984 when the books were written, but in this day and age, alot more could have been accomplished. I probably would have liked it if I were 10 again. If anyone gets a chance to read the books, deffinatly do so. Since the structures were inadaquate for any inspiration to Lego building, I suggest finding artwork related to the Dragon Lance saga, most notably the Art of Dragon Lance book or the Atlas of Krynn. I don't think the movie did the story justice.....storywise or inspirational.
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

That's really disapointing, I really enjoyed that series, although I had a sneaking suspicion it wasn't going to live up to the books. I am still going to check it out though ;)
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I might still try and borrow a copy and take a look at it.

I really enjoyed the books. I read a ton of the off shoot ones as well when I was young(er). :D

RPM
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Quickblade22 wrote:I watched this movie yesterday. I was pretty disappointed with it. This movie would have worked in 1984 when the books were written, but in this day and age, alot more could have been accomplished. I probably would have liked it if I were 10 again. If anyone gets a chance to read the books, deffinatly do so. Since the structures were inadaquate for any inspiration to Lego building, I suggest finding artwork related to the Dragon Lance saga, most notably the Art of Dragon Lance book or the Atlas of Krynn. I don't think the movie did the story justice.....storywise or inspirational.
That's a pity. When I read your post saying "direct to DVD" I saw red flags go up--thats generally the sign of a poor movie. DL came out when I was in high school. I liked the books you refernce Q22, the Atlas and the Art of. And I still have all the original modules close to hand here. My best friend and I picked up the nick names Caramon and Raistlin. We could pass for brothers (though not twins). He is a small wiry type (perhaps a bit too athletic for Raist) and I was rather large and gregarious (though a bit too large now, nearly 25 years on :^) I may seek the movie out, though if it is that bad, I may just keep my memories as they are.

BTW the tree house I showed at BrickFest '04 was originally an attempt at The Inn of the Last Home in Solace. I may just have to dust it off (quite literaly) and post some pix.

After I read the stories I realized that the Twins were the central characters--or should have been. Tanis was the weakest, he served little purpose and became baggage in the end. Nothing that he did couldn't have been shifted to another person. I like Goldmoon and Riverwind, but they get lost in the story. Of course even then I could see the Tolkien paralells that overshadow almost all post-LOTR fantasy literature; from the split story lines, to the obligatory Elves, Dwarves and hobbitesque races and everything in between. I liked the modules, and playing them took my group of friends into the best role playing we ever did. Fond memories, perhaps I'll keep them that way.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens