Weekly Set Review: Sea Serpent

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Sea Serpent

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6057 Sea Serpent.

Sea Serpent, released in 1992, is a ship for the Black Knights. It includes a mast, cloth sail, three Black Knight’s men, two Black Falcon’s men, and various accessories.

Last edited by architect on Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

I like this set alot. For one, it is the only major "ship" of any kind in the castle theme. Also, you get a great assortment of pieces, and *five* minifigs. It's design is well excecuted and gives a very castleish appearence and looks historically correct (even though it is a bit small). Another interesting aspect of this set is that it has two black falcon soldiers - an oddity as the BF line appeared to be scratched at the time perhaps another tribute to the enduring aspect of this faction. All in all, it's a nice set and worth the money. I'd give it a 9/10.
"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like heck"

KP 2011!
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

This is one of the best castle sets ever, IMO. The brick-built ship is just awesome, it comes with 5 figs(plus a special deal for awhile included another 2 fig set for free), the design is great, and the accessories are outstanding. Unfortunately, I don't own this set, but I *really* need to get one. I give it a 9.5/10. This would make a GREAT Legend. :D

Cm2
st1920
Peasant

Post by st1920 »

I really like this set. It has a nice number of figs and the ship looks great as well. I give a 10/10 for this set. This would indeed be a great legend. :D
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I love this set! Never owned it, but that never stopped me. It is great: a good design, a great assortment of weapons, shields, etc., as well as three BK soldiers (always awesome), and two BFs (again, always awesome)!

Figs: 9.5/10
Parts: 9/10
Design: 8/10 then, 10/10 now.

Overall: 9.25/10 :!: :!: :!:
Taki
Villein

Post by Taki »

Best ship! I own two of them and love every part. The sail is great and the blue towertops. I think the 6-wide scale is better then the 4-wide. More 'realistic'.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

The Sea Serpent is the largest ship in the Castle line. It makes a great port raider or coastal craft, and comes packed to the gunnels with minifigs. It has a distinctly medieval look with its crennelated fore and aft castles, single sail, and steering oars. Alas that there is no true cog, but this was a pleasant and unique set for the Castle line that works very well for its size. It is a set that I would love to see reproduced as a Legend.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I bought two of these sets. The first one I had I turned into a rowed galley. Bye the time I had the second I use both to make a 2-hulled catamaran type warship.

I still have the sails to this day. I think this ships type is called a Caravel or something like that.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Well, I can only judge this set from the pictures I used to go over and over in the catalogues as a kid, but I like the designe and so on, also it has many minifigs wich is a plus.

The only problem I can see is that it never really got an explanation when it came, like why would the Black Riders need a ship? Do the Dragon Masters have a port somewhere or what?

Sure that other lines before them had ships, but I allways got the impression that there was no coastline what so ever in LEGOLAND :wink:

Nice set though, like most things Lego did those years.
I'm back, and so is Castle!
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I've never seen this set before, but it looks awesome. I once had a little row boat with a dragon head that came in a value pack, but this one is much nicer. It's much larger and looks more balanced, and the minifigs are great.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

I bought 6057 about 3 years ago. It's got a nice shape and it's built not from the big ships parts like most of the pirates. As you all said it's the biggest castle ship set. It does not include alot of parts though. It's got a unique sail with a lovely dragin symbol on it. 5 minifigs that 2 from from them are BF - and for one brief moment they even seems to be in peace - which of course contradict the attack from 6059 set. Still http://library.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/g ... cgi?i=6020 it looks to me like in this picture the Black Knights are about to throw the BF's to the sea.

It's got a Castle Turret in blue which is unique (the only set who had them). 5 minifigs for the set is quite plenty.

Overall the set looks cool but it's not a top10 set and wouldn't be my first choice for a LEGEND.

Overall 9/10
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Of the "castle" boats this one was definitely my favorite. I had 3 of these and enjoyed using them as troop transports for night time raids. The sail as others have said was nicely designed and the boat itself was put together fairly well. The minifigs and the fact we once again had a few Black Falcons made this one of the best small sets of that year. 9/10 when it came out and 11/10 compared to now. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

I must have been judgement impared when I had the chance to get this set back when I was 5, as I didn't. I would have loved to have one looking back now, A bad decision on my part. 10/10 :D
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

If only I bought LEGO during the golden age... It seems we're going through a dark age now and if that set peeked it's little prow out of a shelf anywhere now it would be gone before you could say Megablocks. Any set with five castle minifigs and two of them black falcons is definately 1,000,000,000,000,000 out of 10 compared to todays standards. you know what, i thing we should have some computer geek write up a program to e-mail lego every five minutes demanding that they bring back old sets... well, like Theoden said, alas that these evil days should be mine. :(
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

One of my all time favorites. Wish I would have bought more than one. But it came out at a time when buying more than one seemed silly. 5 figures, which is a nice number for such a small set. And I'm a sucker for boats.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]