Weekly Set Review: Dungeon

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

I think this set is ok. I don't have it (I went through a period of Lego dormancy starting when the fright knights came out and ending last year :( . You could call it my Dark Age, but some might say I'm too young to have had one).

If I saw it in stores now, I'd buy it for the figs (the armor is a plus :) ). As a set, the design isn't great. I'd give it a 6/10 for the parts because I don't have the armor.

-The Josh
Kozai13
Peasant

Post by Kozai13 »

Fun little set, I like it a lot. Hard to find though.
Matt

Check out my brickshelf account:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Matman13

And my brickset profile:
http://www.brickset.com/profile/default.aspx?user=Matman13
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Chrome baseplate wasn't all that special (at the time this set was released), so to encourge people to buy it anyway, they included a nice figure, a dark blue gem and some great parts.

I like this set a lot, except for that turret piece.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Athos wrote:Chrome baseplate wasn't all that special (at the time this set was released), so to encourge people to buy it anyway, they included a nice figure, a dark blue gem and some great parts.

I like this set a lot, except for that turret piece.

Steve
What?

Chrome breastplate you mean, only available at retail in a few of the last line of Pirate theme sets (Conquistador armor) before this set was minted. This was part of a limited release of four impulse sets to compliement and promote the Knights' Kingdom sets under the good lion heraldry of King Leo. This particular set was likely very popular along with the other three because the figures included were uncommon in lower priced sets. I recall scouting for them long and eventually finding them at Ralph's grocery chains and KB Toy stores for $4.99 each. Quite a bargain and many useful pieces. The turret wall piece was a new introduction to the parts field, and is no more difficult to use than a standard castle wall section.

Even more pricey than the armor or torso may be the knight's printed leather armor legs. 8)

Also worth noting is that this set can be used to fill a gap in the wall of King Leo's Castle 6091/6098 when built as shown.
Last edited by Count Blacktron on Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

One of my all time favorite sets.

Containing Sir John of Mayne and Benjamin Bones

I always considered this set more of a scaled down variant of 6094 Guarded Treasury:

http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/6094.html

Sir John of Mayne who never looked better than in this set, being a good representation of a man at arms of the King, the fabled treasure of the lions not being stored under the king’s throne but guarded by him and Benjamin Bones.

The set was very difficult to find in Sydney Australia it was not carried by any major department store and I needed to resort to brick link to purchase this set.

edited added info

The 4817 4 x 12 Green Brick base can fit between the rear columns of King Leos castle to substitute for the cloth sail:

http://www.peeron.com/scans/6091-1/14/?id=2875

In the 2000 Knights Kingdom Medieval Mischief and Mayhem comic that was releases as part of this theme, King Leo saids:

We’ll build a new hiding place for my gold and emeralds – plus lots of new traps

Benjamin Bones will be our last line of defense

The obvious modularity of this theme is that the 8 x 8 Green Brick bases can be moved around and the two guarded treasury 8 x 8 Green Brick bases can substitute for other castle pieces :

http://www.peeron.com/scans/6091-1/47/?id=2875

Mario
Last edited by MarioDAlessio on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

Love this set :D except the design and the giant ugly tower piece :x
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

Also worth noting is that this set can be used to fill a gap in the wall of King Leo's Castle 6091/6098 when built as shown.
Hmmm... I didnt notice that. It is an interesting thought of modularity. It would be nice if Lego released some sets (below $10) which could be add-ons for the Kings Castle Siege. I put one of my new impulse sets in there, an extra armory come in handy in such a large castle.

As far as this set goes... well... I dont have one, but if made now I would probably buy it. The fig is nice (I am not fan of skeletons though) and the other parts could be worked into something or other. I suppose if you are a kid it can be a decent stand alone. I remember set like the Black Monarchs Ghost being on their own out in the forest of my kingdom when I was young... this could substitute for some form of usefull ruins or a strategic waypoint for an army in the wilderness. It is nice because it leaves enough to the imagination of the child. 7/10
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Good set for figures and parts. Not sure if I have any or had the chance to buy it. 8/10
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

I think that I would have picked up this set as a kid. I always picked up small sets. Whereas with older sets I would've bought three or four (or more!); with this set I still would have only bought one. Just not that great, and not such a good price if you're shooting for minifigs.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
Brikbud
Serf

Post by Brikbud »

The design of this set is terrible, but it includes one of my favorite minifigs.
The silver breastplate is also a plus. Overall 4/10 :mrgreen:
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

Once, Lord Doom stumbled upon a strange little dungeon that just kind of stood alone and apart from any structure and looked like a little castle tower and had and a completely non-functional dungeon gate that was weak and yet somehow it could still keep a skelly in probably because he was completely dead, but this random Royal Knight somehow felt it necessary to guard the cell in case some day Lord Doom might come walking along and since he just had the Royal Knight engaged him in battle and was stricken down to the ground.

Overall Lord Doom gives this set a 4 out of 5, because that's how many gems he walked away with.

EDIT - Love the minifig though, wish we had more like it.
Invaderjes
Peasant

Post by Invaderjes »

On it's own, it does seem like a strange and silly little set. But what a great collection of parts! I'd buy at least two of 'em. And by two, I mean six- for the breastplates alone.
darkstarsk8er327
Villein

Post by darkstarsk8er327 »

lol its kinda kool and the ghost is a great minifig :lol:
gormadoc1
Artisan

Re: Weekly Set Review: Dungeon

Post by gormadoc1 »

The name speaks for itself, obviousley its a dungeon. I just love the minifig in this set but the actual jail thing could have come with one of those barred doors, so for this reason I'll give it 8/10 :) .

...gormadoc1
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.