Best Castles in the WORLD

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Best Castles in the WORLD

Post by Dragon Master »

Hey CC guys!

Ever wonder which castles in the world were the BEST? I know I sure have! I was thinking, why don't we, the CCC make a poll if the best castles. Here is how is can be run.

There will be two categories:

Most Defendable

and

Most Beautiful

You nomonate a castle for each category, and must give good reasons to support this.

After entries are suggested there will be a poll for the best castles of all time!

-DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

hmmmmmm.....interesting......you could put this exact same topic in MOC's and get more interesting responces.....anyway, I have to go with Yore, in scottland, for most beautiful........peace out.
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Barbapple wrote:hmmmmmm.....interesting......you could put this exact same topic in MOC's and get more interesting responces.....anyway, I have to go with Yore, in scottland, for most beautiful........peace out.
Reasons! Suggestion eliminated!

:twisted:
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

My favorite is Gaillard built by Richard the Lionheart. But that castle surrendered. All fixed fortifications are successful if they are not conquored and destroyed. My vote would go to the walls of Constantinople which stood until cannon destroyed parts of it in the 15th century.

Ben E.

btw, this topic is in the right section, mocs is not the correct area for this topic
cnelson
Laborer

Post by cnelson »

The prototypical "fairy tale" castle is Neuschwanstein in Germany. It's graceful and in beautiful terrain. Its date of building (19th C.) disqualifies it in my mind from being a true castle, but it's a remarkable site nonetheless.

Neuschwanstein: http://www.germanworld.com/neu.htm

I've always admired the Edwardian castles--Harlech, Conwy, Caernarfon, Beaumaris--in Wales, built in the late 13th C. to secure British rule. These were designed by Master James of St. George, who popularized concentric and symmetrical designs.

Caernarfon is probably the most magnificent castle, with its banded colors of stone and angular towers said to be patterned after Constantinople. Its Eagle Tower is awe-inspiring--hexagonal construction with three small turrets.

Caernarfon: http://www.cadw.wales.gov.uk/cadw/sites/site018.html

Beaumaris is probably the most perfectly planned and executed concentric castle (though never finished). Its concentric layout, strong gates, and moat are extremely defensible, and a dock and gunner's walk allow for restocking by ocean. If I were a medieval lord looking to beat back attackers, I'd pick Beaumaris.

Beaumaris: http://www.cadw.wales.gov.uk/cadw/sites/site004.html
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I don't know enough about CASTLES, but I know that the walls of Constantinople made it nearly impregnable. It was only taken by the Crusaders, the Turks, and by various internal strife.

For beauty one has almost got to go with Neuschwanstein, in Bavaria. Not a defendable, authentically medieval castle, but definately near the top for looks.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

As for the best defendable castle I go with the Castello del Monte in Italy, built in an unique style that has no weak points:

The best loooking castles in my opinion (and in Germany) are Burg Eltz and the Wartburg:

Eltz:

Wartburg:

The Wartburg is also quite well defendable.

Neuschwanstein is beautiful but it is not a medieval castle.

Bye
Jojo