Weekly Set Review: Royal King's Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

PunkRockCowboy wrote:
Count Blacktron wrote: New grey is bley.
Oo, still pointless. I do think this set has a lot of good unique faces, good blue roofing pieces, black helmets, etc. but when I added up all those parts that I want/need it's still only $17.35 worth of stuff (bricklink) and that's not worth me paying $50 for. Sad, because $50 for a castle this big is a good deal.
$35 for the viking fortress is a better deal
pwnage
PunkRockCowboy
Apprentice

Post by PunkRockCowboy »

Emperor James wrote:
PunkRockCowboy wrote:
Count Blacktron wrote: New grey is bley.
Oo, still pointless. I do think this set has a lot of good unique faces, good blue roofing pieces, black helmets, etc. but when I added up all those parts that I want/need it's still only $17.35 worth of stuff (bricklink) and that's not worth me paying $50 for. Sad, because $50 for a castle this big is a good deal.
$35 for the viking fortress is a better deal
Yeah, the Viking Fortress rocks, I already have one of those though, and I'm mainly into building castles, I don't need so many brown wall pieces, although the set looks really awesome on display in my room.
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

I retract what I said... for some reason I thought this was the one from the mid nineties. The only think I like about it is the blacksmith. Not worth the money, even on sale it's too much!
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
King of the West
emoticon patrol

Post by King of the West »

I got this set soon after it came out.It was on the top of Christmas list. Why, you may ask? It is modeled after the KK1 castle that I had always wanted to get as a young child. This model was also, at the time, one of the best castle sets available.
10/10
I am the Ruler of The Western Lands. All shall bow before me!
man at ye old well
Foot Soldier

Post by man at ye old well »

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I recently bought this set for 90$ Can. Not the best price but still cheaper then 150$. Anyways on to the review.

This is my 2nd large castle set. I had 4 major problems with this set. The big burps, and wall pieces, the large gaps, the bull knight shield in the black smith shop, and the ghost has yellow hands.

Other then that this set was pretty good. I really like it. I'll give it an 7.5/10.

Right after I built it I went about making mods to it to improve the castle. This is the only set I have ever made mods to. This castle is ok but not as good as the 80's castles or the new Crownie castle.

,Old Weller
Drop the LEGO and nobody gets hurt!
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=ye-old-well]My Brickshelf[/url] [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/125743370@N02/]My Flickr[/url]
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

I have found that BURPs don't do much for a construction in numbers like we normally get in sets. They really show magnificence in a MOC when there are dozens of them. You can create a nice hollowd out mountain or dungeon for your quest tales when you have enough BURPs. Mainly this castle, and others, to me are all viewed as parts packs due to their overall incompleteness as a proper fortress. This baseplate in this set is by far the most useless as the BURP-ish humps are built right into it with the furrow down the middle. I think I only ever really liked this baseplate in the Adventurers Amazon ruins playset (with the river in the center). I would have prefered if LEGO had saved this baseplate mold for the scrap-heap and just piled BURPs on a 32x32 green joined to a 32x16 and placed the main castle on top. There would have been more uses if constructed that way IMHO.
Jibbajaba
Laborer

Post by Jibbajaba »

If anyone here is into Lego trains, tracks fit perfectly down the center canyon of that raised baseplate. I used it to make this small mountain with a tunnel through the center:

http://www.jibbajaba.com/?p=12

Chris
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

Okay, it has the big ugly wall pieces, but it's better than the original with those black prefab wall pieces. I actually like those, I think.
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
Ben the lego king
Apprentice

Post by Ben the lego king »

I do not like it for $100
but would you guys buy it for $50 (its sale price) i would
KKI is the best KKI is the best
gormadoc1
Artisan

Re: Weekly Set Review: Royal King's Castle

Post by gormadoc1 »

In my opinion this set brought the end to the golden age of lego castle and it completley shut the door to sets before the millenium. I thought it was quite a good all round big set. It had towers, horses, minifigs (I liked the wizard), Accesories etc it is realy good. There is one thing though, the blacksmith is meant to be a dwarf but when I first got this set I thought it was a child and that the blacksmith was not included; turns out they didnt use the beards they do now. Also I dont know why the wizard didnt have any details on his torso like majisto and a wand but other than that I like the wizard. I think this set is wonderful and the customiseaton possibillities are endless. Truly a great set. :D Also the price was a little high but I like the set.
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
Tyranus
Serf

Re: Weekly Set Review: Royal King's Castle

Post by Tyranus »

I never owned this, but I have some impressions.

I think it's trying to sort of emulate the Royal Knight's Castle set from 1995, but it doesn't work out.
It doesn't have as much of a creative design and it seems like a big square, or chunk of thick pieces. The colors don't really match up as well and it has none of the charm of the older set. It's kind of in that awkward period between the classic sort of stuff and the verging on kid's stuff. Other than the minifigs, which look pretty good, this set doesn't seem like much.

Maybe 6/10
When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth -- George Bernard Shaw