So what do you guys use...

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
The Crusader
Freeman

So what do you guys use...

Post by The Crusader »

I am a graphic artist and am interessted in making a few custom made torso designs. Is there any particular paper or adhesive you use for such a thing? Also is anyone know a stud dimensions on a Lego mini-fig head, that would be the awesomeness
Roaglaan
Archer

Post by Roaglaan »

I use waterslide decal paper wich you can get at afew diff places, micromark sells both inkjet and laser sheets. As for the stud demensions of the minifig head, not sure what you want but minifig customization network has templates you can download.

Roag
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/26056914@N03/]My Flickr[/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Roaglaan]My Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=roaglaan]Roaglaans Customs[/url]
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

Hey Crusader! Here is a snip of what I wrote in another article.
I think playability has to do with how Lego-y you want your stuff to look, as oppossed to what type of material you use. I personally have no experience with water-slide decals. I hear that they are the best for making the stickers seem official. They are also the hardest and most expensive to use. I have used sticker paper in the past. I'm not too fond of how the ink manages to chip and the edges can lift and bend. The method I use is to print it on regular paper. Use packing tape to cover it and scissors to cut the edges. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros:
Cheaper
Protects the decal
Gives it a shiny surface
Keeps from damaging the original print

Cons
If you cut the tape wrong, it looks bad on your custom
you still have sticky substance on the minifig

I hope this helps
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Luís
Steward

Post by Luís »

Hi Crusader. I use the same method as QuickBlade, because of the advantages he wrote. As for minifig head dimensions, the neck is 5mm in diametter, the whole head is 1.2cm tall (including stud, not including the stud it's 9mm and not including stud and "neck part" it's 7mm) The top is about 1.2cm in diametter. The stud itself is about 4mm in diametter. Hope it helps.

And BTW QB, another con is that if you want to use an armour, beard, etc. it will be tougher to fit and putting it in and out will damage the sticker.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/7sword7/]Shelved bricks(???)[/url]
You know you're a good person when you see megablocks and have to do things you would rather not.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

I posted in another thread, but you can use plain paper, and glue it on with a glue stick.
I am a huge fan of this if you don't want something permanent. If you do want a "collectible" (something you don't play with all the freakin time) then go with this method. If you want to put it on a shelf and say "gee, that's pretty!" then, use the decals. :D

Freak
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

I prefer quality looking torsos, so here is my process

I have been using waterslide decals for a few years now, and found that even spraying them once or twice, they will still bleed or fade (this is all using an inkjet printer, laser printers are different). Here is my process:

1) print a full sheet of decals, printing at least two of each design in case you mess one up.

2) let it sit for half an hour to let the ink dry a bit.

3) Spray with Krylon Crystal Clear (available at Michael's or Walmart). Wait 30 minutes

4) Repeat step three two more times (three in total)

5) Spray with Krylon Preserve It! (available at Michael's or Walmart). Wait 30 minutes

6) Repeat Step 5 one more time. Let dry for 2 hours.

Now your decals are completely sealed and will not run, bleed, or fade. They are also protected from UV rays.

After I place the decals, I use a softening solution, then spray the finished minifigure with three coats of minwax lacquer spray (available at Home Depot or Walmart) and the minifigure is very well protected. I have used this technique for minifigures I sold on Ebay and have not had any complaints about the quality.

If you want to see some examples check out my stuff at bauxdesign.com
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

It's ridiculous how many customized minifigs I have just laying around my house. I've been doing it since I got into the hobby some years ago, and my method's always been the same. Waterslide decals - which are printed for me alternately by either Will of BrickArms (as a favour, he doesn't sell decals), or by Kam of FineClonier.

Both use the same type of printer, so the resultant decal is pretty much the same. From there, I apply the decal and let it set for 24 hours before I do anything with it. After that, I apply a coat of 'Diamond' clear nail polish (which is the strongest nail protector out there). Let that dry for about 6 hours or more and apply a second coat.

After the second coat dries, I apply a coat of Testor's Dullcote to get rid of the severe gloss caused by the nail polish.

Personally, I think the result is fantastic and official-looking. Not only that, but even with the very rough treatment my minifigs suffer through, I have never ended up with a custom minifig being damaged in any way. I've actually -tried- to scrape a decal off with my fingernail and it just wasn't happening. So that's the process I'd suggest for anyone wanting 'playworthy' custom minifigs.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar