Weekly Set Review: Black Knight

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Black Knight

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6009 Black Knight.

Black Knight, a small Black Knight’s set, was released in 1992. This small set includes a fully armored knight, horse, weapons rack, and various weapons.

Last edited by architect on Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

A very useful set. I wish I had bought more when it was available.

What would make this set even better would be if the face was random, so that unique armies could be created.
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Bricksidge:
What would make this set even better would be if the face was random, so that unique armies could be created.
To my knowledge the only faces available at the time were that one, the smile, the wolf pack beard man, and eye patch man, and a few pirate faces.

Maybe the set would have faired better coming with the good ole :)

Anyway....

Great set! Recently Legofreak and I traded for this set. I never previoulsly owned it. I liked the set so much I bought one on BL soon after the trade. for playability, there is little that could be done with only that set. The alternative models are amusing...

But, I think the purspose of the set was an army builder. And it is a great one. A fine kinght, armor, and a horse, and a small cache of weapons. What more could you ask for?

The set is great for creationg a uniform cavalry. For a more unique army like Bricksidge said, maybe different faces and plumes could have been included. But the knight it is far better than having a cavalry of "King Leo" :P

I wish I was older when this was released, there is nothing like it.

10/10 for the size and price.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

I always liked this set. I think that as a army builder you would be hard pressed to find a better set. I was fortunate enough to get several of these Knights when they were relesed.
a quick rundown;
1.) a horse
A cheap quick way to mount your army
2.) the fully armored Knight
Always good. I liked the visor and the huge shield. (this was one of the first sets I had with that shield.)
3.) two swords, Yes thats right, not one but TWO swords. And ofcourse it had the sadle that could hold both.
4.) Lance and crossbow. Now this was a heavily armed Knight.

All in all, it was a great set that was a tremendous help to my collection.

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Yes, A classic set and one of the reasons I have such a large cavalry. The weapons to fig ratio as mentioned was excellent and those armor pieces made the set more than worth the 2.99CDN I paid for the ones I bought. That is roughly 2.00US, we have rarely seen a set with such value, even with the lack of bricks I loved this set. 10/10.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

Hindsight is 20/20. When this set first came out, I was just starting my dark ages, and I thought that it was overpriced. Typically you would pay $1.00 per minifig at the time, and this was much more! I only purchased one..... I figured there would be plenty of chances to get these standard pieces....

:oops:

Little did I know this would be the best and cheapest way to collect the excellent armour. Now I'm reduced to purchasing the platemail on Bricklink and eBay.... at much higher prices!

I would purchase quite a few of these sets if Lego ever releases this again or creates something similar!
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

I totally agree with redaxe - If Lego ever does release something like this again I will buy it by the sackfull.
I bought a lot of these when they came out, but not near as many as I would have liked. Like many others I assumed there would be plenty of time... :oops:

Oh well - still a fantastic set! The armor was/is unbeatable. And I can't get enough of the visored helm. That rocks!

Freak
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I just got this set about a month ago. I really like the piece selection. This is a well armored knight!

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

It wouldn't have hurt if there were a quiver in this set. I hate when there is a bow and no quiver, it means less archers :P This set would have been nice too if it included another knight. Like in the Knig Leo set. It could be his Squire or something, and he could use the other weapons.

DM

P.S. LEGO, make a similar set to this, I guarantee the AFOL will buy legions upon legions of these.
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This is a nice set. It was released in the year when TLC invented the oval shield, so the first thing I had to buy when I saw it in the 1992-catalogue was this set. It was also the first set I had with a 2-clip saddle. And the second clip was absolutelly necessary to carry two swords, crossbow, lance and shield at once. That's only possible by combining shield and lance in one hand. I almost broke the handle of the shield at the first attempt because the hand protector of the lance is too wide. I was lucky though...

Bye
Jojo

"100"
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Hello!

This is a nice set. It was released in the year when TLC invented the oval shield, so the first thing I had to buy when I saw it in the 1992-catalogue was this set. It was also the first set I had with a 2-clip saddle. And the second clip was absolutelly necessary to carry two swords, crossbow, lance and shield at once. That's only possible by combining shield and lance in one hand. I almost broke the handle of the shield at the first attempt because the hand protector of the lance is too wide. I was lucky though...
Brillian idea. I'm going to go make some of those "Super knights!" Isn't there a term for a heavily armed knight?

Sorry, this is my 3rd post already! I really love this little set!

DM
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Sorry for another post, but try this. Put one of the swords clipped blade up on the horse. The sheild fits safely and nicely on it. You also could attach the sheild on the clip first and slide the sword through the handle horizontally, but you have to angle the sheild so the sword won't slip out.

DM
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

This is the only LEGO set I purchased in 1992 and it is also the last LEGO set I purchased before leaving the hobby for 10 years.

If I remember correctly, 1992 is also the year that had the Wolfpack sets, Majisto's Tower, and some other good sets. In fact, I believe 1992 was the last year that had any castle sets that are above average in quality. It's rather a shame that the only LEGO set I purchased was the smallest and simplest one.

I was drawn to this set by the parts. It includes a knight with a visor helmet, armor, one of the new (at the time) shields, plenty of weapons, and it was my first castle figure that didn't have the standard smiley face. I believe it cost me $2.49. I did think it was expensive for what I got, but if I saw it on the shelf now, I'd buy at least four immediately, and probably go back for more later.

I bought it and thought "this would be a great set to buy multiples of". Unfortunately, I didn't have too much money back then and I also developed this "shyness" about buying LEGO because I was 15 years old and was embarrassed to take LEGO to the checkout counter. *sigh* Foolish youth I was.

Anyway, great set. However, maybe a knight like this would be better if it was part of a minifig pack?
Christopher McCleerey
Peasant

Post by Christopher McCleerey »

Ya, I had drifted away from LEGO CASTLE at about this time too. Too bad for me, it looks like an awsome set for quickly bulding armies. I actualy like that minifig face. Makes me think "viking" somehow.

C
A cartographer's end:
"Here be dragons!"
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

One word....."ARMOUR"!!! I bought 5 and as many others have stated, in hindsight I would have got more. :D
Troy T. Moore