Tower Rock

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
DARKspawn
Lord

Tower Rock

Post by DARKspawn »

Hey guys :)

I have been hard at work at my latest project for weeks now, I think the hardest part was trying to get a decent photo. 3 feet tall, too many elements to estimate, and one huge mess throughout my house over the past two months. Finally it has all come together.

More of a circus act than a creation, this MOC was a massive learning process, I now have a inkling of the frustration that the LEGO model makers must go through. No glue was used in this model, it is 100% pure LEGO.

Hope you enjoy :D
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Re: Tower Rock

Post by LORD DOOM »

Allow me to have the honor of being the first to commend you on this remarkable feat of of Lego artistry Aaron my friend. I have always been impressed by your work since I first saw your first towerhouse, but until now, I have never been so impressed. You really are a master builder! You have always defied the limitations imposed by Lego and now you defy the limitations imposed by gravity itself. Remarkable. 8)

Keep it real and keep on building mate!
Seikfreid
Journeyman

Post by Seikfreid »

It must be the name! :wink: Amazing job! It's remarkable that you were able to balance this moc without ANY glue! The supports you used even go pretty well with the fortress, so they don't really take anything away from the overall effect.
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

Post by Blue Moon Knight »

Wow! This is great! I wish I had the pieces to build something like this! This reminds me of the second dungeon in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Or at least the bridge does.
To those who are about to Lego: toss me a few bricks.
WhiteFang
Villein

Post by WhiteFang »

Darkspawn, this moc is very massive in scale and magnificent in size. It's really very impressive that you are to hold off the entire tower with these pillars supporting the weight, without the use of glue. I cannot imagine how much planning is actually involved with the use of various elements and sections that integrate as one complete creation. Outstanding piece of work. It's nice to see your castle mocs again. :)
[url=http://www.classic-town.net/]Classic Town.net[/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=whitefang]My Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=WhiteFang]My BrickLink Store[/url]
David Simmons
Serf

Post by David Simmons »

Superb! :shock: I love all the little scenes taking place, especially around the rock itself. They add so much depth and character because of how well they capture a moment in time. I'm working on that right now with a *whisper on* space *whisper off* diorama. It's very challenging!

Dave S.
"There is no end, no beginning. There is only the infinite passion of life." -Federico Fellini
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

WOW :twitch: Amazing!

I only wish I could see it in person. A great MOC. I love the great tower. Your huge telescope is very well done as well. I love all the little details, small cliffs, plant life and action going on. The lady flying the orc with the key is priceless. The neat wizard duel on the tower looks good as well.

Wow

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

I've missed your building, Aaron! There's a lot to make up for it here though. While the towers look great the thing that stands out is the rock itself, especially with all the vegetation, greenery and details like this place for example, and this entrance thingy is gorgeous as well (somewhat grainy pic aside ;)). Last but not least, there's a lot of good action going on, this part has to be my favourite.

Great stuff, and keep 'em coming!

(Oh yea, I'm impressed by the feat of balance as well, however I've always been more interested in aestethics than reality ;))
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Evil Ben
Freeman

Post by Evil Ben »

Yay! Another DARKspawn castle! That's made my day. :D

All the little details, and the rock, are great, and I cannot imagine the complexity of the engineering needed to get it to stay upright and together, but what I actually like the best about this is the layout and angling of the walls of the citadel itself. To me it looks close to the spirit of those late-12th-century circular keeps like Orford and Conisbrough, and that isn't an easy thing to achieve in Lego. A model and an inspiration, as always.
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

Yea,.....ROCK ON!!It's somewhat reminicent of the little micro castle you did for RH's contest a few years ago. I love all the little details and of course everything everyone else mentioned. Glad to see ya building again. All the creativity in this MOC has stolen any creativity I could use to describe what I like :tasty: Awesome Job.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Lewa Rocks
Steward

Post by Lewa Rocks »

This is really cool! The castle not really my preferred style but I still like it! The rock is very well done!
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

I completely concur - this is very impressive, and I love all the little wizards doing wizardy things all around it. I also quite like the way you've captured the ramshackleness of the wooden roof.
SlyOwl
Apprentice

Post by SlyOwl »

Firstly, great job, as always :D
I love the grassy overhangs - very inspirational, and the scrappy foliage. The big-cone-little-cone is something I've tried before, but failed at - congrats!
It's all built upside-down, too, which must have been super-confusing!
And then there's the various wizards, doing their things (is there some Wizard of Oz influence there?) I can't help but think of the 5 Middle Earth wizards.
The recurring observatory sub-theme is neat, although one wonders how long it will be before it gets exhausted, especially with Rocko at it too...

My only criticism would have to be the dragon. Now, it's a marvellous build, but when up against the very detailed landscape, it kinda gets lost. It may be just that I'm colour blind, and it stands out completely fine for everyone else :lol:
legokilt
Bailiff

Post by legokilt »

Man, that is awesome! I love the detailing on the castle and rock, but especially the actions of the different wizards. The various types of activities are great. I especially like the telescopes, wizard-scientists. My only criticism is the dragon looks too blocky, but its articulation is great.
Lego helps make history fun!
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

I can't think of a word to describe this, Aaron. Awesome won't do, neither will excellent or perfect.
You've really outdone yourself, again!
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]