Weekly Set Review: Dungeon Hunters

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Dungeon Hunters

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6042 Dungeon Hunters.

Dungeon Hunters, released in 1990, is a paddy wagon for the Crusaders. It comes with an armored knight, a driver, a forestman prisoner, and accessories.

Last edited by architect on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

This is a fantastic set! You get a Euro armored fig, horse, cart, forestmen, and a crusader. A really awesome set. 9.9/10.(Could have used another shield.)
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
Duke_Dave
Reeve

Post by Duke_Dave »

Hey I think this looks like a great set. However, I have never owned it. But it looks great, 1 fully outfitted knight is the best part. :lol: the wagon +2soilders+2 horses= A great set
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

This a nice set, all the things the other pepole have said, plus four brown weels :) 9/10.
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Like so many Castle sets (most of the them actually), this is an awesome set.

One of the three (I believe) Euro -armoured Crusader knights, comes with two horses, a soldier, a Forestman. Works out to a great set.

Parts: 7.5/10 Nothing spectacular
Playability: 9/10
Figs/Accessories: 9/10 (Euro armour, you know)
Design (then): 7.5/10
Design (now): 8/10
Nostalgia: 8/10

Overall score: 8.17/10 (B+)

EDITED TO ACCOMODATE NEWER CRITERIA
Last edited by Formendacil on Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I really liked this one when it came out. Again, I wish I had more money when I was younger because I only have one of these.

I loved that it came with a forestman, which is my favorite faction. A fully armored crusader and a cart to go with it. Excellent stuff all around.

As usual, I'm not one for handing out numerical ratings, but this is a great set. Nothing legendary, but, for it's size and purpose, it did it's part well.

Oh, I know what it is missing... There isn't a back-story involving knights who shoot lightning out of their swords... how can a castle set be complete without that?
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Everyone else has pointed out what makes this a great little set and it certainly is a great little set. But when I look at that poor white horse struggling to pull the big heavy wagon, all I can think is ouch. The other cart in this size 6055 Prisoner Convoy had four horses pulling the cart. This cart should have had at least two horses pulling the cart. That said, it is still a great set and I give it a 9/10 then and a 15/10 compared to sets today.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

DIE CRUSADERS! :twisted:

Poor Forestman, poor, poor Forestman... :cry:

:wink:

Anyway, I think I might have this set, but I am not sure...it looks really good from what I can tell from the picture. Two horses, one good guy, two bad guys (bias, I know :D ), euro armor and brown wheels. The other parts are nothing outstand, but very usable.

8/10 back then, 11/10 now a days with KK2.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

I bought this set in 1990 only a few monthes after it came out to the stores. It was the biggest wagon after 6055. One point that Will mantioned that it could have used another horse to pull it. Basiclly the set design is nice, I was very fond of the jail doors back then. When I bought it I was dispointed because a little misunderstanding which that I thought it had a crossbow and of course it didn't (I know crossbow nowadays are something pretty common but it was 1990 - the year they invented them and I didn't have any). The knight is great of course and another forestman can always come in handy although it's really the common one. Overall it looks good. I have one of this sets from 1990 and hopefully I'll get my 2nd one in about 2 weeks :D

Overall score 9/10.
Snoopy
Archer

Post by Snoopy »

I have this set! It's great. The cart is especially well-designed.
Check out my LEGO Movies at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=88753 !
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

As has already been pointed out, great set! I still use it in it's original form as a prisoner transport. *sigh* those were the days my friends, those were the days...
Troy T. Moore
kajo163
Journeyman

Post by kajo163 »

Hey this looks really good, but why on earth is it called dungeon hunters??
I'm back, and so is Castle!
DawnCrusader
Serf

Post by DawnCrusader »

This set is... well everyone already said it! :D
I wish I had at least a Knight like that... it's the perfect Lion / Crusader Knight in my opinion!

I still couldn't understand why would the seemingly good Crusaders wage war against the seemingly good Forestmen :/
"Strength and Honor"
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

This is a great set 10/10. It has three great deals, two horses, the "knight", the wheels, everything. great set. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hey this looks really good, but why on earth is it called dungeon hunters
It is called dungeon hunters because the knight and cart driver are hunting for outlaws to place in the king's dungeon.

My review:

Dungeon Hunters is great because of the nice basic color scheme, good cart design, and great minifigures. Although the red "robin hood" figure is in almost every set with a forestman. Perhaps a rarer forest fig would have been nice.

Ben E.