Picture of my army

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Torment
Villein

Picture of my army

Post by Torment »

I would just like to show my nice sized army just over 100 men. While it is a long way from huge. I am pleased with it.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/curt6 ... 0_0799.jpg comments and criticism are welcome!
Thanks for looking!!
Yes, its a crownie army...
EDIT: 1. Where do I put something like this, rather than Moc section?
2. When someone talks about customizing because they are all stock figures, Are they just talking about swapping their heads?
THANKS
Last edited by Torment on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Re: Picture of my army

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Torment wrote: comments and criticism are welcome!
Well seeing as you invited us....
You do have a nice army there but is it worthy of posting and making me/us look? They are, after all, stock crownies. This looks just like my army and about the same size too. Please don't be offended, I'm just confused as to why the 'army builders' need to show us how many minifigs they have, that came out of a box. Now, if you'd done some customising, that might be worth something...

:D?
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
RoyT
Villein

Post by RoyT »

Personally i dont think this goes in the castle MOC area and there is another thread in which you can post your minfigs.

With that said, if u really want to add some variety and to customize your minifigs with lego you have already have, maybe add a cape or two to some "leaders" of your collection or put some spearmen on horses to make squires or light armor horsemen. These are just a couple of suggestions.

EDIT: Also de-clutter your workspace and maybe set them up nicely before taking the picture. That may help alot. I see seige stuff bunched up together on the corner there that should be nicely lined up. Oh and I do like your collection
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

That is a decent sized Crownie army you have there. I particularly enjoy the skirmishing formation you have your archers in. I would like it if the troops were formed into more distinguishable units but that is my flavor for things. Thank you for posting them. :D
by RoyT » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:11 am

Personally i dont think this goes in the castle MOC area and there is another thread in which you can post your minfigs.
There is no other part of the Forum that is more appropriate for army pictures. This is where they belong at this moment. If the admin's want to make a new subforum section for army pictures it would make me very happy. No thread on the forums this year has had as many views as the size of armies thread. Obviously someone likes to look at these photos and discuss minifig armies. Perhaps army photos would better be seperated into another subforum.

I also do not think that everyone should have to post their army pics in one single thread as RoyT suggested. I see a tremendous number of small MOCs that consist of a few bricks and a few figs and they have their own thread. I never see anyone saying these small MOCs shouldn't be posted at all. If these MOCs can have their own threads then why can't people's army photos.

I like to look at people's armies for the following reasons. I enjoy examining:

Size of the armies and the factions they belong to.
Unit sizes and formations they put their figs into.
How people arm and armor their troops.
Any command structure and which figs they use for commanders/heroes.
Heraldry for thier armies, musicians.
Inclusion of siege weapons or baggage carts.
Cavalry, archer, and foot troop ratios.
Ye Olde Republic wrote: Well seeing as you invited us....
You do have a nice army there but is it worthy of posting and making me/us look? They are, after all, stock crownies. This looks just like my army and about the same size too. Please don't be offended, I'm just confused as to why the 'army builders' need to show us how many minifigs they have, that came out of a box. Now, if you'd done some customising, that might be worth something...
I think when the original poster asked for comments and criticism, he/she was looking for something constructive. I don't think it is up to individual members to judge what is appropriate lego content on the forums. I think it is pertinent to address your post point by point.

The title of this thread says exactly what is contained in it. Torment did not make you look at this thread. He/she took the effort to set up and photograph their minifigs and allowed you to enjoy them as well if you wished to. At worst you should have just clicked back out to the forum as this is obviously not your kind of thing... but you actually took the time to insult the poster and tell them they had no right to post this at all? In fact you insinuate that their efforts were worth nothing...

It is an absurd arguement to think people cannot post their armies on this forum unless they just happen to be larger than yours or at the very least look different.

I don't think it is proper to tell people not to be offended in your post; Only then to post an opinon that questions the legitimacy of a large number of people in the community and the way they pursue their hobby. I was offended by your comments and I have never even posted my armies on Classic Castle.

I will answer your question for you. Army builders like to show their figures from their boxes for the same reason you like to show your bricks you get out of a box. Army builders arrange their figures and accessories in differing ways that some of us find interesting, just like MOC builders do. They are looking for input and friendly discussion about their interests in the lego hobby. I can think of no better place in the world to share their castle lego interests.

Ye Old Republic, I did not mean to offend you. I can understand that you do not like army building and that is fine too. I like your MOCs and input you put into classic castle. I feel all members add to the experience on here.

In conclusion:
I don't think it is appropriate to tell others what should or shouldn't be posted on the forums. I feel this is a job best left to the administrators according to the sites policies. I left this thread unanswered for 2 weeks just to see if they would make an official ruling on this. I for one certainly do not want this site to become censored of any "reasonable" lego content. I like to see everything people do with their lego hobby. I am a bigger fan of some things like MOCs, Battles, and Armies. As a purist I am less interested in customization and gaming. However, I do not think those as unworthy pursuits. I simply look at what I wish to and sift out the rest.

An Idea:
It seems to me that the MOC forum is a very busy place and if you fall behind for a few weeks there can be a huge number of posts to sort through. IMHO, I would prefer if the MOC section of Classic Castle had several subforums. This would make it easier to navigate through things you are interested in. This would also help to find old creations that you want to look at again. I think some subforums could be: battles, contest MOCs, armies and war machinery, vignettes, civilian structures, castles and towers, brick built figs and creatures. Would this be a worthy discussion for a thread?
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

**Gives Dale a giant high-five**
I asked a fair question in my typical no-tact, high ferocity style and finally, someone stood up to show some cahones with a reply of more that "I jess lahk minifigs..."
Don't get me wrong, I'm a minifig guy too and also have some armies but didn't and still don't understand the pride shown by MOCers and fig collectors alike, over their armies of stock figs. I feel that is somethin akin to purchasing multiples of a set and taking some photos to post for "ooohs and aaaahs". Although, now that you bring up that you like to see how other organize their armies into units and such I feel that I can have a better appreciation for it.

You're also correct in that I (and others) shouldn't say "don't take offense" or "I don't mean to offend' or "no offense but" because generally anytime one of those phases are uttered, it is nearly automatic that someone is about to be offended. I'd (and others would) be a much wiser man (people) if I (we) just learned to say "don't be too offended but..."

Oh, yeah....I can't be offended. I take most of what I read on the 'net with a grain of salt. This can be what leads to my tendency to offend at times but I do believe in say what you mean and mean what you say.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Shroud9
Peasant

Post by Shroud9 »

Torment wrote:I would just like to show my nice sized army just over 100 men. While it is a long way from huge. I am pleased with it.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/curt6 ... 0_0799.jpg comments and criticism are welcome!
Thanks for looking!!
THANKS

Y'know, I really do love medium sized armies, your force displays a great mid-sized tactical force arranged in a comprehensive way.

And I too love looking at armies for the reasons described below by DaleDVM :

Size of the armies and the factions they belong to.
Unit sizes and formations they put their figs into.
How people arm and armor their troops.
Any command structure and which figs they use for commanders/heroes.
Heraldry for their armies, musicians.
Inclusion of siege weapons or baggage carts.
Cavalry, archer, and foot troop ratios.

This is an articulate and inclusively defined list of reasons to enjoy viewing army pictures.

And also, these, along with select customizations, are what i also look for in armies creations.

Please keep sharing!
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`• -=Richard=-
Albatross_Viking
Gentleman

Post by Albatross_Viking »

Nice army you got there. Its a good idea to place the archers loose, as a concentrated mass of quite unarmoured archers can get crushed much easier.

A_V
Lenfel Militia & Minister of Information Distribution
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... ald_fl.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/friskywhi ... banner.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/56213339@N07/]FlickR[/url]
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Albatross_Viking wrote:Nice army you got there. Its a good idea to place the archers loose, as a concentrated mass of quite unarmoured archers can get crushed much easier.

A_V
And a concentrated volley of arrows can be quite devastating. At least that is what they did back in the day...
Albatross_Viking
Gentleman

Post by Albatross_Viking »

Exactly!
But if the enmy have better archers than your own, and/or sodliers with large shields that can easily stop a large volley of arrows, having the archers spread and firing at different times might be usefull too :)

A_V
Lenfel Militia & Minister of Information Distribution
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... ald_fl.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/friskywhi ... banner.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/56213339@N07/]FlickR[/url]
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Albatross_Viking wrote:Exactly!
But if the enmy have better archers than your own, and/or sodliers with large shields that can easily stop a large volley of arrows, having the archers spread and firing at different times might be usefull too :)

A_V
If you could point out when that was used historically, then I might believe you. :wink:
Evil Ben
Freeman

Post by Evil Ben »

I like seeing this kind of thing from time to time; thanks for sharing! It's a nice shot, and plenty of thought's gone into the arrangement and posing.
Blue samurai
Villein

Post by Blue samurai »

Blue Samurai turning 60 years old and have collected many armies,most before any of you where alive,Ha Ha.With all collecting it's a personal thing,other people just don't get it and that's okay.My collection of armies is Hugh and every time I walk into the lego room I can't help but smile,so kids keep collecting.I posted my Samurai Army and had 400 looks and no replies,but one.Every week I think I need to sell some,but just can't ,when I grow up maybe next week!!Army Builders Rock!