Username
Councilor

Crown Standardbearers

Post by Username »

gormadoc1
Artisan

Re: Crown Standardbearers

Post by gormadoc1 »

I like number 1 the most because it easily shows the faction of the bearer and its simpleness is what gives of the inspiering ore of it, if you know what I mean. Also where is the grey hood from?
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
DraconisTerrena
Apprentice

Post by DraconisTerrena »

gormadoc1 wrote:I like number 1 the most because it easily shows the faction of the bearer and its simpleness is what gives of the inspiering ore of it, if you know what I mean. Also where is the grey hood from?
I believe that the grey hood is from a HP Dementor. That's the only place I've seen them, anyway.
"A warrior is always joyful because his love is unalterable and his beloved, the earth, embraces him and bestows upon him inconceivable gifts."
-- Don Juan, Tales of Power by Carlos Castaneda
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

OK, its been a long day, so I've chosen an easy MOC to critique... Since tomorrow is shaping up similarly, I'll do the cannon one tomorrow. :D

I made some of these comments over at EB, but I'll reiterate them here.

I think the flags need some kind of flagpoles in them. Maybe some short wizard-wand/lightsaber-blades? I'm not sure I like the 1x1 round plate in the center... not sure why. On the shorter one, I think the shield would look much better in the middle rather than the 1x1 round plate. With the shield up so high, it looks very top heavy. Maybe do something similar with a shield on the taller one? Use the bigger ovid shield on the shorter one and the smaller shield on the taller one.

I wonder how the new King torso would look for standard-bearers? Probably more suited to an aide-de-camp position, but its something to think about.

I like how the hoods look on the guys. Though would standard bearers wear such minimal head protection? I think they'd be heavily armored since its their job to protect the standard with their lives. But the combination looks good. I think it would look even better if you slapped a couple grey capes on them too...

A standard bearer would make a great impulse set. I think you need to do skeleton, troll and dwarf ones next.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

At first glance I like the one with the shield as it more represents the crownies coat of arms and not just their colors like the other banner. I know this sounds silly but I can't tell for sure which I would like because I can't see the back side of them. The back side of army standards really can't be hidden when on display and that side often restricts my use of some parts as they dont look very flattering from the other direction.
Stoob
Serf

Post by Stoob »

both are great, i like #2 a little bit better. nice work
Tycho McKorley
Artisan

Post by Tycho McKorley »

I like them both a lot. I think their simplicity is a major asset.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Tycho123]My Brickshelf Folder[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I'd like 2 more if I had to choose.

What I'd do is mix both by sticking the shield where the gold 1x1 gold round plate is. I think that would be the best of both worlds.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
BrianofBrick06
Foot Soldier

Post by BrianofBrick06 »

I think I like the first design of the two. The soldier could potentially have a little more armor as Athos mentioned, and I too feel as though the flags should have some short poles extending from the sides. All in all, the designs seemed interesting and certainly stood out. Well done...
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Thanks for all of the comments.

Athos - I'd rather not attach the short poles on the side as they just stick out too far for my tastes. If there was a shorter pole, I would. I gave the standardbearers the hoods because I thought it looked good. I meant for these guys to be more of the banner signal types, so I need to develop more standards. Didn't mean for these two to rush off into battle, they just signal who else needs to rush off into battle. :lol: But maybe I could make some mounted (and better armored) standardbearers. I'd like to do the skeletons next as the trolls kinda already have standards (see Dwarf Mine Defender set).

DaleDVM - #1 has a gold stud on the back like the front and nothing behind the shield. #2 is the same back and front.

Heir of Black Falcon - I did wind up combining the shield with #2 and have a gold stud on the back. I could put another shield on the back side, but I think it would make it too bulky.

Now, time to work on a few more. Got a very simple one done already.
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

I think the first design is the better one. It is very effective with the shield and the flags. The second design, even though it is taller, and it should be more impressive the use of the “double” flags does not quite work for me. I think it is because the flags are not long or wide enough. But design one is indeed awesome, I am may make some for my faction/s.
Sheen
Apprentice

Post by Sheen »

I love this idea, great concept! I think the second standard looks way too tall for the fig, but I agree with others that the shield looks top-heavy for the fig's poor little mus-cles. So I'd combine the two ideas as well. These would look great added to an army, though!
Sheen

Avatar photo is a small piece of Black Dragon by Alphonse Capone