Weekly Set Review: The Knight

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

A great impulse set. It's got a great soldier to get lots of, not to mention a great arsenal of weapons, plus the stand itself. You can never, ever, have too many green plates, and same goes for 1x1 rounds too. Brown plates are also uber-usefull. This is a set I could have stood to get many multiples of.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
insurrection
Laborer

Re: Weekly Set Review: The Knight

Post by insurrection »

I can just agree with everyone else, it's a perfect impuls-set: 1 soldier and enough extra accessories to arm another fig, meaning basicly 2 new soldiers for an armybulder. And great part selection for the stand, when I bought my first 8 of these I entertained myself with constructing a small hut-MOC :) I think I picked up around 20 copies in total, and it is also the only set i bought from Fantasy-era except MMV and x-mas calendar.

My only question is which impuls-set people think is better when you writes "one of the better" etc? :tasty:
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

insurrection wrote: My only question is which impuls-set people think is better when you writes "one of the better" etc? :tasty:
Papy.G
Laborer

Post by Papy.G »

It is one of the sets that ended my coming-out of dark ages.
Just as nice as can be an impulse, plus the extra armour pieces.
I got one and the Wizard, first, and was happy to find the reversed print shield. Then, I bought one more, just in case, and didn't open it (don't know wether it has the reversed print too), and bought three more later again, with three more wizard, for further trades, when I saw here they are sought after.
I still see some in stores close to home.
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re:

Post by ottoatm »

Robin Hood wrote:A great impulse set. It's got a great soldier to get lots of, not to mention a great arsenal of weapons, plus the stand itself. You can never, ever, have too many green plates, and same goes for 1x1 rounds too. Brown plates are also uber-usefull. This is a set I could have stood to get many multiples of.

Dan :wink:
Couldn't have said it any better myself. I bought many and am happy to have it. :) This was also pre "battle pack", so it was the only real way to do army building.

That said, the extra pieces are very valuable~
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
ELMAS
Apprentice

Post by ELMAS »

I got 12 of these guys and I could have gone for more. Nuf said.
ClassicJester11
Serf

Post by ClassicJester11 »

ELMAS wrote:I got 12 of these guys and I could have gone for more. Nuf said.
yea! same here. i found this set to be a great army builder! and yes i could have bought more of em'
It twas all fun and games until the the jester brought out his final act of the night..juggling knives while blindfolded.
insurrection
Laborer

Post by insurrection »

Username wrote:
insurrection wrote: My only question is which impuls-set people think is better when you writes "one of the better" etc? :tasty:
1 extra helmet > horse and more weapons :wink:
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

insurrection wrote: 1 extra helmet > horse and more weapons :wink:
I'd rather a visored helm, plums, armor, printed torso, horse and weapons than an extra helmet. :wink:
quaraga
Total n00b
Total n00b
Location: roflysst (rolling on the floor laughing, yet still somehow typing)

Post by quaraga »

I have several cons and 1 pro.

pro: the breastplate is blank and thusly can be used for almost any faction.

cons: the "knight" is more of a man-at-arms I know it doesnt matter but it still bugs me.
The extra weapons and such are not useful with exception to the spear because it works as an oar.
The whole "army builder" thing doesnt work for me, the knights battle pack has more minifigs for (at least last time I checked) only a little bit more cash.

oh and im fed up with flare helms(power to da bullet helm!!)
-T.R.
He who thinks you should look at the box that says "Quaraga" if you want to find out his username (about as useful to you as his real name). he only wants you to look so he can laugh about you looking there because he's a total smart...
Papy.G
Laborer

Post by Papy.G »

Username wrote:I'd rather a visored helm, plums, armor, printed torso, horse and weapons than an extra helmet. :wink:
The price range of the 6009 may not have been as low as the 5615, so to be fair in the comparison, you should consider buying almost two of them, this said, the balance would probably not tend the same way.
I think each is good for its days, but if you'd have the 6009 today for, say, $6-7, you would have complain for a high price per piece.
quaraga wrote:pro: the breastplate is blank and thusly can be used for almost any faction.
cons: the "knight" is more of a man-at-arms I know it doesnt matter but it still bugs me.
The whole "army builder" thing doesnt work for me, the knights battle pack has more minifigs for (at least last time I checked) only a little bit more cash.
oh and im fed up with flare helms(power to da bullet helm!!)
-T.R.
Every man at arm is called knight in the "castle" line, it bugs me too, as the goblins called orcs/trolls.

Even if it would have been the same price/fig, the battle pack has more variety.

For the flare helm, I agree, there is too much of it, but it seems the bullet helm won't be back soon. :mad:
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Papy.G wrote: The price range of the 6009 may not have been as low as the 5615, so to be fair in the comparison, you should consider buying almost two of them, this said, the balance would probably not tend the same way.
I think each is good for its days, but if you'd have the 6009 today for, say, $6-7, you would have complain for a high price per piece.
But insurrection's question had nothing to do with inflation pricing conversions but about what impulses sets were considered to be good or better compared to the Knight. In that light, my comparison is valid.
smegged
Freeman

Post by smegged »

The thing that has only half been mentioned here is the ability to equip out another knight.

This is perfect for all those stupid Jayko minifigs I collected back in the day (to get shadow knights). Jayko's colour scheme fits right in with crown knights and the euro armour and extra helmet effectively doubled the value I got out of the set. A brilliant set and one of the best impulses.
miniflea84
Laborer

Post by miniflea84 »

There's absolutely nothing to dislike about this set, at least the way I see it. I bought 30 or so, and I wish I'd bought more. Better than the orc impulse in that it included a shield. The only thing I don't like about the new castle line is that both impulse sets we've seen so far (while awesome) are of figs that you really only want one or just a few of. I want army builders!
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Nice set, can't complain. I bought quite a few, knowing that I would be kicking myself at some future point if I didn't. I like the Crown faction so extras don't hurt.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!