What theme/genre would you like to see LEGO Castle go next?

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Hello all. Firstly, to the creators/initiators of this site...very nice. jcrasterman is right---PROFIT DRIVEN. It breaks my heart to see my son so taken with Bionicle (wich I think is a total waste of ABS) However it seems to be what the kids want. Ofcourse what alternatives are they given? Remember about 15 years ago, you could get a good pack of men for castle? It had 7 minifigs; 2 black falcons, 2 crusaders, 2forestmen and a peasant. Remeber the last men pack for castle (Fright knights) 3 men, a horse and a WILLA THE WITCH with evrey pack UUUUUSSSSELESSSS!!! If they just brought back the simple, and yet rounded it out with a few good village related buildings....well one can have a dream. The broad brimmed helmets (chapel de fer) are actually very historical accurate and make my play more enjoyable. If they do bring out some new castle line, at least let there be minifig packs worth buying. And if midde ages does not work for those at TLC, what about the Romans? Preference would definitely be 1100-1400 classic castle, brown elements for the siege weaponry, a different pole arm than the "monster axe", perhaps a pike or glaive and not a bunch of useless characters and elements! Here's hoping!
Troy T. Moore
Kev
Bailiff

Crusaders!

Post by Kev »

I'd like to see Lego 'start over' so to speak. and go back and focus on the ca. 1000-1100 period, with simple, square keeps with curtain walls, knights with bucket helms, soldiers with norman-type helms, etc, and a return of the 'pin system' of connecting add-on sets.

Or, rather, what I'd really like, would be some proper Crusader sets, complete with a tan castle along the lines of 375/6080, appropriate equipment, and what the heck, knights with actual crosses on their tunics. The could do them like how they did the Wild West sets, and make seperately available Arab sets complete with tents, horses, camels, etc. Well, that's what I'd like.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

My apologies. The minifig pack I reffered to in my previous post is 6103, 6 figures, only one crusader not 2. I bought 6 when I bought them 12 years ago, so the memory of it is not perfect :D All I know is when I assebled them all on the table, it was impressive! My point was, in order to increase army sizes, if and when TLC puts out new, or riisuues old castle sets, let there be minifig packs that are useful. Kev's idea is pretty neat also. I will do my best not to post "misinformation " in the future.
Magnus
Artisan

renaissance of castle lego

Post by Magnus »

I would also like to see a back-to-the-basics sort of line, modular castles and castle wall sections, buildings which are part of the catsle wall, etc. I think that it would also be great to see more civilian type sets, but I'm not sure how well they would sell. I'm not a big fan of fantasy type catsel lego, I built up an armyof skeletons and stuff, and I've never really used them. It would be cool to see he return of the black Falcons and Crusaders.

Later perhaps they could introduce a sort of sub line of crusading kights in the Holy Land sort of thing, complete with Eatsern type castles (in tan?) and stuff, although I can see that this might be perceived as rather un-PC considering the present world situation.

Some of the new pieces I'd like to see would include: a few new helmets (sallet, Norman helmet, great helm) and weapons (pike, realistic sized halberd, dagger), and castel details like a 1 by 2 by 3 arrow slit, and more curved piece, say a brick that would fit with the "droid escape pod wall" sized pieces.
Stephen
Laborer

Post by Stephen »

Between this discussion and the "Which Castle set would you like to see as a Legend next?" discussion, I'm seeing a lot of desire to return to the modular system that the LEGO company produced in the late 80s. The sets produced around the time the Guarded Inn and Black Falcon's Fortress were first introduced all fit together to make a monster sized castle. (Jojo has a good photo of this at his Brickshelf gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Jojo/ ... odul07.jpg)

The CCC Standard is probably a better version of that. Maybe the LEGO company should take a hard look at that and start producing some new castle sets along those lines. Better yet, maybe they should put some of the new projects in the My Own Creation line.

Stephen
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I'm totally agree with the lasts posts of this topic. Many of us hope that Lego return to the modular system. Those were the golden years of Lego Castle (1984-1990). From 1990, they start to make too many specialized pieces, and creativity was hurt. And today there is too many colors.

I stop loving lego when they stop making happy face lego minifigs. I don't like those face they make since about 10 years. I think that those early years face were more "attaching". They suggested to be happy too. They seem to say to you: "We are happy. You will be happy too, when you'll play with lego."

They rereleased some classic and they choose 6074 and 6067. Maybe it's not a coincidence. Some people at Lego could have realised that they lost in creativity. Maybe they think of making lego castle more realistic. And maybe they realise that modular system was very good.

I hope lego will return in the splendid year 1990 and pursue the golden years in the best direction.

The legend line is an open door for that... :wink:
Hope TLC will take this oportunity.
cheez11111
Gong Farmer

Post by cheez11111 »

I think the problem with the residential type sets is obviously in the marketing to children. But, to say that the times are changing and so are the kids, is to ignore the history of castle themed sets. Nearly Every set that i can recall has had a weapon or soldier or something to fight with. This has added to the excitement factor of the sets and theme in general. Kids have always wanted this. But these sets have also captured the imagination of afol as well. The difference is the building capacity of an AFOL compared to a child. He/she is able to build much more accurate and detailed creations but to a child this accuracy is less important. I remember only a few years ago, I was satisfied with an entire fortress on a 16 x 32 baseplate and an army of 8. Personally I think the theme rather than return to the old, ala legends, should rebirth itself without the mistakes of KK inot something slightly reminescent of the old times. No characters, no movie/story liscenses, no story, perhaps a new faction using elements of old ones( Crusaders meet a new group).
I think it is important for TLC to market to children since that is when most first discover Lego, but they can also make more sophisticated and more adult-appealing sets.
Lego Knight Matt
Gong Farmer

Post by Lego Knight Matt »

(bare with me here i am leading to something, i hope)
i see your point about marketing to children, but too a certain extent, i think TLG need to realize that children are not stupid! its fine to aim at a prodominantly child market, but rather than put in large numbers of specialized, easy build peices, give more standard bricks! this gives the same amount of fun to children as AFOL's and adds to the creativity. the most fun i had with lego is with a pile of bricks a base plate, some figs and an idea! the double bonus is that with, and as you said, as a child you are perfectly happy with a small castle and an army of no more than 8ish, but if the castle line were marketed in this fashion then the appeal to AFOL@s is higher still, as sets would be appealing as multiples, where as a child may buy a set as a stand alone model, an adult may buy several sets and build a bigger, highly detailed setit works on many levels :D

in essence what im saying is if lego is to give castle a second life, return to the old style of brick building, good numbers of Useful figs, avoid usuing expensive premolded parts where possible and encourage playability and creativity,
Did you know that it is perfectly leagal to shoot a scotsman with a long bow within the walls of York?!?
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

As Lego Knight Matt said. Premolded piece are costy and hurt creativity.

If you have more bricks, you can make more things. And Lego could sell us better things at a less cost.

However, some premolded pieces are essential like the castle walls (flat and corner) and horse (i don't want to have yellow castle horse), etc.

But it's truely funnier to build a roof in slope brick, than a premold roof, that you can't use in other way.

Lego could learn from past bad things and past good things. I hope they will made the best for us and for them.

Someone said that Lego are in marketting. I understand it. But i'm not sure they sell more. Here in Canada, it's not so evident. At the end of the 80's there was sometimes completes walls of Lego set, in all themes. Now you have somes boxes. The smallests and the least attractives. If you find something interesting you are lucky. The times have change, but not for the best, here.

I remember all this diminution of stock in all store. It was so strong that in 1995-1996, I was sure that Lego has abandonned Castle theme. This was the main reason for me to stop playing lego. :cry: I was a true Castle Lego fan, and I was disapointed that they stop making castle (That's what I think at this time). When I seen one day a Dark Forest set, I was surprise to constat that they didn't abandonned castle theme.

And when I start to find lego site on internet, I constated that they never stopped making castle theme. But why didn't I see them on store ???

Maybe their set appeal child, but did not seem to appeal parents nor the stores. I heard very often that lego is costy and have to many premolded pieces.

If they make set that appeal child and parents, they are sure to have a better success, because parent will be more inclined to buy nice sets to their child, than thing that will not stimulate their creativity. Kids and parents are not stupid. For my parents it was an important question. "What will you do with that ?" With those early lego, it wasn't hard to justify the buy. :D

We need sets that appeal child and adults. Lego should keep it in mind (because that's not the kid that have the money). :wink:
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Half-timbered houses have their qualities, but I have managed to make 15 assorted half-timbered housed without the aid of an "Official" set from Lego. The Blacksmith Shop was nice, but a 600+ piece house all in light or dark grey brick would have made it a must buy. I did buy one, but once built beside the rest of my village it seems small.

It is unlikely Lego will do much in the way of new lines until Harry Potter dies its much deserved death. Then we will really see what the designers can come up with. Until then, I can see a continuation of the Legends theme with more of the Modular sets. a 6080 re-release as a Legend will I think make the cut by 2005. Other sets like 6041, 6061, 6062 could also see the light of day. 6040 is a long shot as it included the pitchfork and LD doesn't currently allow for the production of new molds.

As noted by Brad's Talk at the NWBrickCon, the Legends line will continue and castle is not going to be forgotten. Perhaps 2004 will be the start of something great for castle.
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I see many possibilities here...

One thing Lego could do would be to release a "Discovery Channel" licensed line of Castle sets like the space shuttle sets they released this year. Since the Discovery space shuttle sets can co-exist with Star Wars, one would have to assume that Discovery castle sets could co-exist with Harry Potter as well. Such sets would obviously be based in reality, but that leaves a lot of good material to draw from. Ancient Greece, Vikings, etc. Somebody else had a longer list, so I won't repeat it.

Another good idea would be to do something fantasy-inspired, but without being retarded like fright nights. We do not need bat-wing helmets, and wide-grinned one-toothed witches. I'd prefer to see regular classic smile and some of the more tasteful custom faces. For example, the man and woman in the Blacksmith's Shop are fine. On the other hand, every figure in Bulls Attack is not fine.

To be successful, they should use the modular concepts from the 80s. Allow the sets to be connected with technic pins. They may as well remain compatible in wall height with the sets from the 80s too. That way they can connect with Guarded Inn and Black Falcon's Fortress.

This would be ideal:

Start with two factions. Give each faction a medium to large sized castle, and a couple medium to small things. Also make one small and one medium-sized civilian set so people can attempt to build something that resembles a town. Finally, release a minifig pack with two people from each of the two factions and a male and female peasant or merchant type of person. This should all be released in January.

Then, in the summer, they should release some more sets, at least one for each faction, one civilian set, and one set that hints at a new faction. The following January, the third faction should get a lot of new sets, but they should be sure to continue expanding upon the first two factions as well.

To keep with the modularity concepts and with the fact that kids want fighting, civilian sets should usually be built into a modular wall section, like the Guarded Inn and Armor Shop are.

The different factions should have obvious differences in the building styles of their wall sections.

The first two factions should probably be human, but a good case could be made for them being humans and goblins (or orcs) too. That would draw a clear line between the two sides. It's a matter of whether or not some fantasy should be involved.

Other possible factions:
Some type of forest person (forestmen or elves)
Dwarves
Aquatic people (mer people, or humans who build things in or over water)
Thieves (something like forestmen or wolfpack from the old days)

In fact, if they do humans and goblins as the first two factions, human thieves should be the third faction which would allow for some civilian sets that have a lot of "combat" play value. For example, an Inn with a secret door leading to a thief's guild, a house with a secret room filled with treasure and some hidden doors with a guard searching the house for stolen goods.

There are a lot of possibilities. However, they should leave possibilities open. if they do use Goblins, which will be considered "bad guys", they should make it less clear how the other factions get along. Let people decide on their own if the other factions are allied against the goblins, or warring amongst themselves while also trying to ward off a horde of goblins on their borders.

What a new castle line should not contain:

Lots of new pieces. Maybe a couple new pieces of minifig gear, but to keep costs down and to remain true to the old castle sets, they should try and use existing pieces as much as possible.

Funny colors. Dark Grey, Green, Brown, and Tan were not really used in the old days, but they are a good thing for castle builders. We don't need any more new colors, there are enough existing colors that are suitable for castle building.

Ridiculous facial expressions. I'd like to see the ratio of females to males improved a little bit, especially for civilian sets, but they should all have normal faces. An eyepatch once in a while is okay. An entire faction made up of ugly men with mean facial expressions who all wear eyepatches is not okay.
medib
Bailiff

Post by medib »

From what Brad (Justice, SVP LEGO Direct) said, the MOC line is NOT dead just like everything else that is put on hold.

The real problem is SKU's. Lego can only put out so
much stuff. I don't mind LEGO's approach to do mulit
licenses (Star Wars, HP, etc).

I only wish they would bring out only a certain amount of
stuff at a time. My budget only goes so far... :?

Anyways, Brad said in his talk (at NWBC) that there are
some real nice surprises in store for 2004.
We've already seen a sneak peek at the 2004 Starwars line,
I wonder what else is going to show up....

Actually, I think it is unfair that FBTB.net gets a first
look at items, when other subtheme groups
Iltco, Scibrick, or our very own Classic-Castle don't
get similar "peeks" at next years product offerings...
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

medib wrote: I think it is unfair that FBTB.net gets a first
How did FBTB get into an exclusive relationship with LEGO? Perhaps C-C.com could do the same...

However, I believe FBTB is forbidden from discussing leaks or anything that isn't officially released. Entering an agreement would probably prevent us from doing the same.

(I am not a lawyer)
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

Actually, I think it is unfair that FBTB.net gets a first
Actually Ben, this is not entirely true.

FBTB and ILTCO both have recieved previews - sometimes ILTCO's coverage has been better than fbtb's because they get several pictures of new releases, as well as the complete layout for the box (both sides,etc).

SciBrick and CC haven't been around long at all, and seeing that there is no active castle or space line, this doesn't surprise me.

HOWEVER, I think a relationship could be cultivated with TLG to get similiar concessions as fbtb and iltco. IN FACT, such a relationship is currently being courted, and once CC.c proves itself (as it is now doing), I think TLG will come to us in many ways.

-Lenny
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

FBTB got to where they are by sharing the best coverage of the SW line, by showing respect for TLC by not covering leaked information, and by nurturing a growing vibrant forum. Eventually TLC noticed and Tim got to know people there, leading to a good relationship these days.

ILTCO got to where they are much more quickly, because the founders of ILTCO already had connections with TLC through train clubs.

I'm not sure if Bionicle Zone gets information first on that line, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

TLC also announces things at conventions like Brickfest, Brickswest, and NWBrickCon.

Basically, TLC is into marketing. They know that by encouraging sites and conventions like these, they generate greater fan interest, and we (AFOLs) in turn do much of their marketing for them. That's why they were sending these "What Will You Create" kits to different LUGs, why there are fan models on display at the Lego Imagination Center in Orlando:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=59003
why there is the MOC line, why they feature kids' creations in LEGO Magazine and on Lego.com, etc.

This site was just established, and as yet has limited content and forum readership. As the content grows, and as the forum gets much more traffic, TLC will see it to be in their intrest to post announcents here. Hopefully this will be sooner rather than later, but if CC.com becomes the force in castle that FBTB is in SW, then you can surely expect to see that here.

Bruce